Clunk when first pulling out

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbo2ltr

Anyone hear some noises from the front right when first pulling away after starting?

It's not quite a full "clunk", its sort of muted. Sounds like a heavy solenoidal or something of than nature. It happens after you start rolling. Like I usually hear it at the end of my rather short driveway. And it doesn't matter how long the car has been turned on. But it only happens right after a start. I never hear it again the rest of the trip.

It's pretty consistent.

turbo2ltr said:
Anyone hear some noises from the front right when first pulling away after starting? It's not quite a full "clunk", its sort of muted. Sounds like a heavy solenoidal or something of than nature. It happens after you start rolling. Like I usually hear it at the end of my rather short driveway. And it doesn't matter how long the car has been turned on. But it only happens right after a start. I never hear it again the rest of the trip.
I hear the same thing. I just assume it's part of the startup: chime from the dash, whir from the electric parking brake releasing, disclaimer on the nav system, and clunk from the whatsis.

I sometimes get that on the Prius when it's really cold (and maybe wet?) out. I think it's the emergency brake getting stuck/releasing upon slight motion. I religiously set the e-brake every time I turn a car off. Only happens a couple times a year but it's done that for as long as I recall.

It's not likely on a new car, but the front Constant Velocity Joints can make a sound like that too. It's always possible that one of them is not up to snuff...

turbo2ltr said:
Anyone hear some noises from the front right when first pulling away after starting?

It's not quite a full "clunk", its sort of muted. Sounds like a heavy solenoidal or something of than nature. It happens after you start rolling. Like I usually hear it at the end of my rather short driveway. And it doesn't matter how long the car has been turned on. But it only happens right after a start. I never hear it again the rest of the trip.

It's pretty consistent.

I always get that on my ICE car which I have been driving from new since 2.5 years ago. When I asked the dealer I was told it was normal, just the ABS self test or something. It's never caused a problem.

If it is an abs self-test, you can usually feel it lightly through the brake pedal if you depress it just a fraction...

LeafTalk said:
I always get that on my ICE car which I have been driving from new since 2.5 years ago. When I asked the dealer I was told it was normal, just the ABS self test or something. It's never caused a problem.

kolmstead said:
Automatic door locks? They engage at about 15 mph.

-karl

Thats almost insulting. lol.

No, it's not the door locks. The sound is similar to the parking pawl...but not the same. I'll see if I can take a video of it.

turbo2ltr said:
kolmstead said:
Automatic door locks? They engage at about 15 mph.

-karl
Thats almost insulting. lol.
No, it's not the door locks. The sound is similar to the parking pawl...but not the same. I'll see if I can take a video of it.
I should have added that to my startup sequence: chime, parking brake, disclaimer, clunk, door locks. Clunk happens just after shifting into "D", but we always back out of the driveway so that may be a red herring.

[UPDATED] The other reason I haven't paid attention to the clunk is I owned a 1999 Dodge Durango that did exactly the same thing, even when brand-new.

An internal power relay, perhaps one to activate the DC-to-DC (12v) converter?

If you sit still in "R" (or "D") for an extra minute before backing out (moving forward), does the "clunk" happen before actually moving the car?

I get the exact same clunk. Wondered what it was. I get it when I am am backing out of my driveway. It's pretty subtle and quiet... but pretty consistent. I thought it was more from the rear or the car.. but I will have to listen more carefully next time.

-Peter

garygid said:
An internal power relay, perhaps one to activate the DC-to-DC (12v) converter?

If you sit still in "R" (or "D") for an extra minute before backing out (moving forward), does the "clunk" happen before actually moving the car?

It's not a contactor, the DC/DC is on when the car is on.

Back