Power Anxiety

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earther

Had my first case of "power anxiety" tonight (if there is such a thing...)

Arrived home for the night with a single bar to spare on the Leaf, fairly typical for us on a "double work night", but generally not a problem since the L2 charges us back up to full by the time we leave in the morning. However, when pulling into the driveway, the automatic garage door didn't open. Hmmm... something miscalibrated with the new HomeLink? Nope: power outage. Apparently a big one. PG&E said it covered thousands of homes in the city, and since they had no idea where the problem was they weren't sure if they'd have the power back on by morning -- but they kindly offered to provide a wake-up call to my cell. I spent most of the evening fretting in the dark that even if the power did come on, it had better come on before midnight or we wouldn't have enough time to charge up the car for the commute tomorrow (normally, we have a backup ICE for such unpleasant surprises, but unfortunately it's in the repair shop this week). I kept imagining having to call in late to work tomorrow with the new excuse of "sorry, we had a power outage last night and so I couldn't start my car this morning", and validating every implausible scenario of the EV naysayers! (of course, an ICE vehicle low on fuel would have had the same problem, since gas stations in the area couldn't function either, for that matter).
In any case, all's well that ends well: the power came back on by 7pm. But I must confess to being a bit nervous there for a little while!

earther said:
Had my first case of "power anxiety" tonight (if there is such a thing...)

Arrived home for the night with a single bar to spare on the Leaf, fairly typical for us on a "double work night", but generally not a problem since the L2 charges us back up to full by the time we leave in the morning. However, when pulling into the driveway, the automatic garage door didn't open. Hmmm... something miscalibrated with the new HomeLink? Nope: power outage. Apparently a big one. PG&E said it covered thousands of homes in the city, and since they had no idea where the problem was they weren't sure if they'd have the power back on by morning -- but they kindly offered to provide a wake-up call to my cell. I spent most of the evening fretting in the dark that even if the power did come on, it had better come on before midnight or we wouldn't have enough time to charge up the car for the commute tomorrow (normally, we have a backup ICE for such unpleasant surprises, but unfortunately it's in the repair shop this week). I kept imagining having to call in late to work tomorrow with the new excuse of "sorry, we had a power outage last night and so I couldn't start my car this morning", and validating every implausible scenario of the EV naysayers! (of course, an ICE vehicle low on fuel would have had the same problem, since gas stations in the area couldn't function either, for that matter).
In any case, all's well that ends well: the power came back on by 7pm. But I must confess to being a bit nervous there for a little while!

Get some solar power and battery back up like us :) we never loose power and our EV is always ready to go.. Off Grid living is the place to be baby !! :)

Back