Water dropping from LEAF

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdbmania

I just called my local Nissan Dealer to ask about my car. There's water dripping from undernieth it. He asked if the liquid was colorless and it is. So, it's likely from using the A/C, which I have for the past couple of days. I have been using the A/C a bit more then usual. It was just weird to see. He said it was normal to see it drip from one spot, but it was dripping from two spots for a little bit.

The water if probably condensation. So, I'm not going to worry about it. I'll watch it in case it drops from 2 places again and if it does I might take it in just as a precaution.

As anyone else had this happen so far?

sdbmania said:
I just called my local Nissan Dealer to ask about my car. There's water dripping from undernieth it. He asked if the liquid was colorless and it is. So, it's likely from using the A/C, which I have for the past couple of days. I have been using the A/C a bit more then usual. It was just weird to see. He said it was normal to see it drip from one spot, but it was dripping from two spots for a little bit.

The water if probably condensation. So, I'm not going to worry about it. I'll watch it in case it drops from 2 places again and if it does I might take it in just as a precaution.

As anyone else had this happen so far?

Yes, it's just condensation from the A/C.

Can I ask from where the water was dripping? I had some today just inside the rear left wheel, and traced it to water oozing out of the undercoating on the vertical surface you can see when looking in over that tire, just ahead of and below the damper mount.
Seemed like a strange place.
Don't think I've ever driven it in the rain, and it hasn't been through a carwash in ages.

Shaun

Is it water? Is it clear? Does it have a smell (soak some up in a paper towel and smell that)? What does it feel like, like water, or slippery or sticky? (If you do touch it, rinse it off quickly.) Does the drip recur, or was it an once-only event?

The only liquid I can think of that might be dripping at the rear of a LEAF would be brake fluid, oil from a busted and leaking damper (the "shock"), or from a leaking battery. None of that is good; I would have it checked out soon.

Tt had the (lack of-) smell, clarity and viscosity of water. The patch on the ground was ~6" across.
Hasn't happened again, but I'm keeping my eye on it, especially as I've realized that behind that location is the battery charging and management equipment.

Cheers
Shaun

gbshaun said:
Tt had the (lack of-) smell, clarity and viscosity of water. The patch on the ground was ~6" across.
Hasn't happened again, but I'm keeping my eye on it, especially as I've realized that behind that location is the battery charging and management equipment.

Cheers
Shaun
On some dry pavement, pour water on the top of your car getting it into the gutters toward the back of the vehicle. I think the drains are by the wheel wells and could appear like it was coming from underneath the car when it isn't.

Most likely just A/C condensation water. Water can trickle along a path for quite a ways before finally dripping far from its origin.

Doesn't the A/C turn on whenever you turn on the climate control? I always turn it off, because I'm just defogging the window and we live in Denver where there is no humidity...

I have water dripping on my e ight foot when driving. Dealership says the Drainport for the ac is clogged by debtis and not covered by warranty. They want to charge $700 to fix it. Has anybody cleaned these ports is it something a lay person could do?

okoria said:
I have water dripping on my e ight foot when driving. Dealership says the Drainport for the ac is clogged by debtis and not covered by warranty. They want to charge $700 to fix it. Has anybody cleaned these ports is it something a lay person could do?
I have not looked on the LEAF, but on my previous cars, the port that drain condensate from the A/C evaporator housing (in the dash, in the climate control ductwork) drains through the firewall into the engine compartment onto the ground. Maybe look at the firewall under the hood and see you can find anything obvious?

The condensate line is not a major repair. It is probably easier to replace it with a new one (just bring the old one to an auto parts store) than to try to unclog it.

Back