Piece of charger plug stuck in charger port

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motorbeans

Hi all,

I couldn't find anything on this topic but I can't imagine I'm the first. If you look at the charging plug that goes into the car you will see there are small plastic pieces around each of the prongs in the plug. One of these little plastic pieces around one of the prongs broke off inside the charger port.... Has anyone run into this before or have any ideas on how to get it out of there? Thank you!

This sounds very familiar !

If this is inside the EVSE side turn off the juice first!!

Pluck it out with a tweezer.
Either put it back where it came from or throw it away.
I was told by ChargePoint that the plastic bits are meant to be a safety precaution for people (like little kids) who might be inclined to stick their fingers into the socket.

SageBrush said:
This sounds very familiar !

If this is inside the EVSE side turn off the juice first!!

Pluck it out with a tweezer.
Either put it back where it came from or throw it away.
I was told by ChargePoint that the plastic bits are meant to be a safety precaution for people (like little kids) who might be inclined to stick their fingers into the socket.

Not to say that it's not prudent to turn off power to the EVSE first, but most public chargers don't give you access to the circuit breaker.

So people should rest assured that a disconnected J1772 connector is perfectly safe to fiddle around with (unlike the standard household outlets at home). The small 5th pin is the command/pilot lead that a car's charger talks with. Only when signaled by THAT lead will the relays on the EVSE close and any electricity actually flow on the conductors. Prior to that, it's as good as disconnected.

I have a similar situation - one pin on car port is bent and there is a piece of plastic broken off on the plug. It charged fine for awhile (but wouldn't work with other chargers because the piece wouldn't allow the charger to seat properly) but now starts to charge and stops. Must be shorting out. Is there a way to post photos?

Is there any saving either the charging port or the station? Can I replace just the plug (It's a GE)?

Thank you

Back