"Tink"

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgeliot

That's the small sound my 2017 Leaf has started to make as I accelerate from a stop, or apply the brakes. It's as if there's some component of the suspension that's slightly loose, and shifts back and forth as the stresses go between positive and negative acceleration. It started out very quiet, and is ever so slowly getting louder. My judgment on this has been confirmed by one other person who isn't normally attuned to mechanical sounds.

The sound itself I isn't an issue, but I know full well that loose attachment points can wear inordinately quickly, so if something is coming lose, I want it fixed.

Has anyone else ever experienced this?

I had an issue like this with my 2012 LEAF at relatively low mileage. Noise happened during the start of acceleration or the start of deceleration. It was sort of a "click" or "tick" noise. "Tink" to me sounds like there's some sort of resonance, and if that's the case, you may be looking at a broken spring.

The sound I experienced was due to a hub nut being loose and torque being applied to the cotter pin. That cotter pin went through the hub nut and prevented me from losing a wheel. So you might want to take it in to the dealer to have them check it out.

100% common problem.. hub nut needs tightened to torque spec. This is probably a good thread to ask around to see if this has turned into a recurring issue after multiple dealer visits by anyone?

It could be a mfg defect and the hub nut could be loose. Or it could be a loose shock mount or other suspension component. In any case, just about any possibility should be covered under warranty. If it is easily reproducible, I'd bring the car to the dealer, show them the problem and let them figure it out and fix it. If it is a loose hub nut you should be able to see that (at least on my S it would require just pulling off the hub cap).

I'd be very wary of driving with a loose hub nut since that probably supplies the pre-load to the wheel bearings which could be damaged if they are not in spec. And if the hub nut comes off you could easily loose control of the car. It's the kind of thing that should get fixed right away.

My 2013 also had an incorrectly torqued left CV shaft causing a "tink"/clunk. The torque spec is 133-136 Ft Lbs.

Lots of info on these forums for that issue...

Do a Google search for this:

Code:
NTB 12-055b site:mynissanleaf.com

My 2013 also had an incorrectly torqued left CV shaft causing a "tink"/clunk. The torque spec is 133-136 Ft Lbs.
I have a factory spec of 95 ft-lb, 130 N-m from a service manual from 2014. Did they update this spec to the 135 somewhere? Interestingly, on the service bulletin it specifically singles out the 2013 as having a torque of 89 ft-lb, 121 N-m and says to consult the electronic service manuals for other LEAF years.

Back