How To Remove Black Plastic Tray Above Radiator?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobkart

I can easily pull out the six push-pin clips but there are two clips at the front that come from the top of the charge port, where I can see the smooth heads of the clips but have no idea how to remove them.

I see descriptions of this step (in the DIY Horn thread for example) but they gloss over the part I'm stuck on. I'm guessing that means it's easy, but I don't want to pull too hard and break something.

under-the-hood-view-of-nissan-leaf-electric-car-df9484.jpg

It's that wide/flat black plastic piece just behind the charge port.

Thanks for the help MWalsh. I'll take a closer look soon. It's two *front* clips I don't see how to remove.

After I remove the six obvious clips, the front of the tray is still connected to the the top of the charge port recess. Rear edge (closest to motor) is free.

Here's a closer picture . . . maybe the clips I'm struggling with are accessed through those two rectangular openings just behind the charge port.

nissan-leag2016-170.jpg

Oh, I see. It looks like they changed the design. On the 2011 the cowl around the charge port is a separate piece, and the cover just tucks underneath at the front.

Now with that said, the cowl piece on the 2011 just slots into place with some plastic "hooks" on the back side of it. So removal is just tugging at it until it comes loose. I can't say that the same will hold true for you car.

Sorry I can't help further. What about going in from below?

If you go here: https://parts.nissanusa.com/nissanparts/ you should be able to find exploded views of all the available parts. Hopefully there will be a picture that shows how the part attaches or maybe you can find the part number and then google that to see what it looks like.

From the pictures here, it looks like the two plastic rivets you see through those slots might be for holding the bumper cover on:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=25000#p513070

Here you go. Backside pictures of the type of cover you have - 3 push fit clips by the looks of things:

623223NF0A_9.jpg

623223NF0A_6.jpg

Those pictures help, and the advice to try to get a look at the parts in question in a diagram is good . . . thanks everyone.

In fact I went by the parts department today on my way home from work, and his parts diagram was no better than ones I had already seen. Seems the two pins I'm stuck on don't show on any diagram. The parts guy suspected it's because of them being part of the tray itself (i.e. they come with the tray if I were to order it).

Then looking that the thread MWalsh has linked to, it seems like I need to remove the charge port door first, then I suspect the plastic tray can flip forward where the other side of those pins will be accessible. I'll move in that direction next.

bobkart said:
Those pictures help, and the advice to try to get a look at the parts in question in a diagram is good . . . thanks everyone.

In fact I went by the parts department today on my way home from work, and his parts diagram was no better than ones I had already seen. Seems the two pins I'm stuck on don't show on any diagram. The parts guy suspected it's because of them being part of the tray itself (i.e. they come with the tray if I were to order it).

Then looking that the thread MWalsh has linked to, it seems like I need to remove the charge port door first, then I suspect the plastic tray can flip forward where the other side of those pins will be accessible. I'll move in that direction next.

I wouldn't have thought you'd need to remove the charge port door. Just pull up. Or get under the back with a long screwdriver and apply a bit of upward pressure. I can't see the posts on those pictures very clearly, so I can't see if they are there or not, but I'll lay odds there is a barbed clip of some kind that sits on them.

I'd rather not remove the charge port door . . . here's the part of that thread that suggests I may need to:

2--remove the charge port door , 4 little screws
3--remove the big plastic covering the radiator + charge port
, need to split the cover wings around the charge port to exit charge port door inge
Those steps are to access a temperature sender under the plastic tray.

The 'barbed clip' theory is also the one I subscribe to, but (dis)proving that could lead to parts breakage, one reason I stopped in at the dealership today.

I'll play with both approaches . . . I did get a fingernail under one of the clip heads from inside the charge port, and it did seem to want to come out, but couldn't put enough force on it with fingers alone. I'll try a screwdriver next.

Thanks again.

Back