It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 25  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:38 pm 

Leaf Number: 00000
Nubo wrote:
I think they really need to step out in front of this in a big way, even if they don't yet have all the answers. And not a memo full of disclaimers and spin, but forthright statements and a major unwavering show of commitment, such as a retro-active warranty.

The clock is ticking.

If Nissan was truly surprised to learn of battery issues (and let's be honest; EVERYBODY else knew there would be, including the vocal competition), then they are either incompetent or lying to us.

Decades of battery research by Nissan suggests the latter. Engineers at Nissan didn't likely sign off on this without some influence/pressure; somebody overrode their concerns (I recall Carlos suggesting engineers "never think it's ready") and marketing would have pulled the 100 mile (or 200km) BS right out of the tailpipe.

Then the legal department finds a way to make it stick. Hence, no warranty. Of course, not passing the known high heat / low longevity information on to consumers who haphazardly bought the car in Phoenix will be their ULTIMATE downfall.

Everybody should review the Honda hybrid case. They will fight this to the end, because losing or acquiescing is FAR too expensive. Remember the $1.9 billion they got to start this project; it's just about complete in Tennessee. Mission accomplished.

EVRAV4, was PLGS IN (#2244), & PLGIN2 (#20782)

Range Chart
All EV Rally, BC2BC, Mexico 2 Canada, Aug 10, 2014
100 Mile Club + Longest Drive
Next San Diego EVent
Battery Degradation Summary

Last edited by TonyWilliams on Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:48 pm 

Delivery Date: 29 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 850
I've been visiting Sacramento and the temp pegged out at 111 F today. the AC in the house we are staying in can't keep up. the other night, at 9pm it was still 91F outside. This, IMHO, does not bode well for the Leaf without TMS and or a more robust battery and it's happening in quite a few places across quite a few states. I think it's time for Nissan to stop the press and find a fix before cranking out lots more cars to be sold in locals all across the south where it gets hot and may get even hotter in coming years, cars that ultimately will disappoint buyers in the not so long run.

Nubo wrote:
lukati wrote:
...The temperature resolution is quite poor. The temperature bands are frigid (<15F), freezing (15F-32F), cold (32F-50F), cool (50F-65F), comfortable (65F-75F), warm (75F-85F), hot (85F-100F), and sweltering (>100F). For all bands I took the average temperature in the band and I assumed 10F for frigid and 105F for sweltering. ...

If my experience with Tempe residents is any gauge,
110 = "warm"
115 = "hot"

I'm not sure they would ever admit to "sweltering". :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:46 pm 

Delivery Date: 15 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 0308
GaslessInSeattle wrote:
I've been visiting Sacramento and the temp pegged out at 111 F today. the AC in the house we are staying in can't keep up. the other night, at 9pm it was still 91F outside. This, IMHO, does not bode well for the Leaf without TMS and or a more robust battery and it's happening in quite a few places across quite a few states. I think it's time for Nissan to stop the press and find a fix before cranking out lots more cars to be sold in locals all across the south where it gets hot and may get even hotter in coming years, cars that ultimately will disappoint buyers in the not so long run.

I dunno. I'm in Sacramento and this is now my second summer with my LEAF. While we don't get as hot as Pheonix, we get a few weeks a year well in excess of 100 and temperatures of 110 are not uncommon. No capacity bar loss so far (I don't have a gid meter)...

2014 Chevy Spark EV 2LT
2013 Tesla Model S 60kWh + SC
AV L2 EVSE + kWh meter
9.4kW Solar Array + enphase energy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:49 pm 

GeekEV wrote:
GaslessInSeattle wrote:

I dunno. I'm in Sacramento and this is now my second summer with my LEAF. While we don't get as hot as Pheonix, we get a few weeks a year well in excess of 100 and temperatures of 110 are not uncommon. No capacity bar loss so far (I don't have a gid meter)...

I'll be interested to see if you make it through to fall (post Indian summer) without losing one.

"When the facts change, I change my mind. What do YOU do, Sir?" J.M. Keynes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:24 pm 
Forum Supporter

Delivery Date: 18 Aug 2011
TonyWilliams wrote:
If Nissan was truly surprised to learn of battery issues (and let's be honest; EVERYBODY else knew there would be, including the vocal competition), then they are either incompetent or lying to us.

