This is really not a new thing. Almost all dealerships have a "no code, no problem" attitude to car repair.
In your case, a "range test" is sort of meaningless unless you have a flat track you can go around at a constant speed and not fall asleep. In my area, it takes twice as much power to go North as it does go South and it looks flat enough, but it really just has a pretty flat slope the whole way. Additionally when it's rainy, or windy or traffic, range changes. HVAC changes the range quite a bit. Tires and tire pressures change the range quite a bit.
There is a questionnaire on the PriusChat forums for this type of thing. "I bought a Prius and my MPG's are soooooooo low, why?!?!". Most of them are applicable to the Leaf too. Can you answer these questions?
- What fuel economy (mi/kwhr) are you getting and how are you determining fuel economy? (trip computer or manual calculations)
- What fuel economy (mi/kwhr) are you expecting and why?
- What are the approximate outside air temps?
- How long are your trips?
- How much of it is city vs. highway? Roughly what's the average speed in overall and and of each segment? Is there a lot of stop and go driving?
- What region/state are you in? (if you haven't set your location in your profile)
- What's the terrain like of your drives? (e.g. flat, gentle hills, steep hills, etc.)
- How old is your 12v battery? What is the voltage reading of your 12v battery after sitting over night? (Method Here)
- Have you had your alignment checked? Any pulling or abnormal tire wear?
- Are you using the factory tires and wheels? If not, please indicate tire make, model and size (e.g. Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max 185/65R15).
- What are your tire pressures?
- Make, model, year, engine and transmission of previous car? (e.g. 08 Honda Civic Si 2.0L 4 cylinder, manual transmission) What did you actually get on the same trips/commute? (Please give us actual numbers, not EPA ratings.)
- How are you trying to drive (e.g. aggressive, like a grandma, etc) and how hard are you braking?
- Are you "warming up" the car by letting it idle after powering on or running HVAC before entering?
- Are you driving using D or B mode?
- HVAC settings? Are you using the heater, AC, auto mode, etc.? If using auto, what temp is it set to?
- If reporting a mileage drop, did anything significant change on your car (e.g. accident, hit a curb or big pothole throwing off alignment, other maintenance/repairs, changed tires or wheels, etc.) or your commute?
2013 Nissan Leaf SV with every option
2013 Prius C Package 4
2012 Lexus RX450h
2006 Prius Gen II, pIV
2005 Honda Civic Hybrid
2001 Honda Civic EX
1997 Honda Prelude SH
1981 DeLorean DMC12