Programming HomeLink Transceiver to operate garage door

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tysleaf

Programmed Transceiver as explained in manual but it doesn't operate my garage door that was installed in 1983.

check your garage door openers they should have a learning button under the hood. You will have to press that button before you try the new remotes or home-link. Keep in mind you have 30 seconds from time pushed to try to activate new transmitters........Not sure if openers from 1983 have that type of system :roll:

1983 opener should not have a rolling code. You should be able to simply program it with your current remote as stated in the manual. "Clear" it first by holding the two outside buttons down for 20 seconds until it blinks rapidly, then hold your remote about 3 inches away from the mirror. Press both the remote and the key you want to program simultaneously and hold them down until it blinks rapidly. If it doesn't work, try a new battery in the remote.

biggest gotcha on homelink for me is this difference:

A. Garage door opener remote requires a single press of the shortest length possible

vs

B. Home link button has to be held for several seconds as it tries a series of codes, keep holding it in until the door starts to move.

I programmed mine in properly and had no idea it was usable until I got frustrated one day and held it in long enough to get something to happen.

My Mom's house has a fixed code door and it programmed just fine for me.
The programming may have been a bit different than the rolling code I have at home but works just the same.

Reset the garage door opener, reset the Leaf Homelink.

The opener learned all the codes on my 3 handheld openers but would not learn the Leaf Homelink codes.

Neither by using the button on the opener and trying to teach it with the Leaf Homelink nor by having the Leaf learn from a remote that worked.

I get all the expected lights on the Homelink (erase, learn without rolling code, what I suppose is a transmittting code: red, etc.) but the door doesn't move.

The only thing I can think of is the Leaf's Homelink is not actually transmitting.

House was built in 1996 pretty sure this is the original opener and the Leaf doesn't detect a rolling code, but even if it had, the button on the opener should have worked.

Any other ideas?

Fixed it.

Reading the manual from Nissan makes it look like using the button under the light lens on the garage door opener itself is only necessary if you have a rolling code. That's how I read it but it's necessary even if you don't have a rolling code.

You first teach the Homelink using the remote you have that is working properly. THEN you use the Homelink to teach the door opener. It's a two step process not just one as it appeared to be to me reading the Nissan manual.

Homelink had much better instructions which are:

(These are for 2011 Leaf SL)

For first time training, press and hold the two outer HomeLink® buttons, releasing only when the HomeLink indicator light begins to flash, which may take up to 20 seconds. (Do not perform this step when training the additional HomeLink buttons.) (beachfitrob note: this erases all codes in the Homelink.)
Position the hand-held transmitter 1-3 inches away from the HomeLink surface (usually located on your visor, overhead console, or mirror), keeping the HomeLink indicator light in view.
Using both hands, simultaneously press and hold both the desired HomeLink button and hand held transmitter button. DO NOT release until the HomeLink indicator light flashes slowly and then rapidly. When the indicator light flashes rapidly, both buttons may be released. (The rapid flashing indicates successful training.)
A second person may make the following steps quicker and easier. Please use a ladder or other device. Do not stand on your vehicle to perform the next steps. On the garage door motorhead, press and release the learn code button - the red LED will begin to blink. (beachfitrob note: my LED is missing or burned out. Just press it once quickly like a doorbell)
Get back into your vehicle and press the desired HomeLink button one time.
Press the desired HomeLink button a second time.
Press the HomeLink button a third time. You should see the garage door open/close. HomeLink programming is complete.

HTH

:D

I know this is old, but we just moved into a place with a garage door opener and our Leaf has no manual. Your instructions worked perfectly!!!

Thanks!!

Back