LeafSpy reports ALL Battery Packs in RED (2017 MY 30 kWh)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RomanG

Hello!

Does anybody experience such a problem?

QWDahFp.png

It is just 884 miles at odo but SOH=94% and Hx=90.58% already and counting down very quickly...

Please give an advice, seems BMS does not work properly in my car...

Thanks!

You own a LEAF; it does not have a BMS
Red does not mean bad. Change the color if you like.

The SOH of 95% does warrant watching ... not that you can do anything or expect Nissan to do anything until four bars of capacity of lost. Do you know if the Ahr was higher when new ?

SageBrush, thanks for your feedback!

SageBrush said:
Red does not mean bad. Change the color if you like.

According to LeafSpy's help - "A Red colored voltage bar indicates a small bleeder load is being applied to that cell in order to drain energy from it to better balance it with the other cells."
It does not look normal to me that all cells are drained to each other. But I hope you're right and this is not related to the main problem - fast loss of battery capacity.

SageBrush said:
The SOH of 95% does warrant watching ... not that you can do anything or expect Nissan to do anything until four bars of capacity of lost. Do you know if the Ahr was higher when new ?

Just 4 days ago Hx=91.13% and Ahr=76% (I'm using LeafSpy just for couple of days so found my problem this late)

What service action would you recommend me to do in this case?

The Leaf does indeed have a BMS - I don't know where sagebrush got that idea. You happened to get a LeafSpy shot of the pack equalizing - which is done by the BMS.

RomanG said:
Just 4 days ago Hx=91.13% and Ahr=76% (I'm using LeafSpy just for couple of days so found my problem this late)
No. AHr is not a %. From your screenshot, you have 75.48 amp-hours. Your SOH of 94% and Hx of 90.58% isn't that concernng.

RomanG said:
What service action would you recommend me to do in this case?
Nothing really. There could be a bug or the shunt order setting in Leaf Spy could be wrong for your vehicle. You could try mucking w/the shunt order setting to see if this symptom goes away.

Examples of info on this (Turbo3 is the author of Leaf Spy):
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=369539#p369539
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=359310#p359310

If that doesn't help, point to this thread from the appropriate (iOS vs. Android) Leaf Spy support thread. I personally don't care about whether the shunt displays (red vs. blue bars) are right. I don't even know what's being displayed with respect to shunting is correct anyway.

Do you charge the battery to 100% each time? If not, how many times have you charged it to 100%? It needs to be done on a regular basis to balance the cells in the pack. Just don't leave it sitting at 100% charge for extended periods of time, especially during times of high temperatures.

cwerdna said:
No. AHr is not a %. From your screenshot, you have 75.48 amp-hours. Your SOH of 94% and Hx of 90.58% isn't that concernng.

Yes, my bad. I meant battery has lost 0.52AHr of its capacity (from 76Ahr to 75.48Ahr) in just 4 days.. and I have no idea how to stop it.

cwerdna said:
Nothing really. There could be a bug or the shunt order setting in Leaf Spy could be wrong for your vehicle. You could try mucking w/the shunt order setting to see if this symptom goes away.

Thank you! I'll give it a try.

baustin said:
Do you charge the battery to 100% each time? If not, how many times have you charged it to 100%? It needs to be done on a regular basis to balance the cells in the pack. Just don't leave it sitting at 100% charge for extended periods of time, especially during times of high temperatures.
No, I do not charge to 100% each time, my charging pattern is mostly 25%->55%->25%->...
But I did 100% charge three or four times.

Thanks for advice!

RomanG said:
Yes, my bad. I meant battery has lost 0.52AHr of its capacity (from 76Ahr to 75.48Ahr) in just 4 days.. and I have no idea how to stop it.
Your car's battery has a capacity, and the battery management software in the car produces an estimate of that capacity. Leaf Spy is reading the estimate, not the actual capacity. There are measurement accuracy limits as well as some odd battery behavior that limit how accurate the estimate can be.

The estimate does vary for reasons other than the actual battery capacity changing. Driving for a while with partial charges seems to reduce estimated capacity, and there is little reason to suspect this produces any long term damage to the battery. A 100% charge or two often reverses this. A long trip with nearly full usage of the battery (100% to 10%) with a DCQC often increases the estimated capacity.

Over a long time period, the estimate will track the actual capacity. Sometimes high, sometimes low. Don't read too much into the day to day or week to week variations.

I've got LeafSpy logs since 05/02/2016.

Highest AH in that period was in 03/03/2017. Up 2.6 Ahr from 06/23/2016.

[Edit]
Linear trend over this period has capacity reduced by 1.5 Ahr.
[/Edit]

I suggest trying to ignore the day to day, week to week and even month to month variations in capacity estimates.
[Edit.. Corrected and reformated dates /Edit]

LeftieBiker said:
The Leaf does indeed have a BMS - I don't know where sagebrush got that idea. You happened to get a LeafSpy shot of the pack equalizing - which is done by the BMS.
Yes, my error.
I was thinking of a TMS

WetEV said:
Your car's battery has a capacity, and the battery management software in the car produces an estimate of that capacity. Leaf Spy is reading the estimate, not the actual capacity. There are measurement accuracy limits as well as some odd battery behavior that limit how accurate the estimate can be.
Thanks for pointing this out - I was not aware of capacity estimation...

WetEV said:
The estimate does vary for reasons other than the actual battery capacity changing. Driving for a while with partial charges seems to reduce estimated capacity, and there is little reason to suspect this produces any long term damage to the battery. A 100% charge or two often reverses this. A long trip with nearly full usage of the battery (100% to 10%) with a DCQC often increases the estimated capacity.
Great, will try this ASAP.

WetEV said:
I've got LeafSpy logs since 05/02/2016.
Highest AH in that period was in 03/03/2017. Up 2.6 Ahr from 06/23/2016.
Linear trend over this period has capacity reduced by 1.5 Ahr.
I suggest trying to ignore the day to day, week to week and even month to month variations in capacity estimates.

EV behave so differently...

WetEV, thanks again for sharing your thoughts, I became less worried now.

Back