How to replace wiper refill (just the rubber)?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

notnami

We bought the Honda wiper refills (recommended here: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=21876&f=30). We successfully detached the blade arm, but we cannot figure out how to put the new rubber parts onto the old wiper blade.

The thread I referenced above did not make it seem like the rubber would be difficult to replace, but the wiper rubber that came with our Leaf appears to be glued onto the metal strip. We bought our Leaf used (2013 SV), and we have no idea what was done to the windshield wipers before we bought it, and if the rubber inserts are supposed to be glued on, or if it's a hack by the previous owner/dealer.

I suppose the straightforward stupid solution would be to just rip off the old rubber that is glued on, and glue on the replacement ones. But we'd rather not do that unless we know for sure that is the way to replace them. We would also prefer not to replace the whole wiper blade if we can figure out how to insert these Honda refills.

We would greatly appreciate any help.

Edit: we had assumed that the wiper blades that came with our Leaf were original because they fold in perfectly (if that makes sense). But this glue situation made us doubt that. Is there a way to tell that our wiper blades are original?

It shouldn't be glued on. You should be able to (with some force) slide off the rubber part (w/the metal) in one direction.

The metal isn't attached w/glue or anything to the rubber piece.

Didn't have glue on mine, but once you get the wiper off the car then I would heat up the metal part with a hair dryer. If there's any glue on there, the heat from the hair dryer should make it a lot easier to remove the rubber blade.

The metal strips are part of the refill--do not take them off the new units. The refills are held in place by clips molded into the plastic blades which snap into recesses molded into the sides of the refills. The easiest way to remove the old unit from the black plastic blade is by separating each metal piece from the rubber, flexing it, and pulling it out toward the center of the blade (do one metal piece and then the other). The rubber piece can then be removed easily without damaging the plastic blade. The new refill (with both metal inserts in place) can then be slid into position starting at one end of the blade. The end of the refill opposite from the molded recesses should be inserted first so the recess does not engage the clip on the blade until the refill is fully in position. The Nissan part numbers (from the packages) are 28895-1AA0A (Driver or left side) and 288951AA1A (Passenger or right side) and the description is Refill--Wiper.

Perhaps these videos will help. How to replace the whole blade, how to replace the rubber insert only.

Whole unit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFo1bDbbLKw

Insert only
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbQYl834MdU

Rich

Just curious if you ever figured out what was going on with your wipers. I also have a 2013 that I bought used.

The wipers on my car have two parts - (1) a plastic, 3-piece shell, and (2) a rubber blade that is glued to a thin, solid, curved piece of steel (no holes or anything in the steel). I can separate the steel/rubber piece from the plastic shell, but there is nothing else that can be done. There is no way to slide the suggested refill inserts in or out.

Looks like I don't have the original wiper arms after all? :cry:

Edit: There are no other identifying features of these wipers - no brand name or anything like that on them.

You cannot just change the rubber.

You must change the rubber with the steel wiper armature.

They are very common.

If you don't know how to do it, then go to a mechanic. or check youtube....

powersurge said:
You cannot just change the rubber.

You must change the rubber with the steel wiper armature.

They are very common.

If you don't know how to do it, then go to a mechanic. or check youtube....

I just bought the Honda parts listed in another thread here. It's the inserts used in the 2015 crv as well.

Took a little force with pliers, but you could pull the rubber inserts off no problem. Just keep the steel spine and reuse them in the new inserts

Back