Map lights won't turn off

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterleaf13

Tonight when I got out of my car to plug it in, my map and dome lights would not go off automatically. I can turn the dome light off by putting the switch in the off position, but the map lights do not respond to the their buttons. Anyone encounter this?

Peter
2013 Leaf

If the second button from the left in the overhead console is depressed, the map lights and dome light will stay on at full brightness. Make sure none of the buttons in the overhead console are depressed.

Gerry

^^^
Yep. And, it doesn't matter that much anyway. After about 10 or 15 minutes (I forget the timeout), the power to all the interior lights will be automatically cut anyway, as a battery saver. This is one nice feature that all of my Nissans have had.

Sometimes when I put my sun shade up in the windshield I accidentally hit (press up) on the map light buttons and the light (left or right side) goes on. Later I notice the light is on, and always wonder how did that get turned on.

I have a 2011 Nissan Leaf, my drivers side map light won't turn off and none of the previous suggestions made are fixing the problem.
The car has been switched off for well over 15 minutes - the passenger map light is turning off normally but the drivers one just keeps shining. Have tried all three light settings on the map light console with no luck.
It used to switch off fine, but not today.
Any more suggestions?

If I understand the situation, your answer is in the previous post to yours.

The two lights in the console, above and slightly in front of you, are turned on and off by pressing on them. If you press one “on”, it overrides the automatic setting and will stay lit.

catchwords said:
I have a 2011 Nissan Leaf, my drivers side map light won't turn off and none of the previous suggestions made are fixing the problem.
The car has been switched off for well over 15 minutes - the passenger map light is turning off normally but the drivers one just keeps shining. Have tried all three light settings on the map light console with no luck.
It used to switch off fine, but not today.
Any more suggestions?

OK I just had similar. Drivers side map light came on by itself. Nothing would turn it off. Pressing the switch to off position just made it slightly dimmer but it was still lit, even when car off and locked. Was getting worried as it looked like a garage job or else I would have to get into the ceiling to remove the bulb to prevent battery drain, or disconnect 12v.
In frustration I bashed the ceiling a few times near the light and magically it went off. The power of brute strength and pig ignorance once again proving its worth.

There is a spring inside the switch that returns the button to the Off position. Either it has failed, or the actual contacts inside the switch have come loose - one or both of them.

Back