Turtle mode due to attempted charge. How to reset?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

finny47

I've searched the forum and Interweb for answer to the question, but haven't found it.

I've had this happen twice now. Full charge at home then drive to work with around 50% left.
Connect ChargePoint on the J1772. Car doesn't start a charge. Disconnect charger and I get the Turtle mode.

The first time, I was able to get it to reset by driving it around the parking lot and turning it on/off or some combination. Not really sure.
Yesterday, similar problem. Drove it a mile this time in Turtle mode (54% charge), parked it. On/off and I couldn't get it to reset.
Nissan towed it to a dealer. When the guy got it off the tow truck, it was out of turtle mode. Twilight Zone stuff - Nissan dropped me off at a dealer going out of business and wouldn't look at my car. I drove home, charged without a problem. Drove to work today and ChargePoint is charging car successfully.

Anyone know the secret combination of time, power on/off or driving required to get turtle mode to reset for a Quick Charge Comm error?

I have Leafspy pro. I ll report back if clearing DTC is the fix next time. Random so it could be a while

Problem happened again today and on the same ChargePoint station and connector. Car didn't start charging.
Leaving the car in the on position with the Turtle mode displayed on the dash, I opened LeafSpy and did a Read DTCs.
Code B29A0 2408 CHARGER N/CHG Port Engage Err VC-95

I cleared DTCs which cleared the Turtle mode.
Shut off the car, attempted to connect again to the same charger and didn't charge again.
Turtle mode again.
Cleared DTC codes a second time.
Connected to a different Chargepoint port instead of the one giving me the trouble and it worked!

The ability to recover from a failed charge attempt is worth the cost of LeafSpy.

Like the old joke.....

Patient: Doctor, it hurts when I do this!!

Doctor: Then Don't do that...

No **** Sherlock. I intentionally tried to charge at same spot to get the error again. I had three successful charges in between failures.

This information is for someone else who is going to pull up to defective ChargePoint station and instead of attempting to drive away in Turtle Mode which limits you to 25 mph (even at 50% charge), they now understand you can reset it, try again, or find another station down the road.

Back