2016 Nissan Leaf does not charge

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atlantic

2016 Nissan Leaf with 24kW pack. Was charging fine for about 6 months. Recently stopped charging both trickle and Level 2 charger. Charge procedure will start, but stop after about 2 minutes. EVSE diagnostics indicates only very low amperage (0.5A) during this time and then turns off. Multiple chargers have been confirmed to work with other Leafs. There are no timers etc. Tried to charge the 12V battery without luck.

Note: This car is in an unsupported location and cannot be easily serviced by a trained Nissan technician.

The LeafSpy fault codes are:

B29C1 2308 CHARGER EVSE VC-98

P3171 000A EV/HEV PD Module System EVC-241
P3170 000B EV/HEV PD Module System EVC-241
P316C 000B EV/HEV PD Module System EVC-238

any help would be greatly appreciated.

atlantic said:
Multiple chargers have been confirmed to work with other Leafs. .
Please clarify.

You might try clearing the DTC codes on the off chance this will be enough. If LeafSpy does not have the ability, disconnect the 12v for 10 minutes.

SageBrush said:
atlantic said:
Please clarify.

You might try clearing the DTC codes on the off chance this will be enough. If LeafSpy does not have the ability, disconnect the 12v for 10 minutes.

I've tried two different Juicebox PRO 40 (one being the one that was previously charging the vehicle) and the trickle charger. Cleared all DTC codes after leaving car disconnected overnight (12V battery) also charged 12V battery during this time.

Phatcat73 said:
Try replacing the 12V battery

I've charged the battery overnight and it is reading 13V with the ignition off (assuming it isn't charging from the drive battery). I am nearly 100% sure the 12V battery isn't the culprit here.

atlantic said:
SageBrush said:
atlantic said:
Please clarify.

I've tried two different Juicebox PRO 40 (one being the one that was previously charging the vehicle) and the trickle charger. Cleared all DTC codes after leaving car disconnected overnight (12V battery) also charged 12V battery during this time.
And I take it that a different car can be charged with those EVSEs at your home ?

SageBrush said:
atlantic said:
SageBrush said:
Please clarify.

And I take it that a different car can be charged with those EVSEs at your home ?

I haven't tried that specifically. I might try the chargers at a different location if there is any reason to believe that this could make a difference. It's not like we have the cleanest electricity here, but then I've tried at various times during the day.

Since it is well possible that I will have to replace the PDM: Any indication on how difficult this task could be? Got current service manual for the vehicle, but would love to hear from anyone who has put their wrenches to this part of the vehicle.

atlantic said:
SageBrush said:
atlantic said:

I haven't tried that specifically. I might try the chargers at a different location if there is any reason to believe that this could make a difference. It's not like we have the cleanest electricity here, but then I've tried at various times during the day.
I agree that it is a long shot, but you may as well rule out the house circuits as the culprit

atlantic said:
Since it is well possible that I will have to replace the PDM: Any indication on how difficult this task could be? Got current service manual for the vehicle, but would love to hear from anyone who has put their wrenches to this part of the vehicle.
Might not be the problem but worth a read:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=24560

and : http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=24696

Just an update on this. I ordered a new PDM and replaced it last night. Car is charging again! It's not terribly difficult with a few 10 mm and 13 mm wrenches. Bolts are mostly easy to access, but will require the removal of windshield wipers and upper cowling. Didn't follow the exact workshop manual instructions and disconnected the harnesses in place vs removing everything and opening the case outside of the car. The case is glued shut, so a small crowbar goes a long way. When closing the new case you will need some kind of glue - I used silicone sealant, but I am sure there is some kind of official glue/sealant. A full 'official' list of parts would be: PDM (look up the exact number on the right side decal), Nissan logo (can be re-used from old cover), safety decal and glue/sealant. As always, disconnect the battery or you will die!

Thanks for all the help!

Hello,

Why have you replaced it yourself?
If it's on a 2016 Leaf everything is still under warranty... Well now maybe not anymore, but the PDM is a bit pricey by itself.

Back