Car won't turn off

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldCoot

I stopped by the Nissan dealer this afternoon, and was talking about new-car problems with [-----]. He asked how mine was doing - I said just fine - I have only 250 miles on it so far, and my only problem is that Carwings on my car and Carwings on my PC have two different passwords, and won't talk to each other; and I'm having a heck of a time making them have the same password. But that's another story.

He mentioned that they had a car in the shop that wouldn't turn off. He said that a team of engineers (his term - are they Nissan reps or is that a new LEAF-term for the mechanics or what?) had completely torn down the electrical system, and after six hours they still hadn't found the problem.

Sorry - I don't have more details, and at this point you can probably call it hearsay.

OldCoot said:
He said that a team of engineers (his term - are they Nissan reps or is that a new LEAF-term for the mechanics or what?) had completely torn down the electrical system, and after six hours they still hadn't found the problem.
Interesting. Yes - they are actually Nissan's support engineers.

Not surprising that could happen, my car electrical system was also torn down for a different issue while it was in repair shop for a week. It's been working great though since then.

OldCoot said:
I stopped by the Nissan dealer this afternoon, and was talking about new-car problems with [-----]. He asked how mine was doing - I said just fine - I have only 250 miles on it so far, and my only problem is that Carwings on my car and Carwings on my PC have two different passwords, and won't talk to each other; and I'm having a heck of a time making them have the same password. But that's another story.

He mentioned that they had a car in the shop that wouldn't turn off. He said that a team of engineers (his term - are they Nissan reps or is that a new LEAF-term for the mechanics or what?) had completely torn down the electrical system, and after six hours they still hadn't found the problem.

Sorry - I don't have more details, and at this point you can probably call it hearsay.
My car is "trying" not to turn off sometimes...Hmmmm. It seem it doesnt like to turn off if I havent driven it. I get the symptom when I am going out to sit in it, and check my charge. I dont drive it, and it seems that I have to take my foot off the brake, then put the brake on, then it turns off....

gkalexdc said:
My car is "trying" not to turn off sometimes...Hmmmm. It seem it doesnt like to turn off if I havent driven it. I get the symptom when I am going out to sit in it, and check my charge. I dont drive it, and it seems that I have to take my foot off the brake, then put the brake on, then it turns off....

Since you don't need the car 'on' to check your charge, just acc, you don't need to depress the brake pedal.

I wish the Leaf had a "Why" button.

Today I got a yellow exclamation point and yellow car. I turned the car off (in a parking space!) and back on, and it was gone. WTF?

Same problem happened to me today!
Pull into my garage and was trying to turn of the car as usual... all of a sudden.. I-Key error, asked me to bring the car to dealer...
tried to turn off... it will try to turn off and turn right back on...

During my drive to the dealership, the display says "T/M Malfunction" also....
and still wouldn't turn off....

anyway, it is in the shop already.... and I have a feeling it will be in the shop for awhile... WTH!

This is happening to me right now, waiting for roadside assistance. I'm at 3332 miles. The dash toggles between "I-key system fault" and "visit dealer" and three warning lights are on: brake system warning light yellow, electric shift control system, and Vehicle Dynamic Control warning light.

The technicians won't be there until morning, so I wonder if the battery will die overnight...

Make sure lights are turned on after taking the ground off so it will discharge the caps, if not it may not reset. I had to to this to get mine to go once.

Uh, is disconnecting the battery when the car won't shut off a wise idea? Not sure how the LEAF voltage regulator works but in most cars if you don't have a battery hooked up the 12V system will easily over-volt and quite possibly damage expensive components.

Okay, so I didn't have to resort to disconnecting the 12 volt battery. I don't even have the tools to do it. Once the tow truck guy came, I tried to demonstrate that the car wouldn't turn off. And of course, it turned off. New problem: The car wouldn't go into Ready mode (the green icon) After a half hour of pressing the button off and on, finally the car turned on and was Ready and all the warning lights from before stayed off. I decided to cancel the tow, just drive home and take the car to the dealership in the morning. When I got to my garage, the car wouldn't turn off again. After an hour, I finally came up with an idea. I plugged in the Blink EVSE. Of course, it wouldn't start charging because the car was on. Then I went to turn off the car and it stayed off! Then I unplugged and plugged the Blink back in and it is now charging!

I took delivery of my car yesterday and had a similar issue when showing my car to the neighbors. The hose was connected to the LEAF and it was immediate charging already. I unlocked the car, got in, pressed the brake pedal and hit start. Car turned on (and was in ACC mode, I assume, since the hose was attached). After we were done, I pressed the brake pedal and tried to turn off the car. But it would not turn off. I believe I also tried to just turn off the car without pressing the brake pedal.

I took the EVSE hose out of the car and then the car turned off just fine. At the time, I thought I must be missing something and would read the manual. But I could not find anything relevant in the manual about this.

Any thoughts what I did wrong? I can easily recreate this problem.

Okay, with the Leaf turned off but the J1772 nozzle plugged in, here is what will happen when you press to On button without your foot on the brake pedal:

1st time - Stereo and basic accessories power on.
2nd time - Car powers on completely (charge meter/battery temp gauges come on), but cannot go into reverse or drive.
3rd time - Car powers off.

If the navigation system is off and there is nothing on the dashboard, but the car "dings" at you when you open the door, that doesn't mean the car is on! Get out, close and lock the door, and all will be good in the world. If the car "beeps" three times after you get out and close the door, then you left the car on.

This has functioned on every Leaf I've messed with. If your car isn't doing the above when pressing the On button, please take your car to a dealer and let us know what they tell you (maybe even make a video to describe to us what it is doing).

garygid said:
You described foot-OFF-brake (ACC Mode) noral operation accurately.

However, the posts above are describing foot-ON-brake difficulties.
Hmm... I'm not sure what the problem is then. If you depress the brake and press the On button while it is plugged in, the car will go into "On" mode, however it won't be "Ready." Keeping the brake depressed while still pressing the On button will attempt to put the car into Ready mode but since it is plugged in still, can only stay in the On mode. Releasing the brake and pressing the On button will power off the car. If your car isn't powering off when the brake pedal is released and you press the On button, you have some sort of problem with your car.

Thanks, everyone. My EVSE is with Ingineer to get upgraded. I'll test switching off the car without my foot on the brake and report back.

I got a chance to charge at a ChargePoint L2 station and tried to recreate the issue but could not. The car turns off just fine as long as my foot is not on the brake pedal. Must have done it wrong when I was showing the car to the neighbor.

Back