User avatar
evnow
Moderator
Posts: 11474
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:41 am
Delivery Date: 25 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 303
Location: Seattle, WA

Nissan: restart problems reported in Leaf electric cars

Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:04 pm

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/04/ ... BC20110411
* Problem traced to air-conditioning unit

* Nissan looking into exact cause - spokesman

* No recall planned as issue does not affect safety -Nissan

* Owners reported problem in U.S., Japan

* Shares down 2.2 pct on broad fall in auto stocks (Adds details, background)

TOKYO, April 11 (Reuters) - Nissan Motor Co has received complaints from owners that its Leaf electric car on occasion fails to start, posing a potential setback for the automaker's goal of promoting zero-emission vehicles.

Japan's No.2 automaker said on Monday it was looking into the exact cause, which it traced back to the Leaf's air-conditioning unit. Nissan is investigating whether the glitch was in a certain component or the programming, spokesman Toshitake Inoshita said.

Nissan plans no recall for now since the issue does not affect safety, but will decide how to proceed after identifying the source of the problem, he said.

"When we know the exact cause, we will decide whether to issue a service bulletin, or take other steps," Inoshita said.

He added that the phenomenon was reported in both the United States and Japan, although he did not have an exact figure for the number of complaints.
Here is the long thread about this : http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=3139
1st Leaf : 2/28/2011 to 5/6/2013
2nd Leaf : 5/4/2013 to 3/21/2017
Volt : 3/25/2017 to 5/25/2018
Model 3 : 5/10/2018 to ?

User avatar
LakeLeaf
Posts: 1424
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:15 pm
Delivery Date: 04 Aug 2018
Location: South Lake Tahoe, California

Re: Nissan: restart problems reported in Leaf electric cars

Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:43 pm

Production at Nissan's Oppama plant south of Tokyo, where the Leaf is made, resumed on Monday on a normal basis -- from supplier-delivered parts -- for the first time in a month, after it was halted by a devastating earthquake that rocked northeast Japan on March 11.
That's good news to read.

User avatar
GeekEV
Posts: 1825
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:11 pm
Delivery Date: 15 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 0308
Location: NorCal, USA

Re: Nissan: restart problems reported in Leaf electric cars

Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:06 am

I suppose it had to go mainstream news sooner or later. Let's just hope this doesn't unfairly taint public opinion of EVs. :(

2014 Chevy Spark EV 2LT
2013 Tesla Model S 60kWh[/url]
AV L2 EVSE + kWh meter
9.4kW Solar Array + enphase energy

User avatar
TomT
Posts: 10640
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:09 pm
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360
Location: California, now Georgia
Contact: Website

Re: Nissan: restart problems reported in Leaf electric cars

Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:59 am

The fact that Nissan is saying that it is not a safety issue reeks of BS though... That may come back to bite them on the ass ala Toyota!
GeekEV wrote:I suppose it had to go mainstream news sooner or later. Let's just hope this doesn't unfairly taint public opinion of EVs. :(
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.

Desertstraw
Posts: 250
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:23 am

Re: Nissan: restart problems reported in Leaf electric cars

Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:52 am

We need information from those who have experienced the problem. What does Nissan do to help them?

jamesanne
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:22 pm
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015
Location: Ohio

Re: Nissan: restart problems reported in Leaf electric cars

Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:44 am

mogur wrote:The fact that Nissan is saying that it is not a safety issue reeks of BS though... That may come back to bite them on the ass ala Toyota!
GeekEV wrote:I suppose it had to go mainstream news sooner or later. Let's just hope this doesn't unfairly taint public opinion of EVs. :(
Why do you think it is a safety issue?

User avatar
evnow
Moderator
Posts: 11474
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:41 am
Delivery Date: 25 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 303
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Nissan: restart problems reported in Leaf electric cars

Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:29 am

Desertstraw wrote:We need information from those who have experienced the problem. What does Nissan do to help them?
You haven't read the 55 page thread about it ? ;)
1st Leaf : 2/28/2011 to 5/6/2013
2nd Leaf : 5/4/2013 to 3/21/2017
Volt : 3/25/2017 to 5/25/2018
Model 3 : 5/10/2018 to ?

jcesare
Posts: 583
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:22 pm
Delivery Date: 20 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1290
Location: San Marcos, CA

Re: Nissan: restart problems reported in Leaf electric cars

Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:45 am

evnow wrote:
Desertstraw wrote:We need information from those who have experienced the problem. What does Nissan do to help them?
You haven't read the 55 page thread about it ? ;)
LeafWiki has a pretty good summary of the issue
http://nissanleafwiki.com/index.php?tit ... on%27t_run
Leaf eTec Blue Ocean
Reserved 6/25/10
EVProject approved 1/06/11
Blink EVSE Installed 4/6/11 (Separate meter, ethernet connection)
Ordered 1/25/11 Delivered 4/20/2011

User avatar
TomT
Posts: 10640
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:09 pm
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360
Location: California, now Georgia
Contact: Website

Re: Nissan: restart problems reported in Leaf electric cars

Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:38 am

Scenario: The light comes on while driving. You stop at a light and decide to reboot the car to see if it will go away (you haven't read this forum to understand the consequences of that). The car is then completely dead and stuck in the middle of a now-busy road. Joe Blow doesn't see that you are stopped in traffic that is now moving and rear ends you.

Anything that can make any car stall and not restart in unexpected ways is a safety issue in my book.
jamesanne wrote:
mogur wrote:The fact that Nissan is saying that it is not a safety issue reeks of BS though... That may come back to bite them on the ass ala Toyota!
GeekEV wrote:I suppose it had to go mainstream news sooner or later. Let's just hope this doesn't unfairly taint public opinion of EVs. :(
Why do you think it is a safety issue?
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.

jamesanne
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:22 pm
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015
Location: Ohio

Re: Nissan: restart problems reported in Leaf electric cars

Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:25 am

mogur wrote:Scenario: The light comes on while driving. You stop at a light and decide to reboot the car to see if it will go away (you haven't read this forum to understand the consequences of that). The car is then completely dead and stuck in the middle of a now-busy road. Joe Blow doesn't see that you are stopped in traffic that is now moving and rear ends you.

Anything that can make any car stall and not restart in unexpected ways is a safety issue in my book.
Reboot? Forget this forum, let's consult the owner's manual...
From page 2-16 EV system warning light
This light illuminates if there is a malfunction in the following systems. Contact a Nissan certified LEAF dealer. Traction motor, and inverter system, Charge port or on board charger, Li-ion battery system, Cooling system, Shift control system, Emergency shot off system is activated. See "emergency shot-off system" in the EV Overview" section.

I don't see anything about "rebooting" the car in a lane of traffic on a heavily traveled road that Joe Blow can crash into you on as the result of actions you took, not covered in the owner's manual. A reasonable person would pull off the road and evaluate what is occurring, consult available documentation (owner's manual), and possible use the included roadside assistance.
From page 6-4 Stopping the vehicle
1. Safely move the vehicle off the road and away from traffic...

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”