A pillar visibility a huge problem

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heywatchit

I've had my LEAF for about 6 months now and there have been at least half a dozen times that due to the large A pillar I did not see another vehicle to my left or right at a four-way stop and almost had an accident. The typical scenario is I come to a four way stop, see no vehicle ahead, think I see no vehicle to the left or right and proceed. About half way into the intersection I suddenly see another vehicle entering from the left or right. I either frantically hit the accelerator or brake and have to show this embarrassed and frightened look on my face to say "Sorry!".

How many of you have experienced this? It is a major design flaw they need to address in future versions of the LEAF.

I agree with OP, A pillar visibility sucks- but I got used to it. It's just another blind spot you have to check. It doesn't bother me anymore, though.

Somewhere on mynissanleaf.com I pointed out the same exact problem, but as it applies to a MOVING pedestrian jogger, etc.

If the rate of turn of the car operation matches up with the rate of the pedestrian, they will never be seen by the driver. While one might expect that a pedestrian would look, we are in the age of self absorption, and living in a phone screen...

I've had two close calls, but have gotten better about being vigilant... Driver beware, and carry good insurance....

I notice it the most at certain <90 degree intersections when it blocks my view of traffic from the right. A lot of head movement is required to overcome the blind spot. Second nature now, but took some adjustment.

As others do, I move my head around more to look around it.

But I think this is also a general problem in most modern cars. A-pillars have become much thicker due to better safety standards to withstand crashes without deforming, and to accommodate an airbag in the pillar.

Never had problems with cars but had to slam on the brakes several times to avoid running over a pedestrian. One time it was real close, scary, made me paranoid. I have my seat all the way back, I suspect this may be a factor.

I find the LEAF to have a better visibility in all directions of gaze than the Volt. All my head bobbing and scanning learned in the Volt has served me well in the LEAF.

Additionally, the pedestrian warning whine and reverse beeping is essential to be able to maneuver parking lots and city streets.

I would give the LEAF 7/10 for visibility and the Volt a 4/10 subtracting another point to 3/10 for lack of pedestrian warning. People literally walk straight towards the car when it is moving!

EVforRobert said:
I find the LEAF to have a better visibility in all directions of gaze than the Volt. All my head bobbing and scanning learned in the Volt has served me well in the LEAF.

Additionally, the pedestrian warning whine and reverse beeping is essential to be able to maneuver parking lots and city streets.

I would give the LEAF 7/10 for visibility and the Volt a 4/10 subtracting another point to 3/10 for lack of pedestrian warning. People literally walk straight towards the car when it is moving!

As a "normal" height driver (5' 9") of both I don't agree on the visibility. The only thing I think is an advantage in the LEAF (and this is only because my wife has the driver's seat elevated in the Volt) is the extra visibility provided by a higher roofline. To get around that, I go lowrider on the seat height. However, I can see how it might be a problem if you're taller than average and already have the seat as low as it can go.

As for pedestrians, you could always give them a "chirp". :idea:

mwalsh said:
EVforRobert said:

As a "normal" height driver (5' 9") of both I don't agree on the visibility. The only thing I think is an advantage in the LEAF (and this is only because my wife has the driver's seat elevated in the Volt) is the extra visibility provided by a higher roofline. To get around that, I go lowrider on the seat height. However, I can see how it might be a problem if you're taller than average and already have the seat as low as it can go.

As for pedestrians, you could always give them a "chirp". :idea:
So if we define 10/10 a jeep with the windshield down and no top, and 0/10 a tank,
what do you give the Volt and LEAF?

OP: Consider moving your seat backward and see if you can find a position that is better. The closer to the A pillar you are, the larger the blind spot.

EVforRobert said:

I totally agree. The Volt windshield pillars are really wide. I was driving my Volt near my home at 15 MPH and almost collided with a car driving on a cross street. Even though we both were going less than 20 MPH my forward motion kept the other car hidden behind the pillar. It was only because of the other car frantically sounding his horn that I was able to avoid a slow motion collision.

The overarching issue is the government roll over safety standard. All cars now have to meet this and that means thicker "A" pillars. Some manufacturers are experimenting with cameras and thin panel displays in the pillar to overcome this issue.

Back