Climate Control Timer Problem

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkStar

Here's how my climate control timer has been set up since I picked up the LEAF three weeks ago:

Timer 1: 6:30 AM
Timer 2: None

Timer 1: Enabled for Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday
Timer 2: Set for Saturday, Sunday (but greyed out)

So far, every Monday, the climate control does not come on at 6:05 AM, but has come on every other day as scheduled. The first Monday (3/28) I didn't even notice, but realized the following Monday (4/4) that it didn't come on either. I put off calling Nissan since I was busy with other things, but the next Monday (4/11) it didn't come on either, but Nissan called me around 11 AM to ask if I had any questions. I brought up the climate control issue and we went through all the settings and verified that they were configured properly. The Nissan agent then noticed I had a timer scheduled to start at 1:11 PM, I definitely didn't have one set, but they insisted that it was coming up. I checked the car at 1 PM and again at 1:15 PM and found no climate control activity at all.

Well, this morning (4/18) my wife and I came out to find a cold LEAF again... I'm starting to wonder if there is some strange timer glitch that sets it for the next "day" instead of the current one... I realized that I'm never awake early enough on Saturday's to see if the climate control came on or not, but I changed my Timer 1 schedule to be Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Sunday to see if that changes anything (like maybe a cold Friday morning).

If anyone else has been noticing a similar issue, please feel free to post your findings. Thanks!

you know what, I just noticed this yesterday. I have mine set to start at 7:40am Mon-Fri. I usually am running late and get into the car at about 8am and it's warm but not very warm. Yesterday though I left my place at 7:30, 10 min. before CC was supposed to start, and when I went to unplug my car, I could hear that CC was on! Then I got into a toasty warm car. And the timer on my nav said 7:26am. So that was really strange. I wonder now if it's been going off early this whole time. I'm going to try to remember to go out tomorrow morning early to see if it happens again.

The 1st clock, displayed on the instrument panel, might be set accurately, but is not used (I think) by the timers.

Is the 2nd clock (used as a reference by the timers) also set properly?

malloryk said:
you know what, I just noticed this yesterday. I have mine set to start at 7:40am Mon-Fri. I usually am running late and get into the car at about 8am and it's warm but not very warm. Yesterday though I left my place at 7:30, 10 min. before CC was supposed to start, and when I went to unplug my car, I could hear that CC was on! Then I got into a toasty warm car. And the timer on my nav said 7:26am. So that was really strange. I wonder now if it's been going off early this whole time. I'm going to try to remember to go out tomorrow morning early to see if it happens again.
You're supposed to set the timer for your "Departure Time." If you leave at 8am, set the climate control timer for 8am. I leave at 6:30 am and have my climate control set for that time, I hear by EVSE turn on at 6:05 am to provide the shore-power to the vehicle for warming it up.

DarkStar said:
malloryk said:
You're supposed to set the timer for your "Departure Time." If you leave at 8am, set the climate control timer for 8am. I leave at 6:30 am and have my climate control set for that time, I hear by EVSE turn on at 6:05 am to provide the shore-power to the vehicle for warming it up.

aahhh, I didn't know that! I thought it was the time you wanted it to start. Well that explains it! thanks, DarkStar!

DarkStar said:
Well, this morning (4/18) my wife and I came out to find a cold LEAF again... I'm starting to wonder if there is some strange timer glitch that sets it for the next "day" instead of the current one... I realized that I'm never awake early enough on Saturday's to see if the climate control came on or not, but I changed my Timer 1 schedule to be Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Sunday to see if that changes anything (like maybe a cold Friday morning).

If anyone else has been noticing a similar issue, please feel free to post your findings. Thanks!
I finally figured it out! I have a timer on my Blink EVSE to do charging from 10pm-6:30am Monday through Friday, and a timer for 12am-11:59pm on Saturday and Sunday.

The Blink EVSE is too dumb to realize that at 12:00am on Monday that it should be on the 10pm-6:30am schedule, so it thinks it shouldn't do any charging until 10pm Monday night. I've changed my overnight schedule to be from 10pm-11:59pm and then from 12:00am-6:30am.

Damn programmers... :D

The Owner's Manual is in need of an update. On page 4-7 CLIMATE CTRL. TIMER it starts off saying: "The air conditioner starts to operate at the time of day and day of week specified in the settings. This pre heats or pre cools the vehicle to a factory preset temperature.."

This makes it sound like the time set is the START time when it is not. Only when you get to page 4-9 does it say you are setting the departure time.

The manual should be making it very clear at the first sentence that you set a departure time and the climate control automatically starts before this time (25 minutes ?) so the car is at a preset tempurature at the set departure time.

This is the way the timer should work but they need to make it clearer.

Anyone know it the remote climate timer (iPhone App, PC) is the same i.e. you are setting the departure time not an absolute start time?

Back