Start button "BONG" sound while driving

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dedwards

So while I am driving I will sometimes hear the "BONG" that you hear when you press the Start button. This is not the Navigation tone that was mentioned in another thread. No error codes via LeafSpy and no error on the display. Nothing seems wrong with the car. Often I won't hear it at all, sometimes once during a 20-minute drive. Sometimes in a group of two or three within a couple of minutes.

LeafSpy reports good voltage on the 12V. The main battery is 77% SOH, but that is a different issue ;)
I have not replaced the key fob battery, but I don't know if this is related.

2016 SL

I haven't seen this mentioned before. Any driving issues?
You can change the startup sound to silence via the menu buttons but of course that will just cover up whatever the underlying problem is.

Do you notice any alerts on the dash display when this sound occurs?

Nubo said:
I haven't seen this mentioned before. Any driving issues?
You can change the startup sound to silence via the menu buttons but of course, that will just cover up whatever the underlying problem is.

Do you notice any alerts on the dash display when this sound occurs?

The car drives fine always. No indications of anything, no errors or warnings. No error codes with LeafSpy.

The only thing I noticed is it kind of seems to happen when I change lanes on the freeway. Maybe when I do high-speed (80mph) regeneration in "B" mode. I don't remember it happening any other time then light traffic on the freeway.

If I can't figure it out soon I will take it to the dealership.

ElectricEddy said:
Is the outside temp 3 degree C (37F) when this happens?
Built in frost warning.

That also generates a popup text warning on the dash - or at least it did. It's easy to tell if it's that, unless they foolishly eliminated the message.

Some setting in the Navagation features? I remember hearing about a similar comment before, but don’t remembers the solution.

Perhaps it’s beeping (BONGING) every time you pass by a gas station you don’t need to use :D

Nope, not the door locks, or temp. I did have a low-pressure warning and popup in the last few days, but it was real. But I have been watching the pressure closely until I can replace the tire. I was able to make the sound happen yesterday on my way home. I was in "B" doing 80mph on the freeway. I let up on the pedal and signaled to change lanes. As soon as I signaled it happened. But I could not get it to happen again though. It does seem to happen most when I change lanes on the freeway.

Once I get the tire fixed, I plan to video record the sound and when it happens.

It might be a "door not latched" sensor that is marginal since it happens when changing lanes. Make sure there are no seat belts caught in the doors and that they are all c!osed tight. Also check that the rear hatch is tight!y closed.

lkkms2 said:
Some setting in the Navagation features? I remember hearing about a similar comment before, but don’t remembers the solution.

Perhaps it’s beeping (BONGING) every time you pass by a gas station you don’t need to use :D
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=511533#p511533

The UI on the head unit might've changed significantly between what's on '11 to '13 (and possibly a few years later) Leafs vs. '16 and '17. I've seen some pics of UI on newer (but pre-'18) head units that more closely resembled '18 Leaf than mine.

powersurge said:
just a comment, you should not be doing 80mph in B mode, especially with a 77%soh battery

Why not? I have been using B-mode all the time on my 2015 whether on the freeway or going slow on surface streets. I used D-mode for the first 1000 miles or so to allow brake pads to wear in, but B-mode ever since. The car now has over 58,000 miles so I have used B-mode for about 57,000 miles of driving.

GerryAZ said:
It might be a "door not latched" sensor that is marginal since it happens when changing lanes. Make sure there are no seat belts caught in the doors and that they are all c!osed tight. Also check that the rear hatch is tight!y closed.

That might be a possibility. Does that normally put up anything on the dashboard? I was driving with my wife for several weeks to work and it never happened with two people in the car. Maybe a passenger sensor thing? This car had warranty work done for that prior to purchasing.

GerryAZ said:
powersurge said:
just a comment, you should not be doing 80mph in B mode, especially with a 77%soh battery

Why not? I have been using B-mode all the time on my 2015 whether on the freeway or going slow on surface streets. I used D-mode for the first 1000 miles or so to allow brake pads to wear in, but B-mode ever since. The car now has over 58,000 miles so I have used B-mode for about 57,000 miles of driving.

I had a 2015 S prior to my current 2016 SL. I drove it in B mode all time on the freeway, well the second half of the lease anyway when I discovered B mode. It had over 90% SOH (I think 93%) when I turned it in and it had more miles than my current car. Same commute, weather, and charging habits.

cwerdna said:
lkkms2 said:

The UI on the head unit might've changed significantly between what's on '11 to '13 (and possibly a few years later) Leafs vs. '16 and '17. I've seen some pics of UI on newer (but pre-'18) head units that more closely resembled '18 Leaf than mine.

My 2011 would "bong" if I had that setting in the NAV. You have the option of

"talk a lot"

"not talk at all"

or
"bong when you need to pay attention"

which happens at turns on the route.

I don't see this as likely though

dedwards said:
GerryAZ said:

That might be a possibility. Does that normally put up anything on the dashboard? I was driving with my wife for several weeks to work and it never happened with two people in the car. Maybe a passenger sensor thing? This car had warranty work done for that prior to purchasing.

Door(s) open puts a graphic on the dash in front of the driver that is obvious. The rear hatch not fully latched puts an image of a car on the dash, but does not make it obvious that the hatch is open. Since Nissan has had a lot of trouble with passenger seat sensors (and had recalls), the car might chime if it detects a change in passenger seat occupancy while driving down the road.

DaveinOlyWA said:
cwerdna said:
lkkms2 said:

My 2011 would "bong" if I had that setting in the NAV. You have the option of

"talk a lot"

"not talk at all"

or
"bong when you need to pay attention"

which happens at turns on the route.

I don't see this as likely though

Definitely not the navigation tone. I wasn't sure at first, but I listened to the recording in a different thread and it is not the same.
When I first heard it, I thought I had accidentally pressed the power button.

I guess the thing that's confusing me is the 3 available power-on sounds are extended multi-tone effects, not a "bong".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGf3JpDrvSA

Nubo said:
I guess the thing that's confusing me is the 3 available power-on sounds are extended multi-tone effects, not a "bong".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGf3JpDrvSA

You can hear it in the first second of the video. Just before it plays the multi tone startup sounds.

Back