OMG they used paint from a can to paint my car

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brightonuk

I have had the car for three days and I just touched it with a piece of metal I mean touched it
I now have a 1" scratch in the back

Seriously I just brushed the back. The paint is the cheapest metal paint you buy from HD and spray on a metal surface with no primer as soon as you look at it at scratches.

The wife is gonna bloody kill me!

Brightonuk said:
I have had the car for three days and I just touched it with a piece of metal I mean touched it

Seriously I just brushed the back. The paint is the cheapest metal paint you buy from HD and spray on a metal surface with no primer as soon as you look at it at scratches.

How would she feel if you covered it up with a Sex Pistols sticker? :eek: You know you want to.

Brightonuk said:

Nissan is known for issues with paint durability. I just sold my 2005 350Z which I bought new and had horrible paint issues. Constantly chipping from regular driving. Eventually I had a body shop sand and spray the hood, front air dam, and fenders with clear coat and that fixed my issue. Had someone who inspected paint on vehicles in a previous job take a look and he was able to measure the thickness of the paint/clear coat and said it was 2 mils. From what I understand 4 mils is more the norm for paint/clearcoat thickness.

I get my leaf in a few days and my expectations for the paint quality are so low, I'm sure not to be disappointed. Just happy to get an EV after so many years waiting for the opportunity to own one.

If you are handy with a spraygun it may be a good idea to put another clear coat before the original one gets too worn.. clear is easy to put on and its not an expensive paint..

No idea on paint compatibility issues, but 6 months should be long enough for the original top coat to cure.

It is a lease so this is no big deal for me except my shiny new car has a scratch and I need to face the wife tonight :cry:

However, looking forward 39 months to the end of the lease I for see issues with "Excessive Wear and Use" I guarantee this will be a problem when I try to turn it in.

But that is in three years so why worry now besides I plan to wreck it it least once :lol:

It is really just a word of caution to everyone who is not aware of the paint situation, just dont stare at the paint.

Back