Car not charging due to faulty receptacle/socket on car - anyone?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monki

A couple of days ago our 2011 leaf did not charge anymore : Once the plug was connected the beep could be heard but the blue lights did not come on - nor the click from the charger when charging would begin. I also checked with the 110V trickle charger ( ready light on) but same thing: no blue lights...

so I drove it to the local Nissan dealer, where amazingly it would charge! But I suspect it is a faulty socket/receptacle on the car... I am a little frustrated with the dealer, because it took them 3 days to let me know they fully charged the car ok and now have to wait another day to "discharge" it before they can do any further diagnosis... just wondering if that's a lame delay ( apparently they are very busy and only have one LEAF tech ) or if there is no simple computer diagnose to run on the car or other way to determine if it's a faulty socket - or other connection problem - or worst case: a charger problem.

Anyway: if anyone had the same problem, please let me know what the possible fix ( and cost) ended up being?

Cheers,
monki

Have the dealer check the diode in the onboard charger.

A few EVSEs do not do a diode check. The original Nissan branded AV EVSEs did not. Is that the one that you were able to charge on?

Another possibility is that the pilot signal wire is damaged.

So got the car back from Nissan service and it might just be fine... it has charged at the dealer's and I also took it to a friend's house. But upon checking his car (Fiat) on my chargers ( 240V house and the 110 trickle) it seems like the plugs on those are both a little sensitive... It seems like there are positions where they are not correctly connected even though the safety pin is.
Now I really wonder how Nissan determines a faulty socket/receptacle on the car? It seems like they just "looked" at it and "tried" it, which for $145 does not quite seem great.
For now i just hope it won't get worse as long as I don't forget to double-check the blue lights actually coming on.
If anyone has similar problems, please share!

cheers,
monki

91040!

I will call the dealer about your suggestions and post...

"Have the dealer check the diode in the onboard charger.

A few EVSEs do not do a diode check. The original Nissan branded AV EVSEs did not. Is that the one that you were able to charge on?

Another possibility is that the pilot signal wire is damaged."

Thank you for the other commenters too!
Just to verify: I have a blink charger - it's been working fine, but i lost the screen... otherwise the wiring has been fine for 5 years, so i can't think of any faulty wiring.
But when I initially tried the charger when i got it back from the Nissan service it still didn't work: Beep, but no lights,... then i switched off the fuse of the circuit ( i have a dedicated one from LADWP) and after that it worked.
last night though, I am not sure if the car's internal timer would have triggered a charge during the night - (which has been my routine for the last 5 years) The blue lights were off when I checked - so just to be sure: I turned the timer off and had it charge instantly and it was fine. So not sure if I can trust the delayed charge with the car's timer any more. Which would not be so great, cause then I will always charge 100%...

I had a cable break swinging in and out on my EVSE brick displaying the same symptoms... Then it wouldn't charge at all.... Your scenario as described matches....

monki said:
So got the car back from Nissan service and it might just be fine... it has charged at the dealer's and I also took it to a friend's house. But upon checking his car (Fiat) on my chargers ( 240V house and the 110 trickle) it seems like the plugs on those are both a little sensitive... It seems like there are positions where they are not correctly connected even though the safety pin is.
Now I really wonder how Nissan determines a faulty socket/receptacle on the car? It seems like they just "looked" at it and "tried" it, which for $145 does not quite seem great.
For now i just hope it won't get worse as long as I don't forget to double-check the blue lights actually coming on.
If anyone has similar problems, please share!

cheers,
monki

It seems very unlikely to be a problem with your car. It charges fine in other places but not your place on either of your EVSE. Your friend's car also charges, but not at your place on either of your EVSE. It also seems unlikely that 2 EVSE would develop the same problem at the same time. So far the only commonality seems to be your home wiring. Perhaps a faulty ground or other condition.

Back