L2 stopped working on 2 cars. EVSE or cars? What to do?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forummm

I have 2 Leafs and a Clipper Creek 30A 7.2kW EVSE. Had them about 2 years, no problems. We had a big power outage during a thunderstorm. There was a very loud nearby thunderclap and then the power was out for 8 hours. I had Leaf #1 plugged in (not charging--on a timer for overnight) at the time. When the power came back on at 2AM I went down and manually turned on the charging (overriding the timer). When I woke up it had only charged about 20 miles worth and then stopped. The next day I manually charged it and it charged fine for 2 hours before I turned it off. The day after that, Leaf #2 (not plugged in during power outage) fails to charge overnight. The day after that Leaf #1 fails to charge overnight. I try to charge #1 with L2 manually. It goes for about a minute and then shuts off. Same with Leaf #2. I tried multiple times on both cars, same result. Both charge just fine on L1. I try to charge Leaf #2 (unplugged during the storm) via a free L2 charger near work. It charges for about a minute and then shuts off (again, multiple times). This L2 could be broken (I heard someone was having trouble with it a year ago--no idea about whether it's had trouble since).

What should I do now?

LeftieBiker said:
<span>Try charging both cars at another L-2 station. If you can't do that, try the 120 volt portable <a class="interlinkr" href="http://www.myelectriccarforums.com/electric-vehicle-charger/" target="_blank">EVSE<span class="tip">Compare EVSE equipment</span></a>s that came with the cars.</span>

The L1 (120V Nissan EVSE) works for both. I'll try to find an available and working L2.

Is the EV warning light on on either car? Are there any error lights on the Clipper Creek EVSE? I once tried to charge on L2 after a failed QC and had to use Leaf Spy to clear some DTCs related to charging before the car would charge. You could also try disconnecting the 12-volt battery in each car to clear errors in the cars. Since both cars charge on L1, it is possible that your L2 EVSE or wiring suffered some lightning damage. Carefully check voltages (line-line and line-ground) on both lines feeding your EVSE. Did you have damage to any electronics or other electrical equipment in the house?

Gerry

Contact Clipper Creek. I expect there is an input surge protector that may be damaged. I would think that the supplier would like to learn how the unit responded to lightning and might swap you out for a replacement.

The last (and only) time I experienced something like you describe, it was the EVSE (memTec...sells on eBay). Once they swapped out the (defective) EVSE, everything was fine. Focus on the L2 EVSE.

There were no error lights on either the Leafs or the EVSE.

Long story short, I discovered the voltage coming into my house was 137Vac! 127 is considered too high and out of spec by electrical code. I guess the storm damaged the transformer. The power company came out and fixed the voltage. Both cars now charge from the Clipper Creek EVSE without any problems. The Clipper Creek rep said that voltage was outside their operating parameters.

I had also noticed that my microwave and refrigerator were very loud ever since the storm. Now they are back to normal. I had a subwoofer that was also buzzy after the storm.

forummm said:

Long story short, I discovered the voltage coming into my house was 137Vac! 127 is considered too high and out of spec by electrical code. I guess the storm damaged the transformer. The power company came out and fixed the voltage. Both cars now charge from the Clipper Creek EVSE without any problems. The Clipper Creek rep said that voltage was outside their operating parameters.

I had also noticed that my microwave and refrigerator were very loud ever since the storm. Now they are back to normal. I had a subwoofer that was also buzzy after the storm.

Thanks for the update. I'm sure a lot of folks wouldn't have figured that out. At least nothing was permanently damaged (so says Darth Vader).

forummm said:

I would have never guessed voltage that high, if that is a 240v EVSE you were around 274v on the EVSE input. That's some serious power for devices that could use it (most won't).

Fortunately I happened to have a multimeter at home. Pretty uncommon, but helpful here.

Yeah, the outlet I plug my 240V EVSE into was registering 275Vac. Crazy.

forummm said:
Fortunately I happened to have a multimeter at home. Pretty uncommon, but helpful here.

Yes I've read that our 240v EVSEs max out at about 260v, too bad for me as at my work I could have access to a high current 277v commercial line but I'm not going to even try it as thats too much over 260v to consider.

jjeff said:
forummm said:

Yes I've read that our 240v EVSEs max out at about 260v, too bad for me as at my work I could have access to a high current 277v commercial line but I'm not going to even try it as thats too much over 260v to consider.

