Replacing LED rear brake light-need help!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lhsween

Hi,
just purchased a 2013 Leaf for my teenage daughter. Day two, the right hand rear brake light goes out! Called a Nissan Dealer to find out cost of new one, quoted me $485! Just for the part. But the parts guy said to talk to someone in Service to find out if that part is would fall under the 36K/3 year warranty. I have 35k miles. After getting the run around, leave two voice mail messages, no one calls me back. Figures. Does anyone know if this would be covered, or is this "normal wear and tear"?

My second question- if I buy the part on eBay for half the price, is this an easy repair that my husband can do? If so, can I get some advice on how to do it?
Thanks!!!

Lisa

If the bulb failed, you are probably out of luck. If there is a larger failure in the tailight unit, the warranty should cover it. I don't remember if these lights use LED bulbs, so that's something to ask the dealership if no one here knows for sure. If it just needs a new non-LED bulb, it shouldn't be hard to do.

lhsween said:
Hi,
just purchased a 2013 Leaf for my teenage daughter. Day two, the right hand rear brake light goes out! Called a Nissan Dealer to find out cost of new one, quoted me $485! Just for the part. But the parts guy said to talk to someone in Service to find out if that part is would fall under the 36K/3 year warranty. I have 35k miles. After getting the run around, leave two voice mail messages, no one calls me back. Figures. Does anyone know if this would be covered, or is this "normal wear and tear"?

My second question- if I buy the part on eBay for half the price, is this an easy repair that my husband can do? If so, can I get some advice on how to do it?
Thanks!!!

Lisa
Check 10A fuse #46 in the IPDM ( intelligent power dist. module). Located in the motor compartment closest to the 12V battery.
There is a manual available http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/ for $19.95 for 24H, make sure your browser enabled for LARGE downloads.
You will need to access EXL page 78 for general description, and EXL 35 and 34 for wiring diagram, and PG page 6 for IPDM location.
If fuse solves problem, check if the connectors make good contact. Hope this helps.

Thanks for your responses! I will get back on the phone tomorrow and try to get an answer from the dealership regarding the warranty. I find it a bit crazy that the LED panel would burn out after 3 years. You can visibly see a "burned out" area on the tail light. Maybe I will try a different dealership. I hate getting the run-around!

Unfortunately my warranty had expired. I went back to the seller and he found a used one for about $125, and replaced it for me. I watched how to do it, it is super easy! So if the other side blows I can do it myself! Thanks for checking in.
L

Back