Turn Off Daytime Running Lights

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdcbomb

I couldn't find anyone else reporting this issue, but I'm trying to find a way to turn off completely the daytime running lights when my 2018 MY is in drive mode. I sometimes prefer to leave the climate heating / cooling running with lights off when waiting or picking up something.

I've tried every setting on the light stalk and even in the full off position, the LED strip above the lamps remains lit. Compared to my previous vehicles owned, this is the only one where I cannot fully turn off my lights. Especially at night, these DRLs are incredibly bright and obvious. Is there a setting or trick to turn them off?

On my eGolf, the DRL's will shut off if both the car is in Park and the parking brake is applied. Have you tried this?

funny you mentioned the park + parking brake on, method...i happened to Google this and saw the workaround for newer Honda owners that wanted to experience a drive thru movie without bright DRLs.

Just tried a variation of the method...and it works!

Steps:
1. Turn car completely off.
2. Confirm Parking Brake is on.
3. Turn car on into drive mode (foot brake must be depressed otherwise only accessory power is on).
4. Turn light stalk into full off position.
*If arriving at a location in drive mode, car must be cycled off completely or DRL will stay on no matter what position light stalk is in.

I can't get the park brake solution to work for me (2015 Leaf in Norway). Has anyone wired in a switch? I think I saw a solution using a piggyback fuse/switch thing located under the bonnet but I cannot find this again. Any help would be appreciated.

lostraveller said:
I can't get the park brake solution to work for me (2015 Leaf in Norway). Has anyone wired in a switch? I think I saw a solution using a piggyback fuse/switch thing located under the bonnet but I cannot find this again. Any help would be appreciated.

I thought DRLs were required by law in Norway?

I WISH my entry-level 2015 LeafS had the DRL's. My car is dark gray, blends in with the color of asphalt roads. I just keep my headlights on at all times, and ignore the warning chime when I'm leaving the car (lights cycle off after 25-30 seconds)

I WISH my entry-level 2015 LeafS had the DRL's. My car is dark gray, blends in with the color of asphalt roads. I just keep my headlights on at all times, and ignore the warning chime when I'm leaving the car (lights cycle off after 25-30 seconds)

Doesn't the Gen I Leaf have a switch position for parking lights only? I've gone that route on other cars.

LeftieBiker said:

Doesn't the Gen I Leaf have a switch position for parking lights only? I've gone that route on other cars.

Depending on the car, a parking light may not be sufficiently bright enough. I know on my 2012 Leaf with the LED low beams, the parking light is a tiny bulb that emits white light, and isn't very bright. Models with all-halogen headlights use a reduced-brightness amber turn signal bulb for a parking light and those might work a bit better.

Has anyone looked into Leaf Spy for this? This issue just came up for me as I'm a member of our local Astronomy club, and our observing location has a rule about no white lights at the site (incl. parking lot) as people are often observing on clear nights (i.e. long exposure astrophotography). So the custom is that as you're driving up the access road in the dark, you switch off your headlights and only have non-white running lights on to see where you're parking. The DRL's are a problem if I can't turn them off while still driving in this situation - or I stop and cover them with a red filter strip, actually maybe that's the simplest solution. But if anybody came up with another solution, let me know! Thanks.

Before you get too close to your destination, pull over, set the light stalk to off, put the parking brake on, turn off vehicle completely. Then, ensuring the light stalk is fully in the off position, turn the vehicle back on, release the parking brake, and the DRL should be off.

I have a 2018 LEAF and here are my results for the parking brake process; please note that my headlights were always in the OFF position:

1. I stopped and put the car in park and engaged the parking brake (eyebrow lights still ON)
2. I turned the car OFF (eyebrow lights go OFF)
3. I pushed on the brake and turned the car ON (eyebrow lights stayed OFF); great for drive-ins.
4. I turned the parking brake OFF (eyebrow lights came ON)

So. This process is great for drive-in movies or just staying in the car with heat/AC on but no lights. However, there is no way to put the car into drive without the eyebrow lights coming back on; they come on the second you release the parking brake. I see no way to keep them OFF except through figuring out which of the myriad of wires in the plug actually supply power to the eyebrow lights and putting in a switch. I would consider doing that but I don't wish to chop up a cable, one lead at a time, trying to find the right wire. Well, at least my wife can stay in the car now without those lights on and still have heat/AC.

Thanks for the suggestion!!!

I wonder if this is somehow what I accidentally have done... My DRL worked fine until a couple of days ago but suddenly stopped.

Would there be a procedure to re-enable DRL?

My 2016 Leaf is imported to Canada from California and had DRL enabled when I bought it in Vancouver, BC. The DRL was essentially low-beam headlights and came on as soon as I pushed the start button. There is no fuse dedicated to DRL and there is no "auto" setting on my headlights.

Many thanks for any help you can offer :)

It's very likely that Westwood Honda originally imported your LEAF, as they have been doing that for years now.

I would give them a call, provide them with your VIN number, and ask them if they installed the DRLs.

Otherwise, Precision Auto would be able to help you out:

https://www.precisionautoservice.com/

Back