Dealer sold me bad goods. Options? is Incan to LED doable?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nerys

Ok bought a 2016 SL in deep pearl blue (stunning color BTW) bose and surround 5300 miles perfect battery

one problem. its not an SL. its an SV with premium package. so its missing ALL of the SL goodies and I definitely paid an SL price (little higher actually I really wanted the blue and not the black)

no leather seats. no fogs. no led lights no homelink no solar spoiler no sills etc.. etc..

I don't care for the leather (in fact that is why I wanted this one as it did not have leather did not realize this meant it was not an SL)

I don't want to give the car back (and they would not take it if I tried is my bet) and there is pretty much zero chance of a refund of the roughly $3000 value difference (I imagine I would have to sue to go that route)

it was advertised and written up as an SL and their leaf certified person (used to be certified) confirmed she thought it was an SL because of the premium package. (WTH even I was able to run the vin and confirm what it was once I realized might as well google this) do they not even check this kind of stuff in their own systems?

while many of the SL features are interesting they are not deal breakers for me as it has most of the juicy upgrades with the premium package. it has the nice wheels the surround view the winter package and the bose.

but one however is critical to me. The headlights. I have been spoiled these last 65,000 miles with the LED's on my 12 SV and I can't STAND the incan's the 16 comes with. they really are quite horrible. I deliver pizza and good night time illumination is important to me and the LED's are amazing in extreme.

IS IT PRACTICAL for a dealer to upgrade the car to LED headlights.? IE has that been done before? is there a process or procedure for that?

I started to try to do it myself (was going to swap with my 12 which I still have while insurance does its thing) and got no where as soon as I saw the plugs where totally different and it was not its own harness but part of the main harness. I am not messing with that much expensive stuff. no way. they are mechanically the same but not remotely electrically the same. 8pin connector versus 6 pin and separate connection for the vertical adjustment) that part is not important to me. but what are the extra 2 pins for ?

Here is what I have ASKED them as compensation. I want the LED headlights and I want a longer bumper to bumper warranty (miles and time asked for 4 years 60,000 miles which is reasonable) if I truly can't get the LED headlights I am going to ask for 5 years 100k bumper to bumper starting now. I doubt I will ever have to use it for much of anything but it would be fantastic piece of mind.

sounds like they might be willing to play on the warranty he has to call around about the LED headlights. I am hoping this is something that "can" be done IE can you pay to have it upgraded if it did not come with it.

suggestions? advice?

Document the listing, contact Nissan, and tell them you want the extension of the warranty and LED headlights. I'd give it 70/30 they say NO but it's worth a try. You'd have better luck demanding the difference in book value as a refund.

if I can get the LED lights from nissan and the extension on warranty from the dealer I would be quite happy with that.

my biggest concern is something expensive breaking out of warranty considering just how many miles i put on the car.

65k in under 3 years and this new one with its longer range will accrue miles much faster. :) since I will be able to use it for more and more trips.

if I can not get any satisfaction I should be able to goto small claims court. it is a legitimate issue afterall and should be pretty open and shut. I can slap that winnings right onto my loan to pay it off that much faster and get me above water since I paid an SL price for an SV which means I am underwater immediately.

I would get a quote to have the missing SL stuff installed and sue for that much.

I hope it does not come to that however. I just want my LED lights and some more warranty as compensation. I don't think that is asking a lot for a very large mistake on their part that is quite costly to me (dramatically lower resale value)

Chris

If LED headlamps are your major concern, nowadays it's no more complicated than replacing the bulbs with inexpensive LED drop-ins. There are threads on the forum with the info.

If only it were that easy if you've ever actually tried to use one of those bulbs you do realize right away that do not work overpowered undercooled and a completely wrong beam pattern so not only can you not see the road correctly but you're blinding the piss out of anybody you're shining them at trust me they don't work they are not good some can work as fog lights but not as your primary beams this is actually why I have two extra sets of Nissan Leaf LED headlights I plan to disassemble and remove the actual LED module including but the Optics which is the important part so that I can make my own 4 x 6 LED headlights with the proper beam pattern for my Geo Metro and my Nissan Quest which I have not gotten around to doing yet

Since they mechanically fit I may try to convert if I have to I would need to find electrical schema for both so I know what the wires do and what I need to convert Etc but that's a last resort

no. what likely happened is you got lucky. that particular led and your particular set of optics "worked" together. nothing more.

