* Problem traced to air-conditioning unit
* Nissan looking into exact cause - spokesman
* No recall planned as issue does not affect safety -Nissan
* Owners reported problem in U.S., Japan
* Shares down 2.2 pct on broad fall in auto stocks (Adds details, background)
TOKYO, April 11 (Reuters) - Nissan Motor Co has received complaints from owners that its Leaf electric car on occasion fails to start, posing a potential setback for the automaker's goal of promoting zero-emission vehicles.
Japan's No.2 automaker said on Monday it was looking into the exact cause, which it traced back to the Leaf's air-conditioning unit. Nissan is investigating whether the glitch was in a certain component or the programming, spokesman Toshitake Inoshita said.
Nissan plans no recall for now since the issue does not affect safety, but will decide how to proceed after identifying the source of the problem, he said.
"When we know the exact cause, we will decide whether to issue a service bulletin, or take other steps," Inoshita said.
He added that the phenomenon was reported in both the United States and Japan, although he did not have an exact figure for the number of complaints.
Here is the long thread about this : viewtopic.php?f=30&t=3139