Cabin Microfilter Maintenance

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garygid

Is it easy to access the micro-filter that is used to filter the cabin air?

There is no replacement procedure described in the Owner's Manual. Section 4-12 just says the dealer does it.

So, the procedure must be in the Service Manual, which can be downloaded online (with some slight difficulty, in about 51 "pdf" files, for a one-day Subscription cost of about $20), or it can (almost) be ordered at 1-800-450-9491 (appears not yet available, but should be on CD "later" for about $210). The On-line Download sounds like a very good deal, even if a bit time-consuming.

Has anybody tried accessing the microfilter to see just how dirty the filter is?

Thanks, Gary

Well, I took off the cover and saw the white microfiber filter toward the back, but for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to remove it. It appeared to have a clip toward the top of it, but I really couldn't get a handle on it...

Hi Everyone,

I replaced my cabin air filter because I drove through a couple of dust storms in our area. I removed the glove box by first removing the snap-on panel beneath the glove box (pulling straight down), then removed the 4+2+4 screws attaching the glove box. Disconnected the connector to the light and removed the glove box.

I purchased the filter from the dealer the part number was B7891-1FC0A.

The air filter is accessed through the oval opening covered by the white plastic cover. The white plastic cover is attached at both the top and bottom. The top latch is a small tab which fits under a small metal loop. It can be released by pushing down on the clip portion of the top latch. The bottom latch is simpler, it is a wide tab which flexes away (down) to release. The bottom latch is obscured by a cable with runs directly beneath the bottom latch. During removal I bent this bottom latch, because I did not know how it was configured.

One think I would like to mention is that the cabin filter is much wider than the opening. One must flex the ends of the filter to allow it to be removed or to insert the new filter.

The next time I will try to remove the filter without removing the glove box (now that I know how the latches work).

Here are some pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/14104449@N02/

Hope this is useful

I accessed the cabin filter cover through the glove box panel. I tried pushing down on the clip portion of the top latch, but I can't get it to release. Anyone else experienced this issue?

ENIAC said:
I accessed the cabin filter cover through the glove box panel. I tried pushing down on the clip portion of the top latch, but I can't get it to release. Anyone else experienced this issue?
Yeah, it was a pain for me. I removed the access cover inside the glove box and did the filter R&R by looking through the access hole and pulling the filter out behind and below the glove box.
I couldn't release the cover with my finger by just pulling on the clip. I had to carefully release the clip with a screwdriver blade. The access for the screwdriver was also from underneath the glovebox. Still managed to overstress the clip (pawl) so that it is no longer as firm but the cover seemed to be very snug after I finished. Took me about 20 mins. Next time it should only take 5 mins. Easy once you've done it.

A closeup picture of each release, with arrows showing what must be done (mostly by feel) ... would be very helpful.

Is this really meant to be done through the access hatch on the left side of the glove box?

Or, was it intended that the glove box be removed before changing the cabin air filter?

TomT said:
After 12,000 miles, mine is still pristine. At least two years under normal conditions is typical for such filters.

garygid said:
Has anybody tried accessing the microfilter to see just how dirty the filter is?
Only 11,000 mi, but mine was not so pristine...

sparky said:
Only 11,000 mi, but mine was not so pristine...

Mine was better than that, but had some minor evidence of mold, so I changed it out anyway. What I really wanted to do is get a benchmark for whether I could have it be longer between changes than 12 months. My gut feeling is that, with the conditions I routinely expose my cars to, I probably could.

Can one do the filter change with only one hand (attached to a right arm)?

Should I buy a "box of 50" for our Gathering group?
If so, with charcoal or without?

What is a a good (or, the best) proven-compatibility source of lower-cost filters?

Thanks, Gary

garygid said:
Can one do the filter change with only one hand (attached to a right arm)?

Should I buy a "box of 50" for our Gathering group?
If so, with charcoal or without?

What is a a good (or, the best) proven-compatibility source of lower-cost filters?

Thanks, Gary
That's a great idea to buy in bulk. You could host a cabin filter changing party and your next gathering! RockAuto are offering a quality cabin filter for $6 plus shipping. I bought half a dozen. This is the first time I've ordered from them. They also have this higher grade cabin filter from Wix for $19.19 plus shipping.

Wix #24012 air filter $15.26 from Discount Fleet Supply...

http://www.discountfleetsupply.com/wix24012.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

$9.98 shipping when I ordered 3....

Excellent price for that quality of filter!

Randy said:
Wix #24012 air filter $15.26 from Discount Fleet Supply...

http://www.discountfleetsupply.com/wix24012.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

$9.98 shipping when I ordered 3....

Back