Would having a higher voltage would make the charging faster? The chargers are rated in terms of kW. But I assume that's at 240v. If the voltage is too high maybe they don't adjust the amperage draw downwards to balance out the increased voltage.

forummm said:
jjeff said:
forummm said:

Would having a higher voltage would make the charging faster? The chargers are rated in terms of kW. But I assume that's at 240v. If the voltage is too high maybe they don't adjust the amperage draw downwards to balance out the increased voltage.
I think it would. I work with both 208v commercial power and 240v residential and have noticed the maximum charging current is 27.5a on either, I get faster charging charging on 240v vs 208. Now maybe above 240v the current may actually decrease(making the total watts the same) but I'm not sure about that, maybe someone else knows.

forummm said:
jjeff said:
forummm said:

I have a 2012 Leaf with a 3.3kW charger. Note that this is the output rating. The input power is 3.6kW. When the voltage is 240V, it pulls 15A (3.6kW). On a public EVSE, where the voltage is 208V, I have measured it pulling about 17.5A (again, 3.6kW). I have seen as high as 18A when the voltage dips. So empirically, I know that at least for the 2012 Leaf, the charger will try to pull full power, and not just current. A higher voltage would cause the car to lower the current it draws.

GetOffYourGas said:
forummm said:
jjeff said:

I have a 2012 Leaf with a 3.3kW charger. Note that this is the output rating. The input power is 3.6kW. When the voltage is 240V, it pulls 15A (3.6kW). On a public EVSE, where the voltage is 208V, I have measured it pulling about 17.5A (again, 3.6kW). I have seen as high as 18A when the voltage dips. So empirically, I know that at least for the 2012 Leaf, the charger will try to pull full power, and not just current. A higher voltage would cause the car to lower the current it draws.
Interesting, I could have sworn my '13 maxed out at 27.5a no matter the voltage(even at 120v). Truthfully I rarely charge at the full 27.5a, I generally use my EVSEupgrade'd EVSE which is set for 19a, and puts out 19a no matter 200, 208 or 240v. My 30+a EVSE is generally plugged into my home 40a circuit but I did one time plug it into a 208v 30a outlet and I thought it maxed out at 27.5a, maybe I'm remembering wrong :? I do know though it maxes out at 27.5a on 240(237v) outlet.

GetOffYourGas said:
forummm said:
jjeff said:

This is useful info, thank you.

I am calculating how much juice a 2011 can get from a public 208V source versus an at-home 240v source. I know that my friend's 2011 charges slower on 208 than on 240- why might this be, if it compensating to get full power?

nedfunnell said:
GetOffYourGas said:
forummm said:

This is useful info, thank you.

I am calculating how much juice a 2011 can get from a public 208V source versus an at-home 240v source. I know that my friend's 2011 charges slower on 208 than on 240- why might this be, if it compensating to get full power?

Many Blink public L2 EVSE units are programmed to provide pilot signals which tell the onboard charger to limit current to minimize the risk of overheating their J1772 connectors. If the pilot signal from the EVSE restricts maximum current to 16 amperes (or less), a 2011/2012 Leaf will charge slower at 208 volts. A newer Leaf with 6 kW onboard charger will charge slower at 208 volts if the EVSE restricts current to less than 32 amperes.

Gerry

The L2 charger in your car has to multiply the input voltage to pump 400 volts DC into the battery however the gotcha is that lower volts and higher amps means going in means more heat in the chargers AC power supply circuits. When they get hot enough to start releasing the smoke stored inside them then you have a big problem. ;>

Look at voltage as volume and amperage as pressure. When volume is restricted then pressure goes up which generates heat at the point of restriction and or release.

On sensitive equipment I will put a line regulator on the power feed so that brownouts won't cause a destructive low voltage/high amperage situation. On my motorhome for example once such device is known as an AutoFormer and this has saved me thousands of dollars in repairs to electronics, appliances and the central air conditioning. Before things were constantly failing from brownout damage. It was almost an annual event relacing the hard start capacitors in the air conditioning and certain power supply boards however now that it has voltage correction thats all history.

Low voltage damage was one of my concerns about public charging stations and this thread appears to support the validity of that concern.

Many times its the power company itself at the root of the problem.

RockyNv said:
Look at voltage as volume and amperage as pressure. When volume is restricted then pressure goes up which generates heat at the point of restriction and or release.
Good on you for attempting an explanation, but your analogy is exactly backwards from the usual electricity/hydraulics dualism. Also, have a look at Bernoulli's principle.

Levenkay said:
RockyNv said:
Good on you for attempting an explanation, but your analogy is exactly backwards from the usual electricity/hydraulics dualism. Also, have a look at Bernoulli's principle.

In the Bernoulli principle there is thermal dynamics coming into play drawing heat from the media at the point of restriction. Causes burned/blown lines in compressed air systems and can reduce efficiency of heating systems as heat is drawn off before entering the room.

Keeping it simple the end result is still energy wasted as heat and increased potential for equipment damage in either system. In an electrical device any time voltage goes down amperage goes up to maintain the same wattage which means damaging heat.

AC Charger in a Leaf is still basically a pump to boost incoming alternating current ranging from one hundred twenty to two hundred something volts AC to four hundred volts along with convert it to DC to charge the battery,

Back