Disabling Automatic Door Locks at 24km/hr

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there any way to disable the automatic door lock when it reaches 15mph or 24 km/h?

I can't seem to find anything in the manual or the driver settings to do this.

thanks

Unknown what model year the OP has, but on pre-'18 Leafs, it can be disabled via Leaf Spy Pro via the service screen that must be enabled via settings.

Otherwise, it'll need to be a dealer service dept visit.

backtolifeback said:
Is there any way to disable the automatic door lock when it reaches 15mph or 24 km/h?

thanks
The automatic lock system has 2 types ; (1) All doors are locked when the vehicle speed reaches 24 km/h (15 MPH) and (2) All doors are locked when shifting the select lever from the P position to any other position other than P.

The automatic door lock function ON/OFF can be switched by performing the following operation.
1. Close all doors (door switch off)
2. Power switch OFF-ON
3. Press and hold the door lock and unlock switch (the little switch with the 2 padlocks on it in the drivers armrest) for 5 seconds or more in the lock direction within 20 seconds after turning the power switch ON.
4. The switching complete when the hazard lamp blinks.
OFF-ON : 2 blinks
ON-OFF : 1 blink
Quoted from DLK-23 service manual 16 leaf available at

https://www.nissan-techinfo.com/deptsubs.aspx

ElectricEddy said:
backtolifeback said:

thanks
The automatic lock system has 2 types ; (1) All doors are locked when the vehicle speed reaches 24 km/h (15 MPH) and (2) All doors are locked when shifting the select lever from the P position to any other position other than P.

The automatic door lock function ON/OFF can be switched by performing the following operation.
2. Power switch OFF-ON
3. Press and hold the door lock and unlock switch (the little switch with the 2 padlocks on it in the drivers armrest) for 5 seconds or more in the lock direction within 20 seconds after turning the power switch ON.

My issue is (1) All doors are locked when the vehicle speed reaches 24 km/h (15 MPH)

I will try your instructions and report back.

thanks.

I followed the instructions and was having trouble, so I stopped by a Nissan dealership who knew nothing about it. I showed him the instructions. He tried it 2 times. The 2nd time worked!

Thanks Electriceddy! :)

backtolifeback said:
I followed the instructions and was having trouble, so I stopped by a Nissan dealership who knew nothing about it. I showed him the instructions. He tried it 2 times. The 2nd time worked!

Thanks Electriceddy! :)
Happy it worked for you . Hope you didn't have to pay them to do it :eek:
The service manual link I provided is well worth the $20 , 24H to download the large PDFs and related TSBs.

ElectricEddy said:
armmynissanleaf said:
It's a safety feature, why would you like to disable it? My car's door-lock is not disabled.
Save wear and tear on the actuators
+1
And it's a PIA when dropping someone off, to have to try and find that damn unlit door unlock button in the dark :x

jjeff said:
ElectricEddy said:
armmynissanleaf said:
It's a safety feature, why would you like to disable it? My car's door-lock is not disabled.
+1
And it's a PIA when dropping someone off, to have to try and find that damn unlit door unlock button in the dark :x

Totally agree. My daughter is also learning to drive, so when she practices parellel parking, I can open the door to show her the distance from the curb. Also added some convex mirrors.

arnis said:
Why is it counted as "safety feature"? Where I live, there has been zero "carjacking on the go" for years.

The doors have to be unlocked before they will open. The automatic locking prevents the door from being opened while the car is moving. It is a safety feature to prevent passengers from opening the door and falling out at speed, not to prevent access from the outside while moving.

Haha. Doors can still be opened with one pull. Even if locked. So no. Not that :D
If we are talking about children, one should use child lock anyway as rear passengers
can unlock the door if central lock is locked.

arnis said:
Haha. Doors can still be opened with one pull. Even if locked. So no. Not that :D
If we are talking about children, one should use child lock anyway as rear passengers
can unlock the door if central lock is locked.

Not here. That is one reason why you see so many complaints about the unlock button with no light. One pull does not unlock and open the door. The door has to be unlocked before the handle will engage the mechanism to open it. And yes, child locks should always be engaged on the doors when transporting children.

arnis said:
Anyway, I see no additional safety with adults.

Adults, or anyone old enough to understand and work the lock, can easily over-ride the safety feature. It just keeps the doors from being accidentally opened while the vehicle is moving (or intentionally opened by someone not thinking rationally).

jjeff said:
ElectricEddy said:
armmynissanleaf said:
+1

Changing it to unlock when the car is in Park largely fixes that problem of trying to find the door unlock button in the dark. It is also safer for people to exit when you are in Park than when in drive as the wheels are locked.

ElectricEddy said:
backtolifeback said:

thanks

2. Power switch OFF-ON

Just used this to disable the auto-locking on my new '23 Leaf - thanks for the tip!

Back