Can't connect my charger

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wallyglasseye

I hope someone can help I have just tried to connect my home charger to my car but the connector won't go into the charge point on my car. I haven't had any problems previously.

You may need to post more information than that. Is it the "charger" you received from the dealer? Did you look at both ends to see if they match?

Welcome, btw

It's my home charger, I've also tried using the charging cable which came with the car they won't fit right home, it's strange because they have both worked perfectly fine until now.

Sounds like mechanical interference. Possibly a bent/broken pin, but I seem to recall others here describing incidents where some sort of insulating sleeve, grommet, or O-ring that's normally part of r a charging cable's connector becomes detached, and is left behind in the other "side" of the connector. For that to explain a problem with multiple EVSEs not being able to plug into your car, I suppose that would mean that your car wound up retaining a piece of some other EVSE's connector, which causes interference with either of the two EVSE plugs you're trying to use at home.

Get a good strong flashlight and some tweezers or something, and inspect your LEAF's J1772 inlet connector carefully?

Since it is both your home EVSE and the portable unit, look for something obstructing the port on the car. If you don't see anything wrong with the port on the car, look at the EVSE connectors as noted below.

Some EVSE connectors have a seal that will interfere with plugging in to the car if the seal is out of position. I have fixed 2 or 3 dealer and public EVSEs (over the past 5 years) that were out of commission by pushing the seal back into position (using a small screwdriver or the blade of a pocketknife--would be preferable to use something plastic) so I could charge. It is not a common problem, but it can happen.

Edited to add: As Levenkay mentioned, it is possible a seal came off the last place you charged and is preventing your connectors from being fully inserted. Look in the circular area that the outside part of the EVSE connector slips in to (way down at the bottom of the groove). Most of the seals (or O-rings) on the EVSE connectors that get out of position are green in color.

Gerry

Thanks for the advice everyone, the problem was a sleeve which fits in the end of the plug coming loose and getting left behind in the bayonet fitting, it is held in place by 2 lugs and had somehow become disconnected.

i have be trying everything I can think of. I have two chargers..my 6.6kw charger and my 120v charger... Neither connect. I looked inside and could not find anything in there, and have not hooked up to other chargers recently.

Tomarrow I will try again. I hate the thought of disassembling the front top and getting really into this.....

dhyatt said:
i have be trying everything I can think of. I have two chargers..my 6.6kw charger and my 120v charger... Neither connect. I looked inside and could not find anything in there, and have not hooked up to other chargers recently.

Tomarrow I will try again. I hate the thought of disassembling the front top and getting really into this.....

Are you saying it won't physically plug in (the subject of this thread), or that once plugged in, won't initiate charge? If it's a physical blockage I wouldn't expect to have to disassemble the car unless the inlet needs replacement. All of the mating surfaces are exposed and viewable.

Back