I can't afford to buy a dozen different led units and "hope" for the best :) you got lucky. I am glad it worked for you. LED's are nice.

nerys said:
If only it were that easy if you've ever actually tried to use one of those bulbs you do realize right away that do not work overpowered undercooled and a completely wrong beam pattern so not only can you not see the road correctly but you're blinding the piss out of anybody you're shining them at trust me they don't work they are not good some can work as fog lights but not as your primary beams this is actually why I have two extra sets of Nissan Leaf LED headlights I plan to disassemble and remove the actual LED module including but the Optics which is the important part so that I can make my own 4 x 6 LED headlights with the proper beam pattern for my Geo Metro and my Nissan Quest which I have not gotten around to doing yet

Since they mechanically fit I may try to convert if I have to I would need to find electrical schema for both so I know what the wires do and what I need to convert Etc but that's a last resort

I understand and applaud your concerns about beam pattern. If it's "seeing" that is most important to you please be aware that significant improvements can be made by bulb selection and wiring improvements. You might want to inquire at this site regarding your options: https://www.danielsternlighting.com/products/products.html

thank you.

Does anyone have information or advise regarding selling me an SL for an SL price that is not an SL but a much cheaper in value SV ?

Sorry to bring bad news but the dealership can just say the sold you a vehicle with the VIN of XXXXXX as is. The paper work will list the sale that way. The paperwork with not show the sale of a 2016 Leaf SL but the sale of VINXXXX. You are equally responsible for not knowing what options VIN XXXX has. They build the paperwork the way they do for a reason and this is exactly why it is structured the way it is.

Having said that, the dealer may choose to work with you to maintain a certain image. You have no shot of getting squat from Nissan as they have no role in this though . It is worth a shot to see if the dealership will work with you as it will cost you nothing but time. Also, the dealership does not want the reputation of selling cars not as described in ads. You are probably best off reaching out to the dealership GM and explaining what happened and explaining the headlights are a big issue to you and giving them the chance to make it right. I think if you start off threatening them with a lawsuit, they will get defensive and won't do a thing for you as they legally are safe with the paperwork they have you sign when you bought the car. Sales people often don't know what they are selling and give false info both intentionally and unintentionally all the time. It sucks but it is true. The dealership lawyers are well aware of this and have created a sales process to protect the dealership and not the consumer. Good luck.

Except they screwed up and they actually listed as SL on my paperwork I'm hoping that gives me a leg up

I did not expect Nissan to give me anything but I was hoping Nissan had leverage with the dealership since they are a Nissan authorized dealership turns out no or they're simply not willing

I'm sorry to say that dealer adverts I read all have small print that says that the dealership is not liable for errors.
I don't know if that would hold up in court, but OP does have an uphill battle. How much documentation of the misinformation is available ?

Regarding LED retro-fits, tech improves all the time and sometimes quality matches price.
If I cared about LED lights, I'd be inclined to collect as much money as I could from the dealership based on the difference in market prices between the SL and SV and then spend some of it on a quality retro-fit.

No no not the advertisement which I also have but the actual legal documents we both signed that says SL

The sooner you bring this to the dealership attention and make your demands, the better.
IANAL, but I would probably send a registered letter (or even better, hand deliver with a witness) to the dealership GM with a demand for immediate reversal of sale. If they want to try and negotiate a compromise, let them make an offer you can refuse if you do not like it. The key point here is that any delay in reaching a solution is on their clock and by extension your use of the car in the meantime is not on your dime.

I did four days after I bought the car they got back to me two days later and quite simply told me to go pound sand which is why I am now considering Court the last Pennsylvania doesn't actually have a small claims court at least it exists only in name from what I understand big corporations ignore small claims court because they can simply wait until they lose by default and then appeal it's regular Court we'll see

My last attempt before filing a claim in court is to go to Reedman Langhorne my dad was an acquaintance of the owner not a friend but they were aware of each other my dad bought several Lincoln Town Car from him so maybe they'll have some swag I don't know

Back