Loose Door Handle - chrome cover - Looking for Fix

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmcjetpilot

The chrome cover over the handle is loose. Door handle still works fine and is secure, it is just the cover.

What is the fix? Thanks.

gmcjetpilot said:
The chrome cover over the handle is loose. Door handle still works fine and is secure, it is just the cover.

What is the fix? Thanks.

See this topic
https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=23465#p485402

ElectricEddy said:
gmcjetpilot said:

What is the fix? Thanks.

See this topic
https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=23465#p485402

Yep looked at thread. One issue is the whole handle gets loose and you just tighten it. There is a video in the thread link above that fixes that. Great. That is not my issue.

My issue is the chrome cover gets loose is the other issue and what I have. Two choices outside of warranty, GLUE or try and get Nissan to replace the handle out of warranty (or pay out of pocket). I'll keep you updated. Thanks for the help.

From the other thread

I should have taken pics, but what I did was slide a piece of gaffers tape (cloth duct tape) between the outer plastic shell part and the inner part. Then trimmed the tape so it was flush with the handle. Then pushed the plastic part back on. Basically it made the inner part just a bit thicker and gave the outer plastic shell some surface to grab. I did this last winter thinking it would be a temporary fix until I could take it apart in summer and try to glue it or something. It has held it in place pretty well and I am not touching it, of course it will probably pop off in the dead of winter again...

BrockWI said:
From the other thread

I should have taken pics, but what I did was slide a piece of gaffers tape (cloth duct tape) between the outer plastic shell part and the inner part.
Great idea. I think I talked Nissan into buying me a new handle.... I'll keep you updated. If not the tape or glue idea will work. Chrome cover is not totally detached... just loose in the back. The key part is good.

Yes, ours was the same, the handle functioned fine and work unlocking and locking and opening. But the plastic chromed cover popped off on the back side, a broken clip that used to hold it tight, on rear side of the handle.

gmcjetpilot said:
BrockWI said:
From the other thread

I should have taken pics, but what I did was slide a piece of gaffers tape (cloth duct tape) between the outer plastic shell part and the inner part.
Great idea. I think I talked Nissan into buying me a new handle.... I'll keep you updated. If not the tape or glue idea will work. Chrome cover is not totally detached... just loose in the back. The key part is good.

@gmc Mine had this problem too. What I did was use JB Weld. Some glue is visible if you hold your head directly above the handle and look down but overall I would say it doesnt look bad. When I stick my hand in to open the door I can feel its a little bumpy back there. I did this probably 9 months ago and no problems since.

If you read my description of my repair in the other thread (which I started), you will read that I used a file to smooth the JB Weld residue. The JB Weld repair is doing fine for me also. I have never had the loose lock issue described by a couple of others later in that thread.

Back