EVS charging cord vandalized while charging

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbelling

My 2016 Leaf EVS charging cord that comes with the car was vandalized/cut in half while it was still plugged into the car and while charging in my driveway. The GFI switch was tripped in my garage. I reset the GFI switch in my garage, plugged in a brand new EVS charging cord, identical to the one I had, and it will not charge my car battery. The green "ready" light comes on, however, when I plug it into my car, the charge light does not come on. Nor do I hear the second click you normally hear when you plug it into your car. I'm assuming the first one is the lock click/beep and the second one is when it's charging, or possibly vise-versa. Please advise! Thanks.

Take your Leaf to the dealership and see if it charges on a L2 station. Also, it sounds like time to submit paperwork to your insurance company.

Dear Reddy - thank you for your response. Yes, that was going to be my next step, taking it to the dealership. Even simply calling the service department to see if they know what the issue is if no one on this site had encountered this problem. However, what do you mean by "time to submit paperwork to your insurance company?" Thanks.

Dear SageBrush - thank you for your response, however, I'm afraid I don't follow. Please clarify. Thanks.

kbelling said:
Dear SageBrush - thank you for your response, however, I'm afraid I don't follow. Please clarify. Thanks.
Use the PM function to contact MNL member Tony Williams. He is a vendor with a lot of experience selling EVSE and mods and may know why your repair is not working. Or look up his profile and find an email or Tele #

I'll guess that a fuse or functional equivalent was tripped/fried in the EVSE handle or the OBC to protect the electronics and for safety, but that is just a guess.

I'm curious though: did you take apart the J1772 handle to attach a new cord ?

Addendum:
Tony Williams
R&D Manager
Quick Charge Power LLC
TonyWilliams ((@)) QuickChargePower.com
www.QuickChargePower.com
Twitter: QCPower
1-844-EVPARTS
1-844-387-2787 ext 701Occupation:www.QuickChargePower.com

A DTC may have been set that does not allow the car to charge. It can be checked and possibly cleared with LeafSpy. However, there are some codes that can only be cleared by a dealer's tech.

kbelling said:
My 2016 Leaf EVS charging cord that comes with the car was vandalized/cut in half while it was still plugged into the car and while charging in my driveway. The GFI switch was tripped in my garage. I reset the GFI switch in my garage, plugged in a brand new EVS charging cord, identical to the one I had, and it will not charge my car battery. The green "ready" light comes on, however, when I plug it into my car, the charge light does not come on. Nor do I hear the second click you normally hear when you plug it into your car. I'm assuming the first one is the lock click/beep and the second one is when it's charging, or possibly vise-versa. Please advise! Thanks.

91040 said:
A DTC may have been set that does not allow the car to charge. It can be checked and possibly cleared with LeafSpy. However, there are some codes that can only be cleared by a dealer's tech.

kbelling said:
I don't currently know of any code that the dealer can clear that LeafSpy Pro can not. Perhaps you are thinking of DTC P0AA1 but that can now be cleared with the latest versions of LeafSpy Pro.

How does Leafspy Pro work? I take it that it is a program I can download, but download to where? Sorry, I have never done this before when it relates to a car. Not to mention VERY new too the electric car thing. What are the steps I need to take? Thanks.

Leafspy pro is an application for a smartphone/tablet/etc that displays information about/from the car's systems that often isn't accessible through the car's normal panels/displays. It works in conjunction with a "dongle" that plugs into the car's on-board debugging (OBD) port , eavesdrops on the Controller Area Network traffic that contains reports from sensors and subsystems, and broadcasts them wirelessly, usually over Bluetooth for Android-based installations. It will display things such as the individual voltages of all the battery cells, indicate which ones have their charge-balancing shunts switched on, etc.

Hi Sagebrush - To answer your question, no, I didn't have to take the handle of the cut cable apart to get it out of the charging port. I just hit my remote to release and it released just like normal.

Oh sorry, I haven't done or had any repairs on the car as of yet. Just gathering information at this point before my next step.

I must not be following ...

Cord was vandalized ...
You did <somethings>
Now the car will not charge

Can you clarify the <somethings> ?
I thought the EVSE cord was repaired (replaced) ...
But perhaps you mean that you tried a different EVSE ?

Yes, my original charging cable was cut in half...no longer usable. I picked up a brand new charging cable just like the one that got cut. Plugged that one into my car and it will not charge my car. Make sense now? Thanks.

I think so ...
You bought a replacement EVSE that is not charging your car. Cable and EVSE are not inter-changeable terms.

Do you have a Chademo port ? It would probably work since it bypasses the OBC. If you have DC charging in your vicinity that supports Chademo it might give you a way to use your car in the meantime.

As far as trouble-shooting goes, lets see:
1. The replacement is defective. That is why people are suggesting you try a Nissan EVSE
2. The OBC is inoperable/damaged. Perhaps a Nissan dealership could diagnose the problem. Perhaps ... let us know where you live, a forum member may have a recommendation for you of a decent tech. Darell mentioned in this forum that his car's OBC was damaged and due to the quirky implementation of the LEAF port the only EVSE that continued to charge the car was the Nissan OEM EVSE.

What is a Chademo port? What do you mean by "Cable and EVSE are not inter-changeable terms?" I live in Auburn, Washington. Thanks.

Is the replacement EVSE a generic brand or one you bought from Nissan ?

Does your car have a second charging port ? Mine does -- Chademo. It is larger than the J1772 port and in my car is covered by an orange cap.

Back