Is it safe to drive this leaf??

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsm

Hi,

I have had my leaf since 2013 and love it. Originally leased it now a proud owner. Unfortunately I had a small accident recently. I went over a couple of 6 inch concrete slabs at quite slow speed. Initially nothing felt wrong but when I got it home I realized that the bottom under cover is ripped and looks like the radiator tie bar etc is bumped.

I took it to the Nissan service dealer and their body shop and I am given a hefty estimate of $2K+. I am also told that the earliest they could get to will be 2nd week of July.

Car is driving fine and it is taking full charge and A/C etc. is working fine. My question to the experts are:

1. Is it safe to drive the car until July 2nd week until it is fixed. The service guy told me I should be fine.
2. As my insurance deductibles are quite high, I will have to end up bearing the entire cost. Would it be ok if I decide to not go for the radiator under cover and the other costs of replacing the bent radiator lower tie bar. Will it affect the car performance or pose a danger in driving? I only use it for drives for distances less than 25 miles at a time. That too I do not go on high ways.
3. As the dealers will do the entire fix only, I am thinking of going to a low cost body shop who can possibly just fix a temporary cover underneath and I could possibly just live with the other things as it does not affect the driving of the car.

Greatly appreciate the response and advice from the experts in this forum.

Thank you in anticipation.

JSM

pictures for the experts? (that does not include me)

but " I should be fine." for a couple weeks? then I'd be fine for the rest of the time. Maybe the pictures will help shed more light "under" the issue.

If the damage is not severe, and there is no stress on the actual radiator that could result in a future leak, I would leave it be. Just buy a new cover and plastic pins, and replace that yourself. The damaged cover just causes higher drag resulting in lower range.

What Baustin said.

If car runs fine, then I'd just leave it be. I'd get other bids before I took Nissan up to do anything.

Back