Problems with USB Thumb Drives

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PianoAl

I'm having some problems with different thumb drives.

Some work okay, for some, the display says "Check USB memory or iPod," and for some it say "no music found" even though there are MP3 files present.

I'm experimenting to figure out the problems, but if anyone has solved this, please let me know.

Thanks.

Thank you for posting this. I have been wondering why most of my music on my usb thumb drive doesn't show up.

I've tried 2 usb thumb drives and they both work with some of the files on the stick. 5,000-6000 songs and I think maybe 1,000 only show up.

They're all mp3. Is it the ID3 tag info?

I've been experimenting.

I have two identical Kingston 15 GB thumb drives. One works and one does not. I'm reformating the failed one.

I've found that the albums will be displayed in the order they are copied to the drive. Not in alphabetical order.

I think that if there are too many files on the drive, the Leaf gets confused.

> 5,000-6000 songs and I think maybe 1,000 only show up.
For CDs, the max number of files (from the Leaf manual) is 999. That probably explains it:

Folder levels: 8, Max folders: 255 (including root folder), Files: 999 (Max. 255 files for one folder

Reformatting that Kingston thumb drive didn't fix it.

Copying files from iTunes folders works, that is, the Leaf drills down and finds the albums, but they're all out of order. That makes it impossible to find what you want when you're driving (and dangerous).

I'm experimenting with ways to fix that.

Here's a solution to the problem of albums being out of order:

Go here and download an app that will copy files in alphabetical order: http://www.compulsivecode.com/project_copyinorder.aspx

CYA statement: Use at your own risk.

I gave up on Leaf mp3 playback, too finicky, impossible Ui, and somehow sound is too harsh to my ear, inferior mp3 codec probably. A smartphone or dedicated media player over Bluetooth or Aux is the way to go imo. On a 2011 Leaf anyway, not sure if there were any improvements on newer models.

PianoAl said:
For CDs, the max number of files (from the Leaf manual) is 999. That probably explains it:

Folder levels: 8, Max folders: 255 (including root folder), Files: 999 (Max. 255 files for one folder
You think the USB drive is treated the same as a CD?

That wouldn't make too much sense to cap the capacity at 999 on a thumb drive. I can understand on a CD.

The order in which you load them makes sense. I've added more songs and none of the new songs show up.

I don't think I have more than 255 folders total but could be pretty close.

I haven't seen this posted anywhere, but some Leaf audio-heads act differently than others. This might be related to the trim level, where some Leafs have nav, some have cameras, and others don't. It might also be related to software updates or revisions.

Does anyone know if this is detailed anywhere?

Bob

LeafMuranoDriver said:
PianoAl said:

You think the USB drive is treated the same as a CD?

That wouldn't make too much sense to cap the capacity at 999 on a thumb drive. I can understand on a CD.

I'm just guessing, based on my experimentation, but that's the impression I get.

Valdemar said:
I gave up on Leaf mp3 playback, too finicky, impossible Ui, and somehow sound is too harsh to my ear, inferior mp3 codec probably. A smartphone or dedicated media player over Bluetooth or Aux is the way to go imo. On a 2011 Leaf anyway, not sure if there were any improvements on newer models.

Glad you posted this. I plugged in an old iPod Touch, and the interface was great. Album images, etc. So I think I'll give up on thumb drives.

Found the info in the manual. I thought I had looked but must have missed this.

USB is 2,500 max songs and/or 255 max folders. This is my issue. I had 500+ folders with 9,000+ songs. I deleted a bunch and new songs showed up.

They seem to be in the order that the songs were written to the usb drive which is all mixed up and not in alpha-numeric order.

j5cc61.jpg

I found that by putting my music folders in a sub-folder, then the order is correct. Also the reader was limited to 10M even though I had 16 M of music. I had a folder called EV, then dropped all the artist & mix folders into EV and it maintained the correct order, see example
EV
|80's
|90's
|Alt-Rock
|Beatles

and so on.

Back