Leaf and Progressive Snapshot device compatibility issue?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sub3marathonman

I was wondering if anybody who owns a Leaf and insures with Progressive has used the Snapshot device successfully, or if there is a compatibility issue somehow.

sub3marathonman said:
I was wondering if anybody who owns a Leaf and insures with Progressive has used the Snapshot device successfully, or if there is a compatibility issue somehow.
I am considering this too.... does anyone know if there is a standard diag port on the Leaf? It is typically located under the steering wheel area.

HeyBob said:
sub3marathonman said:
I am considering this too.... does anyone know if there is a standard diag port on the Leaf? It is typically located under the steering wheel area.
Yes, that is where we plug in the Gid-meter.

I just checked the Progressive site and found this: http://fitguide.installernet.com/progressive/progressive8.htm?vehicleid=228999&sid=DB6C6A79-BBAB-4666-8143-5A6FD108E216" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and a picture of the port here: http://contentdocs.installernet.com/images/vehicle/12210.PDF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Still not trusting, I called Progressive and they said that the 2012 Leaf is supported.

HeyBob said:
Still not trusting, I called Progressive and they said that the 2012 Leaf is supported.

I too called, asked about support for the Leaf, without mentioning any model year. After many questions, it was determined that, although the Snapshot device would plug into the data port, as I had tried back in April, there have been no updates and the device will not transmit any necessary data to Progressive.

As a side note, it is a bit outrageous that the few items that Progressive would need aren't standardized for all cars. So it ends up costing a lot more for insurance without the 30% discount, as I was able to get on my 2006 Prius.

Has anybody tried a bluetooth obd2 code reader and the torque app on the LEAF to see what all information is displayed? I'd be curious. I have the tools if anybody close to me wants to give it a try (not that there are that many people near me.)

Old thread, but I just called Progressive and they STILL don't support Leaf.

Ridiculous.

The reason the rep gave was "there's not enough of them out there." What a bunch of BS. I bet there are some cars they do support that have less units on the road than the Leaf.

Progressive is not a very progressive company.

leafgogogo said:
Old thread, but I just called Progressive and they STILL don't support Leaf.

Ridiculous.

The reason the rep gave was "there's not enough of them out there." What a bunch of BS. I bet there are some cars they do support that have less units on the road than the Leaf.

Progressive is not a very progressive company.

The problem is the Leaf, not Progressive. The Leaf has an OBDII port, but does not use the standard OBDII protocol. The Snapshot device will work with almost any car, except the Leaf. It is not cost-effective to try and engineer the device to work with such a small number of cars. They are, after all, trying to find a way to keep rates down, not drive them up.

Thanks for the clarification on why Progressive does not support Leaf.

However, since Snapshot basically beams all the info to Progressive via a cell phone radio without any local processing, I think they could spend a little extra $$$ and decode it accordingly on their server. They could use the same hardware, just update the software.

Yes, there's extra cost, and I'm fine paying for it.

On my Nissan Quest, I got 33% discount after Snapshot.

I would have been happy with 15% discount (for example) on my Leaf to account for the extra $$ Progressive may have to spend - as a one-time development cost - to support the Leaf.

Back