Free XM Again

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My Wife was looking for a radio station and tried regular XM and it was working again within out all of the preview channels. This is the first time we have tried to use it since our new car subscription ran out, I thought it was just a Memorial weekend special but still working today. Loved the Beach Boys special they had over the weekend on 60's. I also just had the car in for my 1 year service, I wonder if that has anything to do with it??

1051 said:
My Wife was looking for a radio station and tried regular XM and it was working again within out all of the preview channels. This is the first time we have tried to use it since our new car subscription ran out, I thought it was just a Memorial weekend special but still working today. Loved the Beach Boys special they had over the weekend on 60's. I also just had the car in for my 1 year service, I wonder if that has anything to do with it??

I don't think the one-year check had anything to do with it ... I always play from my USB drive, but accidentally paged through to XM and all my old channels were there and they are playing. I just figured they were trying to sucker me in for a subscription.

Who knows?

Dave

It's weird... I'm in month 16 with it still working and still haven't paid a cent to XM...

CWO4Mann said:
1051 said:
I don't think the one-year check had anything to do with it ... I always play from my USB drive, but accidentally paged through to XM and all my old channels were there and they are playing. I just figured they were trying to sucker me in for a subscription.

TomT said:
It's weird... I'm in month 16 with it still working and still haven't paid a cent to XM...

CWO4Mann said:
1051 said:

Same here. I'm just ending month 14. Mine stopped working in June 2011, as I recall. I called them and got a free six month extension. It's still working almost a year later.

1051 said:
They are currently in a free preview from May 22nd through June 4th: http://www.xmfan.com/viewtopic.php?t=118091

Though my car was never properly registered with XM, so it hasn't ever stopped working... Unfortunately they seem to replay the exact same playlists every 6 hours or so, depending on the station, so I don't listen often.

I've never called them and when I get their junk mail I toss it in the trash without opening. The only active measure I did was plug in the code on the first day I had the car.

And I still am trying to get through that USB drive with 8,000+ music tracks on it.

Dave

What brand of USB drive and how large is it? I have a 32gig Patriot that wont play more than 15 sec of a song before freezing up. :!:

jimjudy said:
What brand of USB drive and how large is it? I have a 32gig Patriot that wont play more than 15 sec of a song before freezing up. :!:

Its a Kingston Data Traveler 64 GB you can get them from http://www.newegg.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or sometimes on ebay. I low-level formatted mine using my Linux system, then reformatted with the Linux's "native msdos" format which is a 32-bit type compatible with just about everything. I established a meta-folder "Music" and then established sub-folders for each artist (420+ of them, using the Linux application EasyTag ( www.http://easytag.sourceforge.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) with EasyTag operating in the Command Line mode. It also has a very easy and capable graphical mode which works inside of Gnome, KDE, and all of the other Linux xvid systems and on all variation of the Linux operating system. After establishing the sub-directories, I wrote music tracks to each directory based up the artist. In many cases where Various Artists was the operative description (Like the Putumayo compilations of world music) I simply used "Various Artists". Thus, I might have an album which contains many different music tracks, each by a different compilation of artists, but which can be played either by the artist name or by the title. Once I started EasyTag running through the various tasks, it required about 20 minutes to parse all files. This is on a Linux OS on a dual-core 3.5Ghz system with 16GB of RAM and 1 Terabyte storage in a RAID-0 configuration of 4 1TB hard drives (4 terabytes, but in RAID operation to equal 1 TB). The OS and housekeeping functions run from a Solid State Harddrive (like the old "RAM drives" we set up under DOS which used part of upper memory. The RAM drive I have is "very fast", as in blink your eye and miss the little green LED blinking. Sure beats my old Heathkit H89 Z80.

HTH, YMMV, LSMFT,

Dave

I have a similar problem with two different USB sticks, one more often than the other. I told them at the one year check and after about two weeks the dealer got the OK from Nissan to replace the radio (still waiting for it to come in, we'll have to see if this will fix the problem).

Got a call from XM/Sirus yesterday. They asked me how I liked the service and since my trial is about to expire (after 14 month) and offered me some promotional rate. $4.99 per month for 6 month. I declined, because I was mainly interested in traffic which was an addon.

Odd thing for me is that even free I don't think I'd listen to it much. Sure, a large number of stations, but nothing really struck me as special. Perhaps I have odd tastes or something -and to hear ads on the stations to boot really makes me not want to pay for it. I thought they were supposed to be ad-free (?)

Oh well, glad it is there for those who actually enjoy it. Rather wish I could have chosen an HD Radio - I wonder what they sound like and if stations are any better/different...

60 channels free till Dec 1
Limitation Of Liability
In no event shall I be liable for any direct, indirect, punitive, incidental, special consequential damages, to property or life, whatsoever arising out of or connected with the use or misuse of this product.

It's funny this has come to the top again because I've been listening to XM exclusively since the beginning of November, mostly to avoid having to hear commercials (particularly political ones!).

You may remember that I had slammed the quality of XM after getting it for the first time in my LEAF. Well, now we have an XM radio in the Volt too, I now understand that it's not XM that's at fault...it's the crummy receiver in the LEAF.

That said, I am still willing to settle for poor quality audio (which I've made tolerable by adjusting the equalization a lot) over radio filled with commercial breaks and/or content I'm not interested in listening to.

I find myself going through a bit of a nostalgia kick at the moment, so I'm listening (in order of interest) to 70s on 7; 80s on 8; 60s on 6; and 90s on 9. I've also saved the two French Canadian stations, which I typically listen to when I'm going through one of my "I'm really going to become fluent in French" fantasies.

I received a letter in the mail and called for the free trial which was to include traffic info. What I got5 was one stream of music and no selections. :roll:

Back