12V issues and replaceemnt recommendation

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TXLeaf

We have a 2015 leaf. My wife tends to leave the door open often, and the 12V car battery went down. I jumped it using a home charger a couple of times and that seemed to keep it going, but this last time that didn't work. Charging it kept it going for a bit, but now it will reach the initial screen on charge but won't fully start. Called AAA last night. The tech said the battery was at 7.5 and that usually kicks in most cars and he didn't think it was a battery issue. he did not replace it, asked us to tow the car.

Wanted to get advice on whether to try to replace it, and with what product, where to purchase, and if I should take it to a Nissan certified leaf repairman to replace it. If so - any recommendatiosn in DFW? thank you

There are more than several topics on this. Get a 51R size AGM battery and it shouldn't happen again unless you keep the car plugged in for days after charging has ended, or you run it in accessory mode (always use Ready mode) for long periods.

TXLeaf said:
We have a 2015 leaf. My wife tends to leave the door open often, and the 12V car battery went down. I jumped it using a home charger a couple of times and that seemed to keep it going, but this last time that didn't work. Charging it kept it going for a bit, but now it will reach the initial screen on charge but won't fully start. Called AAA last night. The tech said the battery was at 7.5 and that usually kicks in most cars and he didn't think it was a battery issue. he did not replace it, asked us to tow the car.

Wanted to get advice on whether to try to replace it, and with what product, where to purchase, and if I should take it to a Nissan certified leaf repairman to replace it. If so - any recommendatiosn in DFW? thank you

7.5 volts is dead-flat for any 12V lead-acid battery.

As Leftie says, 51R is the correct size and terminal orientation and AGM type suits the car's behavior and has several advantages.

A Nissan tech is not required. As long as you have the right size and orientation (51R), replacement is straightforward; all you need is a 10mm wrench. If you're unfamiliar, there should be plenty of YouTube videos to show you how to do it safely. If you're still unsure, any shop can replace the 12V battery.

Even wrong terminal orientation would work, or course "reverse polarity" is exact fit. I would go to with LIFEPO4 upgrade. Those batteries would keep idle voltage around 13.35V and outlast any Acid batteries with 1/3 of the weight.

Back