TMS Error Codes Help

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarPortal

I'm searching the forum (unsuccessfully) for info on the following error codes and what may cause them:

CAN Error TMS-73
Comm Err EVC-257
CAN Error EVC-277
CAN Error TMS-74
MOTOR CONTROL CAN Error TMS-72

I found some info that indicates that these errors can stem from a low 12V battery, but the car had a new 12V installed prior to delivery to our customer last Friday.

The car starts, but will not shift into drive. It's asking that the brake pedal be pressed even though the driver is pressing the brake pedal at start.

He provided me the codes after taking a shot at resetting them.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Customer is waiting for a tow truck to take him to the nearest Nissan dealer.

You haven't included your model year, this is for the 2013:

http://www.nicoclub.com/manuals/Leaf/2013%20LEAF/

Just open the appropriate manual and you'll find the individual DTCs within the pertinent manual

It’s a 2015 LEAF S. Thanks for the link.

Update: After two hours of waiting for the tow truck and I’m guessing dozens of attempts, the car started normally right as the tow truck arrived and started lowering its flatbed.

Sounds like the 12V battery isn't in good shape. Low voltage can throw all sorts of weird codes.

Have the 12V battery tested and replace it if necessary.

We put a new 12V in the car to make sure it was perfect. Very small chance it’s a bad 12V. I’m not familiar with exactly how the 12V is maintained...maybe that’s the problem.

Thanks for the link to the manual. I cannot open it from my phone, but will check it out in the office tomorrow.

Hi Leftie, I checked it and don’t remember the exact numbers, but they were very good (voltage and amps) when it was installed. I don’t know...it’s wierd...thanks for chiming in and helping all. First glitch ever in CarPortal’s short history. Hopefully it gets sorted out this week at the dealer.

All of the errors you listed are CAN Bus communication errors. As noted by others, low 12-volt battery is a common cause of errors. I had those error codes and many more when the 12-volt battery failed in my 2015 a few months ago.

Our customer had the dealer check the car out. The new 12V we installed prior to delivery is solid. The error codes were "old". The car is in perfect working order. Odd, but ok for now.

Even though this was a trivial issue, It feels good to know there is a community of enthusiasts I can tap into as we continue to grow our business. We just add Fiat 500e's to the inventory...haven't found a similar community around that car, but the numbers are much smaller.

Thanks Again

Ravi an CarPortal

If the OBDII standard required date codes for the errors that are logged many of these types of problems could be avoided. It's too late to retro-fit that hence the common advice to 'clear all DTC's and see which ones come back'.

Back