Leaf service campaign announced

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingwindwardnissan

http://www.allcarselectric.com/blog/1058478_nissan-announces-service-campaign-for-all-8000-leafs-over-start-failure

At least we figured it out.... Just FYI for those of you out there that have not heard of the starting issues

Long thread or not - do NOT bother going down to your dealer with any kind of expectation you'll get fixed. Stupid me ... I went to THREE dealers today ... 2 of which had their heads so far up their sphincters they didn't even know what the heck I was talking about. At least the 3rd was able to actually find the written TSB. However, after sending me home, they called several hours later, only to say (in essence), "don't call us ... we'll call you". Long story short, it's gona be a while

This article states that owners will be able to have Nissan technicians come to their residences or businesses to reprogram the software.

http://www.autoobserver.com/2011/04/nissan-launches-leaf-fix-service-campaign.html

Any bets on that actually happening?

Well since i do not exhibit the problem and if i did, i could fix it by a simple battery reset, they pretty much have to come visit me as i doubt i will take the time to go to them.

now, i might let them install it on my 6 month checkup i have coming up in 2½ months...sounds like it will be at least that long before they are ready to do it anyway

As a bonus, it looks like the calculation for the estimated range is also going to be updated with the Service Campaign. I'm looking forward to seeing how this display now reacts in calculating range.

NTB11038

Nissan has determined that some model year 2011 LEAF® vehicles may not go into "READY to drive" mode under certain conditions and, as a result, may not start. Nissan is conducting a Voluntary Service Campaign to reprogram the VCM (Vehicle Control Module)to correct this condition at no charge for parts or labor. As an additional customer benefit, this reprogramming will also improve the accuracy of the Driving Range Display.

palmermd said:
As a bonus, it looks like the calculation for the estimated range is also going to be updated with the Service Campaign. I'm looking forward to seeing how this display now reacts in calculating range.

NTB11038

Nissan has determined that some model year 2011 LEAF® vehicles may not go into "READY to drive" mode under certain conditions and, as a result, may not start. Nissan is conducting a Voluntary Service Campaign to reprogram the VCM (Vehicle Control Module)to correct this condition at no charge for parts or labor. As an additional customer benefit, this reprogramming will also improve the accuracy of the Driving Range Display.
Yep, I noticed that bulletin as well. Does anybody have a subscription to download the details of NTB11038?

I am never in a hurry for updates because they can often be rushed and half-baked. If your car does not start then that is a different issue. #202 is performing perfectly so I am going to wait a few weeks and then check in with what they are doing. If it's just a routine/stable update by then I will get it done. No panic rush for me.

from what I hear, its been revised like 4 times in the past few weeks. Early vins...pre 1K seem to be ok, but Nissan still recommends doing update, I guess updates other features as well, had to check all of the leafs that were just delivered, since we do not have a port to do so

Yes, I got the phone call from Nissan CS today also.

I guess if they had taken the suggestion to make the car updatable from a downloaded file (encrypted for your VIN) on an SD card or USB Flash Drive, they would have missed spending all that time and effort, and the paying of the Dealers for an hour or two of VCM-Upgrade work.

And, we would not have to waste hours or days dealing with some Service Department.

garygid said:
Yes, I got the phone call from Nissan CS today also.

I guess if they had taken the suggestion to make the car updatable from a downloaded file (encrypted for your VIN) on an SD card or USB Flash Drive, they would have missed spending all that time and effort, and the paying of the Dealers for an hour or two of VCM-Upgrade work.

And, we would not have to waste hours or days dealing with some Service Department.

If you are suggesting user upgrades, that would be a servicing and liability disaster for Nissan.

If properly done, there is no reason that a User-Applied Factory-Originated Upgrade would be any more dangerous than ... having a CAN buss port on the car, or a steering wheel.

garygid said:
If properly done, there is no reason that a User-Applied Factory-Originated Upgrade would be any more dangerous than ... having a CAN buss port on the car, or a steering wheel.

I never said dangerous. Liability in terms of huge customer service issues, lock up problems, and stranded cars, related law suits. It makes no sense to be doing major upgrades like this in an uncontrolled environment, people have enough issue upgrading their cell phones. Just think of the logistics and support calls, it would be a customer service nightmare for the average consumers. Nissan can't even answer simple questions or communicate properly.

Back