Unable to Restart after using AC (was AC causes failure)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leafwing

Hi everyone:
this is my first post. I'm posting this just in case you encounter a situation like mine and after researching the web I could not find any information. If anyone finds any information, please post it.
So, I want to the store, parked the car and could not be happier. It was my third day driving the Leaf. The car is fully charged.
I started the climate control three minutes before leaving the store.
I Got behind the wheel, pushed the start button. The car is ready, but when I put the shift on R and steered the wheel, the ready button was off and the PS (power steering) light was on.
Two master warnings lights are on. The battery check light is on. I turned the power off, waited few seconds and turned back on again.
Five lights are on now: the two master lights, the EV system light, the battery check light, and the PS light. The steering wheel is hard to budge.
To make a long frustrating story short.
The car is sitting now at the dealership waiting for an engineer from Nissan to take a look at it on Monday. The initial test was not conclusive, although two EV components need to be checked. The technician discouraged me from taking the car home until more tests are done.
I'm so disappointed.
Now I miss my Leaf and Prius.

Well, it's unfortunate, and I feel for you. Hopefully it'll be something that's easily fixed. I've had new electronic stuff fail both right out of the box and after a few days of use before. It's just one of those things.

Okay. Deep breath. I'm going to state something obvious, so please do not take this personal because other new drivers have missed it, so if this is it, you will not be the first. Are you sure that you had your foot on the break before you hit the start button?

Ready2plugin said:
Okay. Deep breath. I'm going to state something obvious, so please do not take this personal because other new drivers have missed it, so if this is it, you will not be the first. Are you sure that you had your foot on the break before you hit the start button?

Hmmm.....I would agree, but he said the car was ready. Can the OP indicate how he knew the car was ready? Did you see the green car icon with the back/forward arrows?

When you tried to select gear, did the car beep at you twice? That is an indication of trying to select gear when the car is in accessory mode.

Ready2plugin said:
Exactly my question - but, I'm guessing if Nissan guys are looking into it, this is the first thing they would have asked.

Ready2plugin said:

My foot was on the brake Indeed when I pushed the start button. The technician at Nissan dealership said that the car went into fail-safe mode for some reason.

mwalsh said:
Ready2plugin said:

Hmmm.....I would agree, but he said the car was ready. Can the OP indicate how he knew the car was ready? Did you see the green car icon with the back/forward arrows?

When you tried to select gear, did the car beep at you twice? That is an indication of trying to select gear when the car is in accessory mode.
Yes. The green light came on. I have not heard any beeps when I selected reverse.

evnow said:
Ready2plugin said:
Exactly my question - but, I'm guessing if Nissan guys are looking into it, this is the first thing they would have asked.
Actually not.
I told them that I might have selected gear and tried to pulled out of the parking lot faster than I supposed to, but they said that is not the problem. I have mentioned earlier that the EV system light came on which indicates an issue with the system itself.

mwalsh said:
Well, it's unfortunate, and I feel for you. Hopefully it'll be something that's easily fixed. I've had new electronic stuff fail both right out of the box and after a few days of use before. It's just one of those things.
Thanks for your kindness. That exactly what I thought. It is just a bad luck. May be to counter the overwhelming excitement that surrounded me when I got my dream car.

Every time I run into a post like this (malfunction issues), I get closer to cancelling my order. I don't expect the car to be flawless; but a majority of owners who post on this forum have reported a problem with the car, almost immediately after taking delivery. :? :? :? :? :? :?

derkraut said:
Every time I run into a post like this (malfunction issues), I get closer to cancelling my order. I don't expect the car to be flawless; but a majority of owners who post on this forum have reported a problem with the car, almost immediately after taking delivery. :? :? :? :? :? :?
That is patently wrong - can you back that up with any kind of real facts ? For eg., look at all the deliveries from the spreadsheet and tell us what problems the majority of those have reported here.

Upto you whether you want to cancel or not - but don't spread FUD. There are enough anti-ev types in this world ready to pounce on any thing that is remotely nagative ....

derkraut said:
Please do. There have been a very small number, with all so far getting high level attention. You have to remember that most of the owners with no issues are busy enjoying their cars, not posting that they had no problems.

derkraut said:

Please do not be discouraged. I love the car, I cannot wait to get it back; or if it is a lemon, I will wait for a replacement. I have posted this thread to share my experience with other Nissan Leaf owners, because who else would listen to me?