Tony has been one of the strongest supporters of the LEAF and it is troubling to see the transformation in recent months. I should say that this is troubling for Nissan and it's fledgling EV enterprise because clearly, unlike GM (maybe it's really learned from the EV1 fallout), Nissan has not shown appropriate support for it's early adopters!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:11 pm 

Leaf Number: 00000
eHelmholtz wrote:
TonyWilliams wrote:

Tony has been one of the strongest supporters of the LEAF and it is troubling to see the transformation in recent months. I should say that this is troubling for Nissan and it's fledgling EV enterprise because clearly, unlike GM (maybe it's really learned from the EV1 fallout), Nissan has not shown appropriate support for it's early adopters!

The LEAF is a great car. Even with a screwed up battery pack, for those folks who travel 30 miles or less, I suspect it will be great for a LONG time. Just lease it, don't buy !!!!!

I personally just can't get past the fact that this "train wreck" was virtually preordained. Dumb, dumb, dumb. With everything known about the battery now (and when Nissan released the car), why sell ANY in Arizona or Texas? They would have done quite well just selling the things on the USA west coast.

The battery is the bedrock. It's what everybody asks about. Just a month or two ago, I suggested my aunt in Phoenix get a LEAF. Wow, do I feel stupid calling up telling her that might be such a good idea now, with the current status and likely Nissan "fixes" to "normal" batteries.

I get to tell my Teabagging relatives how Nissan got tons of government money, just like Ecotality, to produce poor designed products. George Bush couldn't have done it better with Iraq; I believed that there must be WMD, and felt pretty stupid after finding the truth.

We've been lied to, and we will again in the future.

EVRAV4, was PLGS IN (#2244), & PLGIN2 (#20782)

Range Chart
All EV Rally, BC2BC, Mexico 2 Canada, Aug 10, 2014
100 Mile Club + Longest Drive
Next San Diego EVent
Battery Degradation Summary

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:37 pm 

Delivery Date: 15 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 015123
I was one of the first deliveries in Florida. I am now at 8 months and over 6K miles with no battery capacity or range loss. I live in Miami and charge to 100% every two to three days. My battery temp is 6 bars.

The temperature in South Florida is pretty consistent, day or night, year-round. The humidity is also consistent (high). I assume the lack of variation in this sub-tropical enviornment is a positive factors for the longevity of my battery pack.

http://pinterest.com/SPIKE09/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:06 am 

TonyWilliams wrote:
eHelmholtz wrote:
TonyWilliams wrote:

The LEAF is a great car. Even with a screwed up battery pack, for those folks who travel 30 miles or less, I suspect it will be great for a LONG time. Just lease it, don't buy !!!!!

I personally just can't get past the fact that this "train wreck" was virtually preordained. Dumb, dumb, dumb. With everything known about the battery now (and when Nissan released the car), why sell ANY in Arizona or Texas? They would have done quite well just selling the things on the USA west coast.

The battery is the bedrock. It's what everybody asks about. Just a month or two ago, I suggested my aunt in Phoenix get a LEAF. Wow, do I feel stupid calling up telling her that might be such a good idea now, with the current status and likely Nissan "fixes" to "normal" batteries.

I get to tell my Teabagging relatives how Nissan got tons of government money, just like Ecotality, to produce poor designed products. George Bush couldn't have done it better with Iraq; I believed that there must be WMD, and felt pretty stupid after finding the truth.

Don't single it down to the West Coast... the car would have been good on both coasts... just not those middle areas where Satan lives. :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:24 am 
Gold Member

Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2011
TonyWilliams wrote:

tony,
you are in great danger of jumping the shark here.
you are writing so fast and furiously that you are making logic and grammar mistakes.
please take a breath. it is not your responsibility to personally drive this situation with repetitive post after post after post.

equating this with the WMD and war with Iraq is just too much.
please.

--
Gardena Nissan, msrp -1k
red SL with etec L3
SOLAR POWERED since 2008

Last edited by thankyouOB on Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:27 am 

Delivery Date: 10 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2331
eHelmholtz wrote:
Nissan has not shown appropriate support for it's early adopters!

Why would you say that?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 25  Next