Removing 2012 Traction Motor

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaximumTurtles

Hi all, first post here, not sure if this is posted in the wrong spot.

I'm in the process of transplanting the powertrain of a 2012 Leaf into a 1938 Rolls Royce Wraith. I'm at the stage of removing all of the components from the leaf, and I'm down to the battery and traction motor. I have some questions about the traction motor.

I'm a master tech with Tesla, and no stranger to removing drive units and engines, but I only have half a day to remove this one this weekend, so I want to make sure I have everything in order first.

I know the service manual says to drop the subframe from the bottom of the vehicle, but
A: I don't have a lift
B: the condition of the donor vehicle is not that important after removal (it's a totaled wreck)

I can bring any tools necessary to the job if I know to bring them, and at the site we have:
  • A forklift
    Lots of jacks and jackstands
    Engine hoist
    Lots and lots of tools

Has anyone ever done this before? If so, what will I need to have on hand, and what is the basic procedure of the job?

The most important thing you should know BEFORE you do this is that the 2011 through March of 2013 build battery packs use a fast-deteriorating chemistry that is even worse when exposed to normal Summer temperatures. I strongly suggest that you discard or sell the 2012 pack and look for a 4/2013 through 2016 24kwh pack. The 2015 and 2016 (first half of the year, later replaced by a different pack) 24kwh packs are the best in terms of overall longevity and heat resistance, but even a later 2013 pack would be better than what you have. Check out the topics on using the LeafSpy app here, to help find a good pack in a wreck. There are also, IIRC, one or two topics on drivetrain swaps...

I can't help you, but I'm very interested in your build. Are you keeping track of it online anywhere? I'm attempting to put a 2014 leaf into a classic Mini, and I'm at the Leaf-teardown phase:

https://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php/nissan-leaf-into-rover-mini-129310-200007.html

If you follow a link or two, you'll find info on dismantling as well as the factory manuals.

Why would you need a lift to drop the subframe?

I did such a project for VW PHAETON and LEAF ZEO (2011) here is my YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC75rlksMCfqc5mU9l1CPYLw?view_as=subscriber

Any log for that build anywhere? I'm wondering how you overcame mating the motor and getting it to work in a different car.

After looking at the procedure to remove the axles and drop the subframe, I'm just gonna cut the axles and pull the motor out like a conventional one.

Found the link to the Rolls Royce conversion: https://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php/1938-rolls-royce-conversion-198261.html

Back