Rock hit my windsheild but most of the damage is on the inside.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eaglockhart

I have a 2018 Leaf, with about 5000Km.

A small stone was flung into my windshield by a truck in front of me. When I went to examine the damage there is a small mark on the outside but small shards of glass on the dashboard on the inside.

It's a small chip, I will get that fixed before it becomes more of a problem.

I'm concerned about the glass on the inside. If this rock had hit at eye level would there be shards in my eyes? Is this something that can happen?

Is the windshield defective? Has anyone else had this experience?

You're saying the inner glass layer shattered enough to drop glass shards on the dash? If this is the case, I would consider it to be a serious manufacturing defect.

I've never heard of this before. Can you post a photo?

With sufficient impact energy, the inner surface can experience the larger damage, sort of like an "exit wound". Since the windshield is tempered safety glass I'm sure the "shards" you're talking about are quite small. Tempered safety glass works well but doesn't guarantee that a small chip of glass won't contact occupants. It's there to prevent large razor-like shards from causing massive injuries.

Example of windshield after impact from BB gun:

AR-306149965.jpg

Understood. However, the splintered inner glass should be held in place by the vinyl-like material laminated between the layers of glass.

I suppose there's always the freak combination of temp/stone shape/angle/velocity that might cause this sort of damage.

gncndad said:
Understood. However, the splintered inner glass should be held in place by the vinyl-like material laminated between the layers of glass.

I suppose there's always the freak combination of temp/stone shape/angle/velocity that might cause this sort of damage.

Yeah, a picture of the actual damage would help.

Thanks for the replies. I'll try to get a picture that shows what I'm talking about. It really is so tiny. I was mostly concerned that there may be a manufacturing defect with the windshield that needs to be addressed. Also... sorry it took me a while to get back to this, I thought i would get an email notice when someone responded to my post. so i am surprised that is not the case.

Hello!

Im new here, from Paraguay South america. We haven't so many Leafs there, and recently i cracked my windshield, also with a rock from a truck...
I wonder if there's an equivalent of the windshield in another nissan Model? example: Qashqai or so, because for me, it will be difficult and expensive to get the original glass replacement.

Thank You! :D

Back