Center console rebooted while driving

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patrick0101

I was driving and using nav. MP3s were playing from the USB port. I decided I was going to see what charging stations were nearby since I was in an area I had not driven the car before. I tap the screen and it blacked out, music goes silent. Next it is playing the start up music and a second later the nag screen appears. I hit accept, the music picks up right where it left off and the nav voice says "right turn ahead" picking up where it had left off too.

It had not happen before or since. Seems like a one time event. Has anyone else seen this failure?

I've had three reboots while driving since I got the car... I was not doing anything at the time but listening to XM radio with the Nav screen up.

patrick0101 said:
I was driving and using nav. MP3s were playing from the USB port. I decided I was going to see what charging stations were nearby since I was in an area I had not driven the car before. I tap the screen and it blacked out, music goes silent. Next it is playing the start up music and a second later the nag screen appears. I hit accept, the music picks up right where it left off and the nav voice says "right turn ahead" picking up where it had left off too.

It had not happen before or since. Seems like a one time event. Has anyone else seen this failure?

I recently had the center console reboot for the first time. I had just left my driveway in the morning and FM radio was playing. It went silent and when I looked down at the console I saw the "e" splash screen. The system restarted and the radio resumed play. Hope this was a one time event. Anybody else have a recurrence?

Brad

Hmmm... I wonder if these cars passed Nissan's "lightning bolt test". Check this video at the 1:19 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLsZ-zid9sk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tps said:
Hmmm... I wonder if these cars passed Nissan's "lightning bolt test". Check this video at the 1:19 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLsZ-zid9sk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes and keijidosha makes an appearance as well!

patrick0101 said:
Two more reboots this month. Hmmm.. I wonder if I should take it in to the dealership.
I would. That's the only way the Nissan engineers are going to be alerted to the problems--and find fixes/solutions.

I agree.
But call the dealer first and describe the problem accurately,
giving them time to research it with the LEAF Task Force.

That might save you several days in the shop.

If you can, video-record the problem actually happening.

check the "run backup camera all the time" thread... (actually not sure of its exact title but that is the subject)

after exiting that function. the screen goes thru the "reboot" animation but i am beginning to think that is not what it is doing. it appears more like its a bug that is bringing up the "i accept" screen. iow, "another" carwings bug

but then again; i maybe wrong, but if one were playing the odds...

My car finally performed this feature. Quite strange. We did not do anything unusual. Started the car, back out. Once in drive I had to acknowledge the ok on the screen, and this was the only time we touched anything on the center console. About a mile from home, all of a sudden it was silent as the radio was off, and we witnessed the center console re-booting. Radio picked backup and everything seemed normal. Driving was not effected during the event.

palmermd said:
My car finally performed this feature. Quite strange. We did not do anything unusual. Started the car, back out. Once in drive I had to acknowledge the ok on the screen, and this was the only time we touched anything on the center console. About a mile from home, all of a sudden it was silent as the radio was off, and we witnessed the center console re-booting. Radio picked backup and everything seemed normal. Driving was not effected during the event.

Have you had the navigation update service bulletin performed yet? Came out around last fall. Just had mine done and service tech said that rebooting navigation was one of the issues it fixed.

no, but there are about 5 updates listed on the Nissan site that have been released since my last visit sometime last summer. I'm approaching my 1 year checkup and I'll hand them a list of updates. They'll probably have the car all day.

palmermd said:
no, but there are about 5 updates listed on the Nissan site that have been released since my last visit sometime last summer. I'm approaching my 1 year checkup and I'll hand them a list of updates. They'll probably have the car all day.

I hadn't been into the dealer since last June when I picked up the car as well. The updates are relatively quick. They hook it up to their computer which determines which updates are needed. Mine was just two service campaigns or whatever they call them but lots of the different software's were updated and it only took a bit over 30 minutes.

I have had the Feb 2012 s/w update and still have the problem. all 5 times that I saw it was just after pushing the OK button about 30 secs or min later switching from drive to eco mode all of sudden i see the screen go blank and the startup screen and chimes occur. I think that probably carvings is trying to download info, radio is probably off but not always.

pawsouth said:
I have had the Feb 2012 s/w update and still have the problem. all 5 times that I saw it was just after pushing the OK button about 30 secs or min later switching from drive to eco mode all of sudden i see the screen go blank and the startup screen and chimes occur. I think that probably carvings is trying to download info, radio is probably off but not always.

Did you get the Fall 2011 update?

QueenBee said:
palmermd said:

I hadn't been into the dealer since last June when I picked up the car as well. The updates are relatively quick. They hook it up to their computer which determines which updates are needed. Mine was just two service campaigns or whatever they call them but lots of the different software's were updated and it only took a bit over 30 minutes.
I contacted my selling dealer a day or so after getting an email-ed update notification/invitation from Nissan, and got an 08:00 appointment for the next day. Expecting that it wouldn't impact my workday too much, I agreed, and showed up at 07:50. They got right to it, and handed the keys back to me at 10:15. I made some sort of remark like "gee, the email said this would take less than an hour...", and the dealer replied that the hour didn't start until after they'd negotiated the download-the-update procedure from Nissan. Oh. :(

Levenkay said:
They got right to it, and handed the keys back to me at 10:15. I made some sort of remark like "gee, the email said this would take less than an hour...", and the dealer replied that the hour didn't start until after they'd negotiated the download-the-update procedure from Nissan. Oh. :(

Maybe you were the first car they had done and had not already updated their computer with the new softwares from Nissan? Seems like it would have been nice to do that before they scheduled you. After check in/out process, car washing, etc it literally should take less than hour.

My center display screen blanked out today, but the radio kept playing. I could not turn off the radio either. After getting to my destination I shut down ther car and rebooted it. Everything returned to normal.

I realize this is an old, old topic, but my 2014 Leaf has done this multiple times since I picked it up last month. I see mention of some software updates for this but has anybody had this issue fixed by the updates from Nissan? I've taken it to the dealer but they've never heard of the issue nor do they have a fix.

Back