Non-functioning Charge Timer

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leafabout

Can anyone tell me why the charge timer in my 2013 S Model Suddenly stopped working? I enter the time I want it to begin charging and the cluster of blue lights go off one after the other like they are suppose to. The menu that fades out after the power button is turned off shows that the timer is on. When the programed time comes and goes, nothing happens. I've used the timer many times for early morning charging during the hot summer, but am at a loss to understand why I'm having a problem all of a sudden.

What you didn't like the response I gave you in your other thread so you start a new one :?
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=22186 Last post.

Thank you for your advice. I am hoping that this thread will be seen by more people. I still have the same problem. For example, If I set the timer for 1700 and it is 1600, the blue lights indicate the timer is set and the menu fade after the start button is turned off indicates that the timer is set. However, 1700 comes and goes and the charge didn't come on.

Since posting about my faulty charge timer I've had this additional issue.
I needed six hours and thirty minutes of charging. I plugged in my 240v. at eleven thirty p.m. and set the charge for 100%. The next day I discovered the car had only charged up to seventy-two percent and then cut off.
Is it possible this is some software problem? I wonder if it would do any good to go to the dealership over it. They seem to have just one person who works on the Leafs' and only on certain days of the week.

Maybe I misunderstand, but I thought the timer in the S model was an end timer? You set it for the time you want the car to be ready to drive, and it decides when to start.

If you need 6.5 hours of charging, are not plugging in until 11:30pm, and plan to drive it the next morning, why are you using a timer? Just set it for 100% and plug it in when you go to bed.

If you are still having timer issues, try turning off and resetting all the timers. Then set them up again and see if they work correctly.

Yes, this is in addition to my charge timer not working correctly.
This problem didn't involve any use of the charge timer. Instead, I was plugging my car in one evening at about 11:30 p.m. My middle computer indicated that my car would charge up to 100% in about six hours, thirty minutes. I didn't use my charge timer at all as it didn't make any difference to me when the six hours, thirty minutes was completed.
When I checked again, around eight a.m. the next morning, the charge had prematurely stopped before the 100% it had been set for. It was not even a 80% charge.
That night the temps had dipped into the thirty degree area, but I didn't have any difficulty last winter with this issue under the same temperature conditions.
This may be one for the books!

If it is stopping prematurely, in cold temps, it could be an issue with the EVSE. Someone else has reported here, that using an off-brand EVSE, it will not start charging in cold temps.

It could also be an issue with the cooling system, and the stoppage is a result of the charger overheating.

Thank you for your input. I'm using an AV TurboCord that I've had over a year now. It worked well last winter and has performed very well for me. I live in a townhouse and had a 240v. outlet put in after purchasing my Leaf. I park in front about twenty feet away from the outlet so that worked out well for me. The TurboCord was a perfect fit.
I actually haven't charged on it since writing about this new additional problem. When I charge from the house here later this week I will see
if this problem repeats itself, goes away, or reveals itself.

This might be somewhat off this particular subject but I can't find any suitable post. Here is my question: When I quick charge my 2013 Leaf it stops at 80% no matter what the timers are set at (80% or 100%). Many posts here in the Leaf Forum seem to indicate that it is possible to go beyond 80% on a quick charger. How do you do that?

If you mean "DC Fast Charge", there seems to be quite a bit of leeway in how the charge stations behave, so long as they don't violate whatever "absolute max" limits the car sets. Aerovironment DCQC stations, which are the ones I have the most experience with, will keep going until the battery is at 100%, although by that time, they've long since dropped down to currents comparable to L2 charging. A station I used at a Nissan dealer once seemed to have either a fixed time or energy-dispensed limit. Blink DCQC stations have a customer-selectable stopping point that the LEAF's internal measurement often claims is to be about 20% low. And so on.

But yes, DC Fast Charging pays no attention to the car's timers or (if available) 80%/100% charging preference. Wouldn't you agree they're inappropriate for the on-demand charging experience that a DCQC session is supposed to be?

Same problem here. I use a wallbox with type2 socket, connected to 3-phases 3x16A. If I set timer to start at certain time, I get 3 blinking LEDs one after another, but when it comes to the time, the LEDs shut down and nothing happens. On the standard 10A 230V charger everything works as it should.

Any ideas why this happens and possible solutions other then change the wallbox...?

HApYITLnAzWaQThC33VverniFZbXdG1vv2izaAxla39kkZiucW1O1HZdEvsaWWnBZgz-kn72YeI=w713-h909-no

Hynek said:
Same problem here. I use a wallbox with type2 socket, connected to 3-phases 3x16A. If I set timer to start at certain time, I get 3 blinking LEDs one after another, but when it comes to the time, the LEDs shut down and nothing happens. On the standard 10A 230V charger everything works as it should.
I'm not sure I have an answer to your question but I am curious as to your power. Are you saying your EVSE has provisions for 3 phase power? I've never seen that in the US, is it 3 separate 230v hots? and if so what is the voltage between 2 of the hots? I'd love to be able to use 3 phase power to a EVSE but I haven't found any that accepts it nor any EVSE that accepts 277/480v or our single/3-phase commercial voltage :(
Other than maybe commercial L3 EVSEs all EVSEs in the US are 120 or 208/240v single phase input.

