Noise coming from wheels when speed above 50mph

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hmmwv

I recently hit the curb on my passenger side front wheel when leaving a parking lot, speed was probably 10mph so I thought it's okay. But a couple of days later I start to notice a muffed humming noise coming from that wheel, it only happens after I've hit 50mph on the highway and with radio turned off, and I can't feel any vibration or pull at the steering wheel.

I've turned the wheel all the way to either side when parked to inspect the struts, spring, and CV boot, but didn't see any visible damage. Could this noise an indication that the wheel bearing is damaged?

Unfortunately, I have no idea. But I do consider that you're lucky, since you managed to get up to 50 mph in Seattle traffic. :lol:

Reddy said:
Unfortunately, I have no idea. But I do consider that you're lucky, since you managed to get up to 50 mph in Seattle traffic. :lol:

Only on Monday and Tuesdays, and when it's dry, before 6AM and after 9PM. :D

I would be surprised if you damaged the wheel bearing, but you might have done something to the tire or wheel. Have you tried moving that tire to a different position? Tires on the LEAF seem to get noisier as the miles increase between rotations so significant damage to a section of the tread or a broken belt might create a different noise.

Got really busy and didn't address this issue, I took the car to the mechanics, they drove it, noticed the noise, and then put the car on the rack. They couldn't find what's wrong, CV joint, wheel bearings, and other suspension components all appear to be okay.

The noise is still there, it magically appears right after I accelerated pass 49mph, but the rhythm and noise level stays the same regardless of speed (I've varied speed between 50mph and 80mph). The car still drives normally, no shaking steering wheel and alignment is perfect. The only thing I can feel besides the noise is very minor vibration accompanied with the noise, so minor I can only feel it if I drive in my socks.

What is belt in the tire? The metal reinforcement belts, or some of the rubber grooves?

My suspicion would be the tires are the culprit, I have had other cars do this in the past and replace the tires and all is well. More specifically the tire you hit is the culprit, if you have a road hazard warranty on your tires, take advantage of it and get it replaced, if not, be prepared to replace at least two tires (they always need to be replaced in pairs), possibly all four depending on age and condition of the tires.

Take it back to where you bought the tires and have them balanced again. If it has been more than 5000 miles, have them also do a front to back rotation. Check the wheel that hit the curb and make sure it is not bent or damaged. Depending on the age and wear, it may be a good time for some new tires.

I'm on the original tires, at over 46,000 miles it probably will be replaced soon, but I just measured and at least the front wheels still have very good thread. I'll probably try rebalancing though, but I've brought it to Discount Tires and they said if I can't feel vibration or movement on the steering wheel then I don't need rebalancing.

My 2014 Leaf SL also has developed a hum in the front passenger side wheel. It begins around 65 kph and increases a bit with speed but not much. There is no pull to one side, no vibration I can feel, just a hum. I put my iPhone under the hood and turned on recorder and took it on the highway. All I could hear was the whine of the motor/reduction gear, quite a high pitch, but no hum.
Tires are Michelin Energy Savers with 50,000 km and about 3-4 mm tread left.
Like a previous poster, I hit a curb while doing a uturn at slow speed, not long before the noise appeared. I’ve felt the tire circumference and no noticeable bumps.
It also does not change if I weave side to side, putting more pressure on the wheel alternately.
Dealer wanted $600 + if bearing needed replacement.
Also both front wheels have that Nissan click covered under a service bulletin, but that should not create a hum at speed.
Any thoughts?

Swap the wheels to determine if it's a damaged tire. If it is the wheel bearing you can either fix it or live with it. I don't think it will fail catastrophically without warning so I would call it a nuisance problem at this point.

Any competent auto shop can replace the bearing, you don't need to go to a Nissan dealer for that.

My 2021 SV+ developed a low howl/roar at about 55 mph and up. I was not sure if was motor/inverter or wheel bearing/tires as it was noticeable, but not loud at all. After swerving like a drunk on a quiet road it was quite obvious it was wheel bearing/tire related and even guessed that it was the right front side. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the left side front wheel bearing :roll: . That did not solve the problem so I took it back. They replaced the right side front bearing and now totally quiet. Lucky I have a really good dealer.

Back