LED Low Beam Headlight failed, now what?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turbo3

Leaf Supporting Member
What are people doing when one of the LED low-beams headlights goes dead? They don't seem to be replaceable like all the other light bulbs. Seems you need to replace the entire light assembly that runs into the hundreds of dollars ($800+).

First, I would have a mechanic (not Nissan) check to make sure that the bulb is in fact bad... Possibly a wire or a fuse could have gone on the circuit. Then start thinking replacement. I cant imagine a headlight that does not have a replaceable bulb...

I already checked the fuse and it is good. The service manual does not show any access to the LEDs (2 used for the low beams). They seem to be sealed into the headlight assembly. If you look at the headlights you can not actually see the LEDs as they use reflectors and the light comes from below. There is headlamp control module that attaches to the bottom of the headlight assembly.

The next step is to determine if the LEDs are bad or if the module is bad. Swap left and right modules. Does the problem move with the module? If so, then the module is bad, not the LEDs.

Bob

Valdemar said:
Aren't LEDs supposed to last 50000 hours?

They should last, but there have been a few failures noted on the forum (most happened within 3-year 36,000 warranty and replaced by Nissan). If it were on my car and out of warranty, I would consider one from a junkyard (if less than 1/2 of new price) or reluctantly pay the price for a new part and install myself.

Gerry

It looks like you should be able to find one for $400-$500 on http://www.car-part.com
It looks like there was a part change, perhaps halogen to LED, between 3/11 and 4/11, according to their search engine.

Ok, you have determined that the fuse is good, Now disconnect the headlight and turn on the headlights. Check with a meter that you are getting 12v to the headlight cluster. If you get power, then something in the headlight of off. Since you are out of warrantee and you would have to buy another one anyway, it doesn't hurt to try to open up the cluster and play around with the connections.

I cant imagine a totally sealed headlight cluster because to build them they had assemble a lot of parts. There have to be hidden plastic tabs that you don't know about which holds it together. If you cannot see any way to open it, then go to a Nissan dealer with the headlight in your hand, and ask for a favor to show you how to open it...

If it is truly sealed, go the highest building you can find and have some fun watching the headlight open instantly against the ground!

Turbo3 said:
What are people doing when one of the LED low-beams headlights goes dead? They don't seem to be replaceable like all the other light bulbs. Seems you need to replace the entire light assembly that runs into the hundreds of dollars ($800+).
Our 2011 had the left headlight assembly replaced because of a broken mount tab. Everything worked when it was removed. I kept the original assembly "just because", but would donate it to your cause to clean off my work bench. Perhaps you can dissect it for the bulb you need or repair it for a swap. You pay the shipping and I'll do the packing.

HighDesertDriver said:
Turbo3 said:
Our 2011 had the left headlight assembly replaced because of a broken mount tab. Everything worked when it was removed. I kept the original assembly "just because", but would donate it to your cause to clean off my work bench. Perhaps you can dissect it for the bulb you need or repair it for a swap. You pay the shipping and I'll do the packing.
Thanks for the generous offer. I have sent you a PM.

By "left" I assume you mean the driver's side assembly. Is that correct?

Once I have a closer look at it I can see how the bulbs are actually mounted and post some pictures. If they are replaceable but with more work than Nissan thinks their service people can handle that would be good to know. If we are lucky perhaps even the LEDs are available too once we know what they look like.

I know this was a very long time ago but I was wondering how you went about fixing your issue is you ever did? My LED headlight just went out on my 2011 and don't want to pay the ridiculous amount they are asking to fix it which is close to the trade in value of the car.

I just had my low beam go out on my 2012 Leaf, and refuse to pay for a new unit. It is not too hard to get into. There are a handfull of screws, some plastic tabs, and a very sticky sealant holding the two halves of the unit together. Once inside, it is easy to get to the two LED chips. On mine, both chips are completely fine, but the welds holding a small flexible lead between the chip and plug terminals had all failed. The chips light up just fine if I press the leads down. I am currently trying to solder the leads back, but am having trouble getting enough heat to the pads without damaging the chip. They seem to have designed a pretty good heat sink on these... I have been documenting and will post a full update when I figure it out.

Well the repair worked! I preheated the heat sink and chip with a heat gun before soldering. It would be nice to find replacement LED chips in case it is more than just the leads, but I suspect that most of the failures are the same problem. It seems like a very weak part of the design. I will create a new thread with all the details when I get it together.

Back