It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:10 am 

Delivery Date: 16 Sep 2011
Well folks, it came down to this. After losing one bar 10 days ago we began a frantic
search for what our next step should be. I'd like to share my thoughts with other Leaf fans
on MNL.

1. Spoke with several other site members from Phoenix and Dallas that had also lost capacity.

2. Took my car in to the Nissan Dealer (see my post under "Lost a "high-voltage battery status" bar, down to 11" thread)
with rather comical results (I wasn't laughing though).

3. Called Nissan and lodged an official complaint with absolutely no results other than
"its normal, expected loss"

4. Scanned through the warranty documents, Texas Lemon Law statutes, statements by Nissan officials
spoke to a couple of attorneys to see if I had any legal options. Concluded that as long as Nissan
stated that they do NOT warranty capacity, we did not have much recourse other than to wait for
a PR disaster to happen in order for them to rectify this problem.

5. Noticed on our weekly trip to the Farmer's Market in Dallas ( we do this same route every week
after a 100% charge) that we'd lost at least 12 miles of range.

Based on the above we started exploring what the trade in options would be. The Nissan dealer
we bought it from offered us $23K and then backed out. Carmax offered $23.5k (very surprising)

Ended up looking at the Camry Hybrid and the Hyundai Sonata Hybrid. Was really impressed with
the Sonata (our 2nd car has been a 2007 and 2010 Camry hybrid for the last five years)
The Sonata with the ultimate package blew me away. Plus, with this open wound from the Leaf
fresh in my mind, they offer a LIFETIME warranty of the hybrid battery. Worked out a deal
on the phone (with the Leaf trade-in) and arrived at the dealership.

They said everything was good except that THREE of their buyers for the Leaf had all backed out!
I'm saying this to benefit other MNL members if they are considering trading in, the value
is falling like a rock. Waited for a couple of hours while they made calls (I could hear them)
finally found a buyer for $23K. Completed the deal and drove home in the new Sonata.
Despite reports on some websites, averaged 44.5mpg on the 30-mile trip. Its no Leaf, but hey
I don't have to worry about range any more.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the Leaf. The concept, the technology, the quietness of the ride,
(I'm signed up for 100% wind power so I was practically off the grid). But alas, I truly think
Nissan shot themselves in the foot by not responding aggresively to this issue. Moreover
I'd always felt that the true range (about 70 miles) was grossly misrepresented before
the EPA numbers came out.

Thats how my Leaf saga ended.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:21 am 
Gold Member

Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360
I understand your pain and think you made the right decision for you. Interesting that you didn't consider the Volt, though...

ravi100 wrote:
Well folks, it came down to this. After losing one bar 10 days ago we began a frantic
search for what our next step should be.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:23 am 

Delivery Date: 09 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2212
The Sonata Hybrid is a great car. In addition to my 11' LEAF, we got a 12' Sonata Hybrid... I am very concerned about my LEAF's capacity. No lost bar yet however, after 20,500 miles... 8-)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:57 am 

Delivery Date: 21 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 776
Sorry to loose you as an ev early adopter. My Leaf has lost capacity as well, not a bar yet but likely close. As I have a 2 car family, I can absorb some capacity loss, however, I don't like like less range like the rest of us. I just have to drive a bit slower to go the same 70 mile distance as before. Not ideal of course.

This new technology is not right for everyone. In contrast to you I won't sell my Leaf until there is a better EV to buy. Under no circumstances do I want to support the oil industry and the energy security war machine like I had been for so many years. The money I save each month not buying gas pays my car payment. I spend $30 a month to power my leaf and used to spend around $300 a month to power my prius I get free electricity at work as well.

Are the people who are selling after a lost bar overreacting or getting out while the getting is good? We'll see as this unfolds. One thing is for sure I'm not selling and I'm never going back to gas.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:00 am 

I'm very sorry this is turning out this way. Best wishes.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:31 am 
Forum Supporter

Delivery Date: 20 Apr 2011
I can't blame you for selling. An eleven bar LEAF still has a great deal of utility, but the uncertainly as to future capacity losses over the coming years in the Texas heat could be unnerving.

Still, I'd find leasing a LEAF, or purchasing a liquid-cooled Volt or Ford Focus Electric, preferable to buying a hybrid. As much as I like our family's Prius, it still requires regular trips to the gas station and is nowhere near as much fun to drive as an EV.

Basile Enterprises - Custom Software Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:51 am 

Delivery Date: 09 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2212
EVDrive wrote:
Sorry to loose you as an ev early adopter. My Leaf has lost capacity as well, not a bar yet but likely close. As I have a 2 car family, I can absorb some capacity loss, however, I don't like like less range like the rest of us. I just have to drive a bit slower to go the same 70 mile distance as before. Not ideal of course.

This new technology is not right for everyone. In contrast to you I won't sell my Leaf until there is a better EV to buy. Under no circumstances do I want to support the oil industry and the energy security war machine like I had been for so many years. The money I save each month not buying gas pays my car payment. I spend $30 a month to power my leaf and used to spend around $300 a month to power my prius I get free electricity at work as well.

Are the people who are selling after a lost bar overreacting or getting out while the getting is good? We'll see as this unfolds. One thing is for sure I'm not selling and I'm never going back to gas.

+1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:57 am 

Delivery Date: 29 Mar 2012
Leaf Number: 9084
TomT wrote:
I understand your pain and think you made the right decision for you. Interesting that you didn't consider the Volt, though...

Having just leased a Volt to complement my Leaf...

+1

Blue Topaz Metallic 2012 Volt delivered 7/31/12 - Blink EVSE
6kW Solar array

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:25 am 

Delivery Date: 15 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 0308
:roll: Over-react much? But hey, as long as you're happier it was obviously the right decision for you. The LEAF was probably not a good choice for you in the first place if you obsess over the unknown like that...

2014 Chevy Spark EV 2LT
2013 Tesla Model S 60kWh + SC
AV L2 EVSE + kWh meter
9.4kW Solar Array + enphase energy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:44 am 
Gold Member

Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360
Somehow, I've NEVER heard fun and Prius used in the same sentence... That is one of the reasons why we have never considered buying one... We simply won't drive a toaster regularly...

abasile wrote:
As much as I like our family's Prius, it still requires regular trips to the gas station and is nowhere near as much fun to drive as an EV.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next