Still getting T/M malfuction after new 12V battery

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tobleafornot

Starting getting the dreaded T/M malfuction last month. 2012 Leaf just hit 44k miles. Finally got a new battery, charged it up and still getting the error unless i have it on the battery charger overnight. Seems like i have a 2AMP load somewhere when the leaf is off while the leafspy can connect for the 5 seconds when the leaf is turned off. I tried pulling some of the interior fuses, but drain seems to be the same. Is there anything in leafspy i can dig into to see what could be causing this?

Did you pay for the upgrade to 3G TCU? If so, that could be causing issues.

Since pulling the stereo fuse seems to "fix" the TCU lockup/unresponsiveness issues, that might also stop the TCU from drawing power.

tobleafornot said:
Starting getting the dreaded T/M malfuction last month. 2012 Leaf just hit 44k miles. Finally got a new battery, charged it up and still getting the error unless i have it on the battery charger overnight. Seems like i have a 2AMP load somewhere when the leaf is off while the leafspy can connect for the 5 seconds when the leaf is turned off. I tried pulling some of the interior fuses, but drain seems to be the same. Is there anything in leafspy i can dig into to see what could be causing this?

There is a small relay in a relay box under the hood on the passenger (right) side of the car up high near the firewall that switches power to the "Transmission Control Module" (Nissan's name in the service manual). I had that relay stick closed intermittently and that would cause the T/M error message. It also caused a draw on the 12-volt battery when the car was not on.

tobleafornot said:
Thanks for the tip, i know where that fuse box is. What is your recommendation? Should I take the fuses off? For how long?

Read one of the (many) TCU threads: you may ultimately need to know more than just which fuse to pull.

Stanton said:
tobleafornot said:
Thanks for the tip, i know where that fuse box is. What is your recommendation? Should I take the fuses off? For how long?

Read one of the (many) TCU threads: you may ultimately need to know more than just which fuse to pull.

I did not upgrade to the 3G unit. Will that still affect me?

tobleafornot said:
Stanton said:
tobleafornot said:

I did not upgrade to the 3G unit. Will that still affect me?

Didn't notice that fact, but it should have a huge impact because AT&T discontinued 2G service a couple of years ago.

Be aware, the T/M warning is not related to the telematics control unit. T/M refers to the module that monitors the shift lever and controls the park gear. Check for a sticking relay as I noted earlier if you get this warning display on the dash.

Back