Battery Pack Swapping

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lothsahn

I have a 2011 Leaf with no heated seats or steering wheel. Therefore, I'm pretty sure that I don't have the battery heater. The battery is also original, so I'm down to 7 bars.

I'm seriously considering doing my own pack swap. There's a 2015 wreck local to me that I can get for a reasonable price and I want to get my hands dirty.

I have a few questions:
1) Can I install a 2015 pack into a 2011?
2) Will a Nissan dealership be willing to do the pairing process?
3) Will the lack of battery warmer cause a problem? Does the new wiring harness go to the battery warmer? Can I just leave the battery warmer disconnected?
4) Does anyone have the part numbers for the wiring harness adapter from 2013+ to 2011/2012?
5) Does anyone have the part number for the battery bracket adapter from 2013+ to 2011/2012?
6) Is there anything else I'm not thinking of or anything else that will cause compatibility issues?
7) If all else fails, I can do a cell swap, but I really don't want to do that.

mwalsh said:
I personally don't think you'll find a way to do it other than swap modules into your old pack.
Agreed! There are a few youtube videos in Russian (or closely related language) that showed a module swaps. I had a non-technical friend listen/watch and he seemed to agree that module swaps and NOT full battery swap was the only way it would work. Plus, there were lots of little problems with BMS compatibility, so (I think) that you must use the old BMS (but don't quote me on that).

Reddy said:
Plus, there were lots of little problems with BMS compatibility, so (I think) that you must use the old BMS (but don't quote me on that).

The biggest problem with using the newer BMS is programming the matching pack ID into the car's ECU. Impossible without the SD card loaded with the ID and a Consult (2+ or better, IIRC) tool. If you swap your old BMS, the pack ID already matches that in your ECU. :D

Back