Levenkay said:
If you mean "DC Fast Charge", there seems to be quite a bit of leeway in how the charge stations behave, so long as they don't violate whatever "absolute max" limits the car sets. Aerovironment DCQC stations, which are the ones I have the most experience with, will keep going until the battery is at 100%, although by that time, they've long since dropped down to currents comparable to L2 charging. A station I used at a Nissan dealer once seemed to have either a fixed time or energy-dispensed limit. Blink DCQC stations have a customer-selectable stopping point that the LEAF's internal measurement often claims is to be about 20% low. And so on.

But yes, DC Fast Charging pays no attention to the car's timers or (if available) 80%/100% charging preference. Wouldn't you agree they're inappropriate for the on-demand charging experience that a DCQC session is supposed to be?

Levenkay: I have used quite a few different DC Fast Chargers (EvGo, Greenlots, Aerovironment) and everyone stops at exactly 80%.

The connection here is as follows:
Ive got 3 phases - each has 230V between phase and N, or 400V between 2 phases. (L1 to L2, L1 to L3 etc..)

Now, this 3-phase type 2 wallbox is connected to the 3x16A. I use exactly this cable between the wallbox type2 plug and my Leaf:
https://evconnectors.com/j1772-to-62196-2-32-amp-plugs-and-cable-dsi-dsiec-ev32p

From my opinion, I think the trick is in the fact, that the J1772 has on the upper 2 pins either L1 and N, OR 2 single phases (L1,L2) and ground on the bottom one:
Type1plug_front__32-700x462.jpg

Therefore you should be able to feed your in-car charger with 400V 16A from these 2 phases, which would result in the 6kw. And I can confirm my car with 30kWh battery is charged in 6 hours to full which means I am definitely not charging with 16amps, as this would take 10 hours.

Otherwise, I cannot imagine how would the car charge so fast..

400 volts to your Leaf :shock: I'm guessing you don't live in N. America as our Leafs max out at ~260?? volts, too low for even one phase(plus neutral) of our commercial 3 phase power(277v or 480v between phases). Does your Leaf say it's capable of 400 volts? if so it sure must have a different built in charger than ours. What country are you from and is this power in your house or a commercial building?
So it sounds like your not really using 3 phases but rather what we call single phase 480 or single phase 400 in your case.

Hynek said:
The connection here is as follows:
Ive got 3 phases - each has 230V between phase and N, or 400V between 2 phases. (L1 to L2, L1 to L3 etc..)

Now, this 3-phase type 2 wallbox is connected to the 3x16A. I use exactly this cable between the wallbox type2 plug and my Leaf:
https://evconnectors.com/j1772-to-62196-2-32-amp-plugs-and-cable-dsi-dsiec-ev32p

From my opinion, I think the trick is in the fact, that the J1772 has on the upper 2 pins either L1 and N, OR 2 single phases (L1,L2) and ground on the bottom one:
Type1plug_front__32-700x462.jpg

Therefore you should be able to feed your in-car charger with 400V 16A from these 2 phases, which would result in the 6kw. And I can confirm my car with 30kWh battery is charged in 6 hours to full which means I am definitely not charging with 16amps, as this would take 10 hours.

Otherwise, I cannot imagine how would the car charge so fast..

"There are two prongs on the plug on the end of my living room floor lamp's cord. I ought to be able to connect them to a 600VDC power supply for some exceptionally brilliant illumination".. NOT.

The question isn't "what could you use this physical connector for?", it's "what does the J1772 interface standard say about how each side of the connector - the car and the EVSE - should be used?". I know Wikipedia isn't completely authoritative, but it's sure easy to Google, so here's a relevant excerpt from theJ1772 Wiki page: , emphasis mine
Wikipedia said:
Connector
The J1772-2009 connector is designed for single phase electrical systems with 120 V or 240 V such as those used in North America and Japan. The round 43 millimetres (1.7 in) diameter connector has five pins, with three different pin sizes (starting with the largest), for each of:
AC line 1 and line 2
Ground pin
Proximity detection, and control pilot
It sounds as if you've got 230V Wye-connected three-phase power. The only way you can connect this, I believe, to your J1772 cable is to hook one of the two "AC line" pins to ONE of your three phases, and the other "AC line" pin to your three-phase neutral. Connect the Ground pin to ... ground.

And where did your 16A figure come from? The LEAF's on-board charger is rated to draw 6.6KW from 240VAC, which is about 27.5A.

Back to the original question, I've had the same thing happen twice.

See this thread: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=23096

My current hypothesis is that the 12V battery voltage dropped because I had a dongle connected and on.

Both times, I went to the charge timer menu, and the timer had been set to off.

PianoAl, I gave up using the charge timer. But I was puzzled when I plugged in to charge (at home) and the charge cut off before it reached the 80% that it was set for. I suppose it is possible that the charge cord was not properly connected to the 240v. outlet. I haven't charged here at home very much since then, but a couple of times I have charged here at home without any problems.

Just wanted to thank PianoAl for his attachment. Yes, I suspect it was the electrical socket and not the timer on my Leaf! I successfully used the timer the other night and in doing so discovered that the charge cord device was not making full contact with the socket. A blue light that is on the charge cord would illuminate, but was not making good enough contact to send eletricity to charge the car.
My apologies for being so late in posting this comment, buI it I don't charge that often here at home at this time of year.

Back