Can you regain capacity bars after cellswaps?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dala

Leaf Supporting Member
As title, say you have a 6bar car, and you open the pack and replace all the 2011 cells with fresh 2015/2016 24kWh cells. This would obviously add the range back, but would the capacity bars come back too after some time?

I thought that didn't work. I thought the BMS never adds bars back...

I think a BMS reset needs to be performed.

Resetting the LBC (Nissan's abbreviation for lithium battery controller aka BMS) using Nissan's Consult 3+ system will restore the 12 capacity bars immediately. Without resetting, the LBC should eventually learn the new battery capacity and restore the bars. This will probably require several full charge and deep discharge cycles as the car is used. There have been a few cases reported on the forum of bars disappearing and reappearing as capacity drops, but I did not see it with my 2011 and have not yet seen it with my 2015. There is enough deadband so each capacity bar I lost has been gone permanently (until the battery in the 2011 was replaced by Nissan).

Our 2014 had 10 bars and about 81.3% SOH when we bought it, but it's now showing 11 bars (not sure of full SOH as it's not fully charged when I saw this question). For some reason ours has been able to recover capacity, maybe it's related to a different usage scenario compaired to the previous owner, I think they charged it twice a day wereas we don't. Possible also the different climate (Japan to NZ).

So yes you can recover bars and in our case, capacity as well, since we were so close to the level change.

Back