I just knew lots of folks would jump all over me for having the audacity to question the reliability/dependability of the Leaf. I guess if I wanted to spend a couple days going thru all the posts, I could compile a list of reported problems; but I doubt that it would accomplish anything.

Unless I've been dreaming, I've read lots of posts where owners were disappointed with things like:

1. Carwings not working properly/conflicting with EVSE station. Charging issues, timer malfunctioning.
2. Navigation map errors/out of date
3. Stranded on the road because indicated remaining range went from 16mi to dead within a couple miles?
4. Cold air from the heater for an inordinate period of time before heat comes on
5. Moisture in the tail light lens
6. Reservation/RAQ/Delivery sequence is a joke?
7. Several owners complain about steering issues

Flame on.....my 75yr old skin is pretty thick. :)

evnow said:
derkraut said:
That is patently wrong - can you back that up with any kind of real facts ? For eg., look at all the deliveries from the spreadsheet and tell us what problems the majority of those have reported here.

Upto you whether you want to cancel or not - but don't spread FUD. There are enough anti-ev types in this world ready to pounce on any thing that is remotely nagative ....

Jeez, a majority?! Where did you study your math, derkraut? There have been a very small number, as others have said. Is it possible that you are really tentative about your decision and are looking for reasons to cancel?

Do please understand that this is new technology and the first time that Nissan or any major company has produced an EV in volume for the mainstream consumer market. I'm very much prepared for issues with my new LEAF. When they occur, I will work with my dealer to resolve them and be happy to help Nissan to understand the early failures in this landmark car.

I had that attitude in 2002 when I bought one of the first Infiniti G35s. There were significant issues and the car was back at the dealer about seven times in the first 18 months. Except for premature brake wear, for which Infiniti later reimbursed us, I didn't regret my decision or complain online about the issues. I felt like I was a partner with Nissan/Infiniti and the other early buyers to get this new car sorted out for the US market.

While your decision to stay with your order or back out is certainly yours to make, I'd recommend that you ask yourself whether you are a good candidate to be an early adopter for this car.

derkraut said:
Unless I've been dreaming, I've read lots of posts where owners were disappointed with things like:

1. Carwings not working properly/conflicting with EVSE station. Charging issues, timer malfunctioning.
3. Stranded on the road because indicated remaining range went from 16mi to dead within a couple miles?
4. Cold air from the heater for an inordinate period of time before heat comes on

Flame on.....my 75yr old skin is pretty thick. :)

No flame, but to help balance the 'noise' you seem to be hearing, I will sound off as a satisfied (so far) Leaf driver. I am still working through the extensive electronic controls, but managed today (Day Two) to enter my Carwings password, sync the Homelink control for my garage door, sync/download my Blackberry contact list into the Bluetooth memory, use the Leaf to run my iPod playlist, and even reset the clock in the dashboard (which is not the same as the clock on the LCD screen) and change it from 24hr mode. The manuals are well-indexed, and so far I've found everything I wanted to do. Charging (limited so far) has worked flawlessly with the A/V EVSE here at home.

I understand that the Carwings is an entirely new OS, and it will take me days (maybe several weeks) to become comfortable with many of the features. I signed up for that :D

Our "complaints" are meant to help Nissan improve, NOT to say that they have done a poor car-design job.

Beyond the car itself there have been some "bite-the-behind" choices, and some REALLY bad luck!

I, and many others here, want to HELP make the whole EV Revolution a success, not try to tear it apart.

This EV effort is HUGE, WAY beyond the delivery sequencing.

You may have signed up over a year ago, but Nissan has been working on THIS rollout for AT LEAST three years, probably more.

We "invested" $99, which we get back, and were not even required to make a deposit to order. Nissan has invested Billions.

Please become persuaded to join a splendid Revolt, and help us all to find constructive ways to deal with any little "problems" we encounter along the way.

We have a huge amount of combined experience here.
Let's use it for saving the planet!

derkraut said:
Yes, you have read about those things. So what? I don't care about 1-3, 6 and 7. That leaves 4 and 5 as possible minor issues. If those things bother you, don't buy the car. Generation One is bound to have some kinks in it. That doesn't affect the general usability of the car. I will be taking delivery in about 3 weeks. Nothing I have read in the forums has affected my enthusiasm for this first mass produced electric car.

Back