Abroad Carwings internet connection issues

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blatt

Hello EV community,

I've bought a Leaf in Portugal some weeks ago and am now driving it in Germany. (where it is still not available by now...)

Yesterday I registered for carwings and now tried to enter the login information in the car. This fails because with a "no service" error and the a symbol is displayed at the top right corner.

Is it so that there is no posibility of roaming in other countries than the "original" one? Does anybody has a similar problem or even a solution?
I was thinking about replacing the SIM. Would that work?

Thank you!

I think you will have no chance until Nissan sells the LEAF in Germany.
I don't see them wasting money on a contract with German mobile carriers when they don't sell the car on the country.
If carwings on the Leaf side uses a regular internet connection, any sim card with a data plan would work, but it seems to me that the cars connect to a private data network that only passes data trough the carwings servers to the internet, so, I don't think another sim card would work either.

If you have a sim card on your mobile phone with internet access you can try to put it in the Leaf just to test, but it probably won't work. You can also put the Leaf's sim card in your phone and see if it get's service or not. However, don't make any communications with it, has it might get the attention of Nissan.

RJSC said:
I don't see them wasting money on a contract with German mobile carriers when they don't sell the car on the country.
What if one wants to cross the border i.e. for holidays? Or if you live close to a border and need to cross it from time to time?

The settings screen shows "Telenor" as service provider. Telenors web page refers to Telefonica O2 as roaming partner in Germany and the service is generally available in my region.

Thanks anyways.

If you do have service, an owner in Portugal had a similar problem with carwings that he once solved by disconnecting the 12V battery to reboot the always on GSM module.

Try to disconnect the 12V battery on some spare time when you don't need the car and reconnect it when you come back. Maybe it will help, but I cannot assure it.

Anyway, I don't own a Leaf, I'm just an electronics minded person who is a passionate fan of EVs and helps the Portuguese EV community with technical issues, building charging adapters, etc.

I can only afford used cars for the time being, so, no EV for me. :cry:

It's hard for me to tell based on the description, but when I bought my Leaf the other day (in California) it was initially complaining about being unable to contact the server to log in with my Carwings username and password. We went on to go through the rest of the delivery process as best we could, and happened to ask it to update the nearby charging stations list. We didn't expect that to work because of this communication issue, but it did work. So we tried the login again after that, and it suceeded. Just something you might try if you think you should get a connection in Germany.

Hello,

I brought also a Leaf from Spain and I am driving it now in Germany. I am having the same problem, that it does not get any signal. I will try this afternoon with the reboot method and posts the outcome.

Did you get any further with the problem?

Thanks!

Jm

I had similar issue when driven UK to Ireland, needed to disconnect 12v for few minutes and then everything worked fine.

Mmm, how many are few minutes? I had it 5 and nothing.

doesn't it need to be somehow activated at a Nissan shop? I am afraid my car never had signal before. ...

I have disconnected the battery for at least 45 minutes and the Navigation Display still shows the "without signal" symbol.

I will bring the car on Monday to the Nissan shop, and see what they can do.

@Blatt: How did you end up with your problem?

Fixed.

The telematics module was not "active". They needed to activate it in the Nissan shop by physically connecting to the car.

Everything is working now.

Thnks for the help anyway.

Jm

Back