Heated steering wheel cuts out

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pyromancy5

I'm not sure this is a problem, or just how it's designed. My heated steering wheel gets very hot, then cuts out. It gets very cold and seems to take a long time before it heats again. Turning it off and then on again does not speed up the "reheat" or second cycle of heating. I commute 20 minutes to work and it usually gets cools off around 15 minutes into my drive.

Is this normal?

-Alex

mine does that exact thing too.. gets super hot, and then after a while just stops. i think it has to do with the cabin temperature, once the cabin temperature reaches a certain degree it stops heating the wheel. but either way, the heater circuit is not ideal in the wheel. It gets burning hot in some places.

Marko

Sadly, this is normal. It's a design flaw.

It's got nothing to do with the cabin temp, as it happens even when not running the heat at all. Once the steering wheel heater decides it's too hot, it will cycle off and there is nothing you can do to get it going until until it decides it's been off long enough.

I manage this by manually turning off the heated steering wheel when it gets hot and then turning it back on when it goes to just warm. As long as I keep doing this, I avoid the long time the wheel goes to cold.

Same here.

As an aside I specifically looked for this behavior in the 2018 I drove and it seemed to be improved. Very warm, warm, very warm, warm instead of scorching, cold, scorching, cold.

I only drove the car for about 45 minutes though so more experience is needed to see if they really fixed the issue. My Kia kept the wheel at an even warm temperature the entire duration the wheel heater was on. I miss that.

mtndrew1 said:
Same here.

As an aside I specifically looked for this behavior in the 2018 I drove and it seemed to be improved. Very warm, warm, very warm, warm instead of scorching, cold, scorching, cold.

I only drove the car for about 45 minutes though so more experience is needed to see if they really fixed the issue. My Kia kept the wheel at an even warm temperature the entire duration the wheel heater was on. I miss that.

exactly what mine does, hot-cold-hot-cold the Tesla is the hot-warm-hot-warm experience. I'm guessing its a single stage heater and the newer ones are dual stage.

LCR said:
Yep does it to mine also when it hit a certain temp, Even the tesla does it
The heated steering wheel in my Tesla certainly does not act this way. On a 400 mile drive through freezing rain and snow it stayed hot the entire time (for each 2-3 hour stretch of driving). It never cools off.

FWIW and my personal taste, the Tesla's wheel is a little too hot, but it never gets uncomfortably hot like the LEAF.

jlv said:
LCR said:
Yep does it to mine also when it hit a certain temp, Even the tesla does it
The heated steering wheel in my Tesla certainly does not act this way. On a 400 mile drive through freezing rain and snow it stayed hot the entire time (for each 2-3 hour stretch of driving). It never cools off.

FWIW and my personal taste, the Tesla's wheel is a little too hot, but it never gets uncomfortably hot like the LEAF.

see my second post on it.

I have resorted to manually turning the wheel on until it is warm but not hot and then shut it off until it is to cold then back on again, if I forget it gets hot and I believe trips an over temp and then stays off for about 10-15 minutes before it will self reset and the wheel will be cold in 3 minutes...

I toyed with the idea of adding an electronic time that was adjustable to 50% so on for 10 seconds off 10 seconds and that just repeats.

Or the simplest fix would be for Nissan to just a "low" or "warm" setting.

BrockWI said:
I have resorted to manually turning the wheel on until it is warm but not hot and then shut it off until it is to cold then back on again, if I forget it gets hot and I believe trips an over temp and then stays off for about 10-15 minutes before it will self reset and the wheel will be cold in 3 minutes...

I toyed with the idea of adding an electronic time that was adjustable to 50% so on for 10 seconds off 10 seconds and that just repeats.

Or the simplest fix would be for Nissan to just a "low" or "warm" setting.

Especially when they could have used the same switches as the heated seats

Back